Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:50:04 AM EDT
A friend offered me a job at a local gunshop the pay is 12 + commission.  I am thinking about it just because I am really bored at home right now and I am waiting to hear back from some law enforcement agencies.

My other question is do you think law enforcement agencies would see me as a "gun nut"?  (especially since this is in California.)

OH the other cool thing is they have a outdoor range and a pistol smith so i might be able to brush up on my 1911 smithing...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I work in a shop here in UT.  It is a lot of fun.  I couldn't tell you what an LE agency might think. (Apparently, some recruiters see CCW's as proof of gun-nuttery).  
I say do it and have fun.  If you are every questioned about it, tell them you needed food and heat too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Not now, but throughout my life I have worked the counter at various FFLs as a hobby job.  Usually a couple of hours in the evening and the odd day on the weekend just to get the discount and enjoy the comraderie.

Rule Number 1 - Working in a gunshop costs you money, no matter what they are paying you. It is not a source of income.

Rule Number 2 - You will eventually become a Gun Control advocate after working with the armed unwashed public after a period of time.  You will realize that a)there are plenty of folks who shouldn't own guns, but do, and b) generalities are generally correct.

Rule Number 3 - If you work at a range that is open to the public, or at a shop that repairs firearms, you will want a vest.  See Rule Number One....you're already $500 in the hole.

Rule Number 4 - Gunshops are a lot like California.  Sure, it can be real nice to visit, but it's no place to live.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not now, but throughout my life I have worked the counter at various FFLs as a hobby job.  Usually a couple of hours in the evening and the odd day on the weekend just to get the discount and enjoy the comraderie.

Rule Number 1 - Working in a gunshop costs you money, no matter what they are paying you. It is not a source of income.

Rule Number 2 - You will eventually become a Gun Control advocate after working with the armed unwashed public after a period of time.  You will realize that a)there are plenty of folks who shouldn't own guns, but do, and b) generalities are generally correct.

Rule Number 3 - If you work at a range that is open to the public, or at a shop that repairs firearms, you will want a vest.  See Rule Number One....you're already $500 in the hole.

Rule Number 4 - Gunshops are a lot like California.  Sure, it can be real nice to visit, but it's no place to live.

Good luck.  

This man speaks the truth! Gunsmith 16 years.. Now retired.. Oh thank God!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

well at least working in a CA gunshop there is hardly anything cool to buy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Good luck.  

yeah i have seen bullet holes in the benches, damn scary!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My other question is do you think law enforcement agencies would see me as a "gun nut"?  (especially since this is in California.)

That would be an agency-to-agency, investigator-to-investigator matter.  Some will, and there's nothing you can do about that.  Some won't.  Some might question you about it.  If you do it, I would have an "explanation" ready... I needed a temporary job, a friend offered it, and it's been a great learning experience dealing with different types of people... spin it baby!

Are you still in San Diego?  Your profile still says GA.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good luck.  

+1
worked almost 7 years in a range/shop.

Most of the time you will be displaying and showing guns that they are just going to order from elsewhere and do a transfer. Commision? LOL. Good luck.

Try for more hourly pay and skip the commision.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Good luck.  

I guess I can agree with most of that...  I worked at a shop for about 2-years part-time and I did it for the discounts!  I could get new guns for $10 over cost and I was fresh out of College and I had sold most of my guns off to help pay for school so I was looking for a way to restock!

I learned a lot and it was a lot of fun but I was there to learn and buy guns...  I was not there to make money!  I was only making $6/hr + commissions but my day job has always paid me quite well and there were many weeks my commision checks were much higher then my wadge.

I would do it again as at the time I didn't have kids...  Now, there is no way (well unless I lost my day job).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Professional Gunsmith since Feb 1983. Retired 2004.  This man (SevenMary) speaketh the truth, yea verily. Also, the customers usually want whatever they own fixed yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends what the commission is. Shop I worked at for 5 years paid us $12hr + commission. Commission was $5 for every gun sold. Worked out pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be an agency-to-agency, investigator-to-investigator matter.  Some will, and there's nothing you can do about that.  Some won't.  Some might question you about it.  If you do it, I would have an "explanation" ready... I needed a temporary job, a friend offered it, and it's been a great learning experience dealing with different types of people... spin it baby!

Are you still in San Diego?  Your profile still says GA.

Yep back in CA, (i need to change my profile) I am actually up in orange county right now, once in a while i come back to san diego.  I really dont like OC that much and would rather come back to SD...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Depends what the commission is. Shop I worked at for 5 years paid us $12hr + commission. Commission was $5 for every gun sold. Worked out pretty good.

I made far less per hour but my commission sales were much higher!  I wish I could remember the exact amount (it has been almost 15-years) but mine was on a % with used guns and really nothing on a new gun (perhaps a couple bucks but really insignificant).

I learned quick to learn what we had used and show customers the latest used guns when they were looking!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#13]
A little over four years as a merchant of death.  SevenMaryThree is right on all counts.  Don't do it too long, and you should be OK.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#14]
When I started my job at the indoor range/gunsmith area of a retail store, I still thought gun people where a notch above the rest of the unwashed population.  I am now know that the majority of us  are shockingly ignorant about firearms and their use.  
A very select few are incredilbly proficient in the area and intellectually elite compared to the rest of the general population.  It's these guys and gals that keep the hope alive for the next generation.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good luck.  

I am gonna post this in the break room at work!! And it is not just the people who don't know what they are doing you have to watch. There is always at least one commando working there that actually does know a lot about guns, but seems to have forgotten that there are safety rules that need to be adhered to.  And you will get to deal with his dumb ass EVERY day.

Look around at the shop you are contemplating working at. I guarantee you will find bullet holes where there shouldn't be and somebody who knew better probably did it.

Other than that, it's not so bad, but I certainly don't do it for the money.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Good luck.  

+1  

After working in gun shops from 2000-2004.  I now hate people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Its fun when you work the gun counter but less fun when you work in management.

Commission sounds great, almost wish we had that here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I guess in any other world this would be a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I worked at a gun shop with an attached range for a few years.  Aside from the numb nuts that sometimes darkened our door, I'd have to say I enjoyed working there.  I had to learn to shut my ears off when the bullshit started flowing, or I played along.  My boss would laugh at me for one upping the bullshit artists.  I did see alot of safety infractions but we took care of them quite fast.  Most times we corrected the action and that was enough for most people, but the real morons who screwed up on the range would have their weapon cleared out for them, the gear packed up, and shown the door.  Three armed men surrounding you makes even the dumbest guy take notice.  Idiots aside, I loved talking with my regular customers.  They really made the day go by fast.  Once you get to know people, you make friends with them quite fast and they become like family.  I hated to leave the shop, but the ownership was changing and there wasn't any room left for me.  So I went and crossed into the blue.  Being in the Chair Force makes me miss working in that old, cluttered, smoke filled, lead infested shop even more.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top