Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:36:39 AM EDT
It seems to work quite well, its a little tough to regulate temps, but so far so good.

I just put the meat on the left side of the grill, turned the right side onto low, and tossed a whole chunk of (hickory) wood on the grill.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a crappy grill with burned-out burners that I'm thinking about using as a smoker. Anyone else have photos/descriptions of such?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
just toss a chunk of firewood on it, turn it on low. easy as that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a crappy grill with burned-out burners that I'm thinking about using as a smoker. Anyone else have photos/descriptions of such?

Is the grill rusted out or the burners?  New burners are pretty cheap at Lowes/Home Depot.

To use it as a smoker, shut off one burner.  That is your "smoker" side.  Get a cast iron smoker box filled with wood chips and put it over the burner on the "hot" side.  

That's the easy way to do it.  Meat goes on the "smoker" side, as far away from the heat as possible.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I grilled a steak yesterday on my gas grill. Sort of. I put Jack Daniels oak barrel chunks in the smoker box. I even soaked them for 4 hours in water.  But I put the steak, which was very fatty, over the smoker box, fat dripped down, and the smoker box caught fire.  I turned off the gas and finished the cooking over an open oak wood flame.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
too hard to control the air flow (and thus the temp) in a typical grill to actually smoke.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I grilled a steak yesterday on my gas grill. Sort of. I put Jack Daniels oak barrel chunks in the smoker box. I even soaked them for 4 hours in water.  But I put the steak, which was very fatty, over the smoker box, fat dripped down, and the smoker box caught fire.  I turned off the gas and finished the cooking over an open oak wood flame.

Next time cover the smoker box with aluminum foil, and then punch some holes in the foil so the smoke can get out.  Too much air = FIRE!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top