Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:27:17 AM EDT
Was at our local WinCo foods buying some basics.  They had just received a shipment of mexican Coke and I figured what the heck.  Put two cases in the bottom of the cart.

At the check out stand, rather than pull both cases of the cart, I placed a single bottle up for the checker and told her it was for two cases.  

Wasn't until I got home and looked at the receipt until I noticed that instead of two cases of Coke, she only charged me for two BOTTLES of Coke.

That's right, I got two cases of Coke for $1.96.

Don't you just love stupid people.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Was at our local WinCo foods buying some basics.  They had just received a shipment of mexican Coke and I figured what the heck.  Put two cases in the bottom of the cart.

At the check out stand, rather than pull both cases of the cart, I placed a single bottle up for the checker and told her it was for two cases.  

Wasn't until I got home and looked at the receipt until I noticed that instead of two cases of Coke, she only charged me for two BOTTLES of Coke.

That's right, I got two cases of Coke for $1.96.

Don't you just love stupid people.

IBTL/ In before the Ban

Go back and make it right.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the wally-mart leaf blower story.
I.B.T.S.S.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
another "pressure washer story"

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Normally, I would go back and correct their error.  

But I am fed up with people making stupid mistakes.

Why should I feel guilty about someone making an error due to there own carelessness?

Do you think they would make it right if they overcharged me?  Would they call me up or track me down to refund the overcharge?

It is not my responsibility to supervise their employees.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Almost the same thing happened to me the other day, but the cashier was so damn cute that I immediately seized the opportunity to go and talk to her again.  She really liked my honesty.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Almost the same thing happened to me the other day, but the cashier was so damn cute that I immediately seized the opportunity to go and talk to her again.  She really liked my honesty.  

You call your cock "honesty"?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I probably wouldn't make another trip to go back and correct the problem either, since coke isn't exactly a high dollar item.

But I wouldn't be proud of myself for stealing soda and write about it on an internet message board either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#8]
You probably should have just kept this little score/steal to your self.

I don't think this is going to end well. Did you really think people here were going to say "wow you are soooo cool, good theif"
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
You made an honest attempt to get her to ring up the right amount and committed no fraud.

Damn if I'd go all the way back for two cases of coke.
At some point, corporations and their employees must be responsible for their own mistakes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
How is it theft?

I entered into a business transaction fully expecting to pay full retail for my purchase.  Through no action of my own, a clerk made a mistake. I told the clerk the quantitiy of the item I was purchasing, fully expecting to pay the full amount for said item.

A mistake on their part does not constitute theft on my part.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How is it theft?

I entered into a business transaction fully expecting to pay full retail for my purchase.  Through no action of my own, a clerk made a mistake. I told the clerk the quantitiy of the item I was purchasing, fully expecting to pay the full amount for said item.

until you noticed you got the "discount" and didn't correct it

THAT makes you a thief

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#12]
theres a huge shitcloud coming.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
edit
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#14]
IBTL
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
another "pressure washer story"

+1.

See sigline below.

|
|
|
|
|
V
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Last time this happend someone broke in and stole a generator.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Let me see if i get this straight. You went to a store and did not notice your basic purchase was off by what, 12 bucks maybe until you got home?

(I'm guessing here. I have no idea what cases of soda cost, but that should have been noticeable right at the checkout)  

And yes, you are a thief.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How is it theft?

until you noticed you got the "discount" and didn't correct it

THAT makes you a thief

[Devil's Advocate]If the store had noticed that they had over charged him for an item, then would it be their responsibility to bring a refund to his house? Would they be thieves if they did not?[/Devil's Advocate]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like a mistake.

The fact that you called it a "score" makes it theft.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had this happen to me and every time I have made it right with the store.  Once I had the store manager say "for being honest you get to keep it".  Make it right, you'll feel better for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Intent is a necessary component of theft, and since the OP didn't intent to not pay the appropriate price, what he didn't isn't theft.  Bragging about the "score" here, however, shows a decided lack of judgment.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#22]
So your dignity is only worth the price of a couple of cases of soda...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Sometimes I've gotten an extra chicken nugget in my little nugget box at the fast-food place. I used to feel guilty about it, but, then I realized that they probably wouldn't be able to sell it again anyways if I brought it back to them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Probably shouldn't have posted this here.

big time train wreck headed this way.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I seriously doubt that WinCo would give two shits if they had overcharged you instead, and I don't think cashier incompetence qualifies as theft...

...but bragging about it isn't the classiest thing to do, either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I admit that calling this a 'score' and bragging about it was not the proper way to report this.

But at what point do we finally say enough and stop the hand holding?  If a store was to charge me for two cases of coke when I only bought two bottles and I didn't notice it until I got home, I'll eat it and think lesson learned for not paying attention.

Should I hold them to a different standard?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
go back and make it right...

but my main concern is...i can't find any mexican coke here to save my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT MEXICAN COKE DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
uh-oh
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Personally, I wouldn't sweat it too much over a case of Coke, assuming I discovered it after the fact. It's not worth the gas to go back and correct their mistake. Had you noticed it at the time, you would be evil for not correcting it. I think the biggest issue people are having is that there appears to be glee involved, as if you "got one over on the man".
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#30]
You didn't "steal" it as some of these sanctimonious asshats are suggesting.  You told her what you had, and if you sincerely didn't realize it at the time, I wouldn't feel bad.  If you go back now, they're gonna think you're a complete kook, and you're wasting your time because of that clerk's inattention/carelessness/ineptitude.

How often does the same grocery store have something marked on the shelf for one price and then charge you a higher price at the register?  Happens to me ALL the time, and I know I'm not alone.  Grocery stores make millions off doing this, whether it's intentional or not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I think calling this theft borders on retarded, as has been stated the OP did say it was for two cases of coke, and sometimes you don't notice a price discrepancy untill later, stuff happens

And just for kicks....I'm going to share my own story along these lines.

I went to a store and bought a new mountain bike that was marked at $115 clearly on the front of the bike, and I got a few other not so expensive things and when I went to check out, the total came to $57.12 and so I asked the cashier if he had remembered to scan the bike, he said he did and it rang up for $37 something, and so he scanned it again, it rang up for $37 and he just kind of looked at it and told me "if it rings up for 37 then it must be 37, so asked if he was sure...he said yes, and I paid and went about my life....am I a criminal now?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I think calling this theft borders on retarded, as has been stated the OP did say it was for two cases of coke, and sometimes you don't notice a price discrepancy untill later, stuff happens

I went to a store and bought a new mountain bike that was marked at $115 clearly on the front of the bike, and I got a few other not so expensive things and when I went to check out, the total came to $57.12 and so I asked the cashier if he had remembered to scan the bike, he said he did and it rang up for $37 something, and so he scanned it again, it rang up for $37 and he just kind of looked at it and told me "if it rings up for 37 then it must be 37, so asked if he was sure...he said yes, and I paid and went about my life....am I a criminal now?

Yes. And you will be banned accordingly
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
go back and make it right...

but my main concern is...i can't find any mexican coke here to save my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT MEXICAN COKE DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!

I know someone who's got a couple free cases laying around, maybe I'll see if he'll ship them to you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Let me ask you this, if you had gotten home and discovered that the store had overcharged you, would you go back and demand it be corrected?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I admit that the way I posted this was wrong.

My boasting about this was not so much about 'look at what I did' as much as a poor attempt to point out the carelessness of others.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Let me ask you this, if you had gotten home and discovered that the store had overcharged you, would you go back and demand it be corrected?

See, that's COMPLETELY different.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#37]
FZ1steve:

See my post at the top of page two.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

My boasting about this was not so much about 'look at what I did' as much as a poor attempt to point out the carelessness of others.

Yet you carelessly failed to check your receipt while still in the store. That does not speak highly of your own level of attention to detail.

If they had overcharged you by an equal amount, would you shrug and say "I should have been more careful," when you noticed the error?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Depends how much they overcharged me. Sometimes it's not worth worrying about. I know people who won't leave the store until they've gone over every line item on a $200 grocery receipt, though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Do the right thing - call them up and tell them to drive to your house for a check if they want the rest of the money. I'm damn sure not using my gas and my time to go correct their mistake over a couple of bucks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
FZ1steve:

See my post at the top of page two.

I think you should break in tonight through the HVAC ducts and put all except 2 of the bottles back.

ETA: Just kidding, in case TBK reads this. I'm not seriously condoning illegal activities.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet you carelessly failed to check your receipt while still in the store. That does not speak highly of your own level of attention to detail.

Now come on...who checks their receipt in the store? I don't. Hell, I never look at my receipts.

Then again, I watch the screen while my items are being rung up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#43]
You sold yourself out cheap.  Next time hold out for a pressure washer.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Now come on...who checks their receipt in the store? I don't. Hell, I never look at my receipts.

+1 on that whole process.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always check my receipt. I also watch the screen.

And stop using Hemi-Cuda's avatar! I want to know with whom I am conversing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. And you will be banned accordingly

Yeah, I should have started a fight with drawn down on him because I felt like I should pay the full price even though he insisted on the other one
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And yes, you are a thief.

Are you going to contact law enforcement in California and have them go pick him up?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#50]
If you discover a price mistake after leaving the store, no, you are not a thief.  The right thing to do, though, is to go back and try to make it right.  The difference is an awfully small amount to sell your integrity and self-respect for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top