Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2007 6:56:16 PM EDT
I would like to hear other peoples thoughts!
What do you think it means, if anything? ....... and why?
Will this be the famous, TEOTWAWKI?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
According to my bitter Mayan, Aztec, Inca prof in college, it doesn't really "end", but starts over.

I mean, the calender on my wall ends in October and I'm not freaking out. I'm buying a new calender.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My post from another thread:

December 21st, 2012 A.D
That's when planet X will be here, and causes the end of the long count calendar, this the Mayans knew.
TEOTWAWKI begins. and that is when TSHTF........
who knows what they will be like.....I suppose like Pharaoh's and such, likely with different gods. (time to start over again, there won't be to many survivors left to convert, after the introduction of the other planet in our solar system, it's really going to cause alot of hell on earth here, we will welcome their arrival and the technology they bring, even if we have to build their stupid pyramids.)

Oh! I'm sorry "or Hillary will win, and it's all over sooner than expected....

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mayans are extinct. What the fuck do they know?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
According to my bitter Mayan, Aztec, Inca prof in college, it doesn't really "end", but starts over.

I mean, the calender on my wall ends in October and I'm not freaking out. I'm buying a new calender.

The heck kind of calendar ends in OCTOBER?

I'm having flashbacks to that episode of Kino's Journey where she runs into a town that thinks the world is going to end. Then when it doesn't, everybody is like "now what are we supposed to do?"

Then at the end, a bunch of idiots who ALSO think the world is going to end go and totally waste the first town because they think it will avert the apocalypse. So in a way, the world DID end for the first bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
S will HTF in 2012 but not because the Myans say so but because of the events that will take place in 2008 up 2012. Once it begins there is no stopping it. Prepare yourself.

I'm glad my driver license is good until January 30th 2013.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this when the zombies are supposed to be coming back to life? I will have to write the Zombie Survival Guide people and see whats up...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
But they didnt predict the Spanish now did they?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Who sells a calendar that only goes to October?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
05/05/05.....Isn't that when all the planets lined up?

The Mayan calendar doesn't predict anything. It just stops. Have you ever gone for a walk and jut turned around and went home? Did that mean that you reached the end of the world and couldn't walk any farther?????
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is this when the zombies are supposed to be coming back to life? I will have to write the Zombie Survival Guide people and see whats up...

Great.   So that's what the "ressurection" is all about.  Dead bodies brought back by Christ as zombies who will chomp on the living.  We should start several rallying points so that the Arfcom Nation can emerge from this mess.

"I pledge allegience, to flag, of the Arfcom Nation, and to the guns, which we bear- against all enemies, foreign and domestic, with emphasis on domestic-as one Nation, under God, with guns and bullets for all.  Amen."
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I've heard that is the precise day that the Sun, Earth and Super Massive Black Hole at the center of our galaxy will be in alignment causing the magnetic poles to invert seriously disrupting the Van Allen Radiation Belt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
December 21st, 2012 A.D, The End of the Mayan Long Count Calendar  

I have done a lot of research into this.  My research leads me to believe that at the end of the Mayan Long Count, if the world doesn't end then they will call a time out and punt it away.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've heard that is the precise day that the Sun, Earth and Super Massive Black Hole at the center of our galaxy will be in alignment causing the magnetic poles to invert seriously disrupting the Van Allen Radiation Belt.

OMG! Get me a submarine and Joan Fontaine!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Spanish arrival did match up with something in one of the other Myan calanders.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
05/05/05.....Isn't that when all the planets lined up?

The Mayan calendar doesn't predict anything. It just stops. Have you ever gone for a walk and jut turned around and went home? Did that mean that you reached the end of the world and couldn't walk any farther?????

Happened to me once. I wrote a book about it.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Piss on that stupid Mayan calender.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Obviously not how to create a small pox vaccine, or basic quarantine procedures.

Other then that, they weren't exactly idiots.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Other than building pyramids that look like the rest of the pyramids in the world, what other glittering gems of genius did they share?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here are some ideas of what will happen in 2012

The zenith meridian at Giza runs through Jupiter at the Hyades in Taurus. The metaphor for this alignment is that the kingdom (Jupiter) will be restored to Egypt (Taurus) at that precise moment. Thus, Osiris, the Bull of Egypt, will return from the dead at 22:18:13 on December 21, 2012. If these calculations can be backed up, they will have fulfilled the ancient prophecy. It will also prove that the Hall of Records is the stars. Remember one simple fact. Everything we are and everything we can know, is within the stars.  That was the fundamental synoptic meaning of the Giza complex.

Wow.  That makes perfect sense!  I knew it!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than building pyramids, what other glittering gems of genius did they share with the world?

They did figure out how to cut the beating heart out of their fellow man with a sharp rock while he was still alive in order to appease the rain God Chac.  What's wrong with you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're working on that, and should have Volume II of the Mayan calendar out sometime late 2011.

Well, as long as it doesn't use Windows Vista we should be good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone has been watching the history channel!  Damn, its on again (23:00 Central)

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna mock all you suckers on 12/22/12 just like I did on 1/1/00.

Except it's gonna be bigger, louder, and meaner.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The long count calander keeps track of the actual wobble of the earth on it's axis. The end of the calander just means the wobble has come full circle and is starting another cycle.

The precessive "wobble" of Earth's axis takes 26,000 years to go full circle.  Does the Mayan calendar work for that long?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The Mayan are NOT dead, they just left.
They're out on tour working as 'roadies' for Elvis, I think they're out on Alpha Centuri this week....

Sheesh, earthlings......
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
ZOMG ITEOTWAWKI !!!
Got my gun, my family, bullets, water, food, and dog... BRING IT FOOLS

Actually it's all speculation its when a few planets line up. The Aztec based their calendars off of astronomy and did not know how o predict what would happen after 2012 A.D. BAsically calendar starts all over again.

j0hn
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The Flying Spaghetti Monster will protect the believers with his noodly appendage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#29]
"The End of the Mayan Calendar is scheduled for December 21, 2012 (give or take a year). "

Oh now isn't that just oh so comforting. We are all gearing up for it in 2012 and when it doesn't its time to celebrate by firing off a crap load of our stockpiles of ammo just for the zombies to come for us in 2013. Won't that just bite the big one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Mayan Long Count Calendar 2.0 (beta)
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#31]
IDK what happens, but if any ladies on December 20th don't want to die a virgin. . . .

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#32]
My great uncle was one the leading authorities in the world on the interpretation of the Mayan calendar.

He wasn't concerned.

In the simplest terms, this is like getting worked up because you saw a 2007 calendar that ended on December 31st and concluded that the calendar maker knew that's when the world was going to end. It's just the end of THAT calendar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
It'll be just another day, unless an ARFCOMMER goes batshit crazy and acts like the world is ending.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
For the Mayans, the world ended a long time ago.

Exactly.  If they were so damn smart, why aren't we speaking Mayan right now?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It'll be just another day, unless an ARFCOMMER goes batshit crazy and acts like the world is ending.

Wait, isn't that everyday?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone's been watching the History Channel'd "Decoding the Past" too much...

It's another day.  Get over it already.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Not shit is going to happen, just like Jan. 1, 2000.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
IDK what happens, but if any ladies on December 20th don't want to die a virgin. . . .

Your e-mail will be flooded with fat/ugly chicks wanting to get laid
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, isn't that everyday?

Valid point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]
No big deal.

The big problem will be Tuesday, January 19, 2038 @ 03:14:07 GMT

Edit:  All your page 3 are belong to us!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You say that like its something bad...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Have we taken it seriously when any other stone-age primitives' calendar has ended.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You say that like its something bad...

LMAO!!! I would think you were weird if your avatar weren't Salad Fingers
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
It probably means that another cult will commit ceremonial mass suicide.  It doesn't mean much more than that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

No one expects...

THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!
the thread needed that
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, let's use an extinct civilization's calendar to tell us when the world will end.  Brilliant.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than building pyramids that look like the rest of the pyramids in the world, what other glittering gems of genius did they share?

Obviously, a calendar. They also were doing well with astronomy, mathematics, medicine, and a developed written language. They had a complex religion. They had large cities, a road network, art and armies. The Mayan culture/empire existed for thousands of years and only ended with the arrival of the Spanish. They were a civilized, developed people. They just had a different idea of what civilized meant and developed in a very different direction then western Europe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

LOL...the Mayans are hardly extinct.  In fact they are one of the largest Ethnic groups in Central America.  Their original CULTURE has moved on but as a people, they are hardly extinct.

In fact, before the Conquistadors began their quest for domination Central America, large portions of the Maya that WERE living were living in a culture that had simply "taken" over ( and in poor fashion ) the temples and living quarters of much superior, prior Mayan groups.  Their culture was already on the way out.  The Spanish simply sped it up....REALLY REALLY QUICKLY.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Great point
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously, a calendar. They also were doing well with astronomy, mathematics, medicine, and a developed written language. They had a complex religion. They had large cities, a road network, art and armies. The Mayan culture/empire existed for thousands of years and only ended with the arrival of the Spanish. They were a civilized, developed people. They just had a different idea of what civilized meant and developed in a very different direction then western Europe.

I agree, they were a pretty smart race,
Where did they get this knowledge, it seems like there was a couple civilizations on earth, that were getting outside education.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top