Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 6:36:44 PM EDT
I keep finding myself hating college. And telling myself this is'nt the life for me. I find myself day dreaming about the things I would be doing in the military and all the benefitsand experience I would get doing something I potentially enjoy.
And I know I'll hate being pushed around and doing the bull shit as it is present in my face. But It's one of those things I would look back on happy that I had accomplished it. My parents are not supportive of me joining the military. But For the past 2-3 years I keep finding myself coming back to the conclusion that I am meant to be in the military.

I was considering signing up for the Marine Corp. I love weapons and tactics and find myself thinking about guns and battle scenarios more so then the average dude thinks about sex (don't get me wrong I love me some big titty girly action ). My best friend has been in the marines for about 2 years now. And everytime I talk to him I find myself being jealous of all the intense training he is being put through and how good of shape I could be in if I was in the marines. I'm in decent shape. But I could be in better shape. My girl friend (who I'm considering getting engaged too) is in desperate need of health insurance. and being married in the military would help to support both of us. She grew up with her father being in the Air force and said she would'nt mind the military lifestyle because she watched her mom go through it and saw what it provided for thier family. It may not be the best paying job. But it is about the experience. Since I was a little kid I always imagined being one of the few and the proud. The more and more I think about I feel like I should be there... day in day out training and training for combat. I know no one wants to be there when the combat is going on. But for some it's just a calling... and I have had the calling for a while now.
I just don't know what I should do. It's like once i sign up... I'm in for good... and at that point there is no going back... I basically do what I'm told and accomplish my goals and I will earn the expereince pay and benefits to help me out and support my potential Wife and any kids we may have in the future. Plus I'd get lots of hands on training with guns. and guns are my life, so what better way then to let the government pay to train me with weaponry. But this is a serious decision that will decide a huge factor in the rest of my life. I just feel I would be happy in the longrun with who I am as a defined person. To be something else in any other proffession... your just that person... your the carpenter... or the electrician... or the docter... too me it's like "How does this really define who I am" and to be able to say I'm a marine would put my chin up high and make me feel proud of who I am to be part of the worlds most elite fighting force.... it's just calling me...

There is alot more to it. and alot more things I put into consideration when thinking about joining the Marines. I'm just not sure what I should do. I could start by talking to a recruiter but we all know what they are all about.

I figured I could get some input from the Hive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How long have you left in college to get your degree ??

No offense, but Marines get a capital "M".
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Well In another year I can have my Engineers A.A. (I kinda slacked off coming outta HS and got an appt. and partied and fucked around) then my father convinced me to move back home and he'd help with schooling... although my school gets paid for... and it's not about money... it's just not me... I hate reading about pointless shit and writing gay ass papers... it's not me...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I keep finding myself hating college. And telling myself this is'nt the life for me. I find myself day dreaming about the things I would be doing in the military and all the benefitsand experience I would get doing something I potentially enjoy.

The reality is never as good as the dream. Don't have high expectations about what you will get from your service. Go in to it ready to give of yourself and you will get much more in return. You just may not see the returns as soon as you are hoping.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reality is never as good as the dream. Don't have high expectations about what you will get from your service. Go in to it ready to give of yourself and you will get much more in return. You just may not see the returns as soon as you are hoping.

I know... I'd be going mostly for myself... it's just the fact my Girl supports me... I'd go with the mindset of getting nothing but the experience I receive through giving it my all... the benefits are just there as a means of support to my family. 90% of joining would be all about me... as a definition of who I am.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if you do it, welcome to the Corps, Brother.

However, if your girlfriend thinks being a Marine wife is anything like being an Air Force wife, she is in for a rude awakening.  

Not trying to start a fight with my friends in the Force, but for your average zoomie (that is, Air Force member) the AF is closer to a civie job than it is to the Corps, even when the Marines aren't fighting a war.

Of course, if you are just signing up for one hitch, she can probably put up with it.  Just make sure she knows what she's getting into.

Good luck, and Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a former Marine.

Maybe you might want to consider the Marine Corps reserve. If after Boot and your MOS producing school you still want it bad it won't be hard to get an active duty billet. I encourage you to think very hard before getting married and joining a war time military. Many women are unwilling to handle the stress and hardship of a deployment.

As said already the military is what you make it. Hell there was a guy in my platoon that played on the "Marine Corps Softball team" for a number of years before coming back to the FMF. My 1st roommate in Okinawa went to go to "fire watch in a forgein land" aka Embassy Guard and met a awesome wife from South Africa. Presently is now works in security for the department of energy.

The way I looked at it was I am going to do 4 years. I will not get married, have kids or get into debt. That way when it is time to reenlist I will only reenlist because I want to, not because I have mouthes to feed.

What MOS are you considering?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know... I'd be going mostly for myself... it's just the fact my Girl supports me... I'd go with the mindset of getting nothing but the experience I receive through giving it my all... the benefits are just there as a means of support to my family. 90% of joining would be all about me... as a definition of who I am.

That's the right attitude. The Marine Corps can't make you a better man. It can only show you how to find the better man inside of you. The real work is up to you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My girl friend (who I'm considering getting engaged too) is in desperate need of health insurance. and being married in the military would help to support both of us.

I would strongly recommend against getting married anytime during your first enlistment in the Marines.  Also, if the reason above is one of your top reasons for joining the Marines, then you might want to consider other options.

JDC
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No offense, but Marines get a capital "M".

Good question.

If you have just started college, you might also consider ROTC or something. Being commisioned a 2LT afterward and getting to command a platoon would seem like a better bet than being a private. Hehe.

It also sounds like you may have an interest in making a career of the military? If so, I think I'd definately look toward becoming an officer. The pay is better (well, it is once you move up the ladder a bit, senior NCO's make more than LT's, or at least they use to). But the pension is where it's all at. Imagine if you end up retiring 20 or 25 years from now at the rank of LTC or COL. Man, you'd be set as far as pension. And healthcare would no longer be a worry.

It sounds like you already know what you want to do. So I won't offer any suggestions as to whether or not you should join up. That's up to you. But it sounds like that is what you really want to do in life and that the current path you are on is not only dull, but an obstacle to your actual dreams.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here. So listen to these guys and think things through carefully. Make sure you put yourself in the absolute best position and situation if you decide to join. That way, if you do n't wanna go career and leave after your obligation is up, you'll have the skills and preparation you need to land a good civilian job.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I enlisted just after I graduated high school in 1974. I am sure you have seen the great movie...Full Metal Jacket,I can attest to the boot camp life depicted in that movie,at the time I was in that was exactly what it was like. I have heard that it is way different now.

The pride.   I am almost 52 years old,and I can still proudly carry the name Marine. There is nothing like it.
I am very glad that I joined. There were times that I cussed myself for ever thinking about joining,there were hard times,but there were also good memories.

I have often wished that I had stayed in until retirement age but I didn't.There are some times,even now that I wish I could re-join,but I am too old,but I don't feel old.

I have completed a couple semisters at a community college shortly after I was honorably discharged. At times I wish I could have finished and got a degree.

I am not exactly sure why I am replying,I have no real advise for you, but if you do join,you will not regret it,it will be some of the best years of your life,and you will have EARNED that title...United States Marine!

I wish you all the luck in your decision.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to sort out some things.  Dont put the cart before the horse.  The health plan is great but you will hate yourself if you let that sway your decision because your girl is without..  Any service is a huge sacrifice.  And the rewards come slowly.   I would get my ass wired and try for a commission after you get a BS or BA.  If that isnt your cup of tea then figure out your relationship quandry before signing up.  Life in the service is unforgiving and bad moves at home will make your time in that much more strenuous.  Expect to be deployed and that gets righback to the previous point about relationships.   The military is not all guts and glory.  We get the same amount of bullshit and dumb shit to deal with as anyone else, maybe even moreso..  If you go running off to the USMC with visions of guns and glory, free healthcare and a sweet new bride you will probably find yourself highly disappointed.  

My advice, and this might sting, is to tell the girl to stand on her own two feet, you go to war, and you will, you dont need that burdon on your back.  Next, unfuck your piss poor attitude about college and mundane work.  You seem to be getting a free ride at home, you are one lucky SOB and I'd take that as far as it would go.  You are living at 999 East Street and think it is too much to handle  You wont get any freebies in the service.  In fact, you might find the sacrifice more than the return.  Good luck.

ETA,

Just read the part where you dont like the rules about writing papers, and all that other stuff you think is pointless.  You seem immature.  There are reasons for that stuff and part of your education is understanding why they impose that boring and stupid shit upon you.  And another part is to show that you can use that gray matter in your skull within the constraints given and still find a workable solution.  
Your gonna have a hard time with an attitude like that..  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My girl friend (who I'm considering getting engaged too) is in desperate need of health insurance. and being married in the military would help to support both of us.

I would strongly recommend against getting married anytime during your first enlistment in the Marines.  Also, if the reason above is one of your top reasons for joining the Marines, then you might want to consider other options.

JDC

My 3 Main reasons for going would be.

1. To make the most out of who I am... and what I want to be (a Marine)

2. To prove to myself that I can deal with the hardships and rough times that would be ahead of me after enlisting. To know I can do anything If I want it bad enough (I want the title of a U.S. Marine)

3. Im passionate about armed combat and weapons/tactics... and find the training that would entail to be right up my ally and it jsut feels like my calling and where I am supposed to be.

I know at times I will be hating where I am... but in the long run I Know I won't regret it if I join... and career military would seem right for me... put in 20 years... Don't get me wrong I got alot of thinking to do... and I earliest I could join would be 6/1/08 so I got some time to really think about it before I hop on that ticket...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You need to sort out some things.  Dont put the cart before the horse.  The health plan is great but you will hate yourself if you let that sway your decision because your girl is without..  Any service is a huge sacrifice.  And the rewards come slowly.   I would get my ass wired and try for a commission after you get a BS or BA.  If that isnt your cup of tea then figure out your relationship quandry before signing up.  Life in the service is unforgiving and bad moves at home will make your time in that much more strenuous.  Expect to be deployed and that gets righback to the previous point about relationships.   The military is not all guts and glory.  We get the same amount of bullshit and dumb shit to deal with as anyone else, maybe even moreso..  If you go running off to the USMC with visions of guns and glory, free healthcare and a sweet new bride you will probably find yourself highly disappointed.  

My advice, and this might sting, is to tell the girl to stand on her own two feet, you go to war, and you will, you dont need that burdon on your back.  Next, unfuck your piss poor attitude about college and mundane work.  You seem to be getting a free ride at home, you are one lucky SOB and I'd take that as far as it would go.  You are living at 999 East Street and think it is too much to handle  You wont get any freebies in the service.  In fact, you might find the sacrifice more than the return.  Good luck.

I do have it on easy street... I know this... and I actually need the healthcare more then her... It's not about what is easy... it is about what I think is right for me... I do appreciate your input... I just don't want the 9-5 desk job being joe blow drinking my coffee and coming home to dinner just to start it over again... I wanna get out there... I'm willing to make the sacrifice... even if it means telling my girl that I gotta leave her... and come to think of it... simply because I wouldn't want to deal with the relationship from a distance... I'd probably break it off... although we have been living distanced for almsot 3 years now... and we adjust to it.... I just could see being over seas different (obviously)... Like I said I got alot to think about... and I appreciate all the input you guys are giving me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's not tough...I just don't like my face being in books about shit I don't like

"Shit you don't like"
Welcome to life.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
IM and email sent
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not tough...I just don't like my face being in books about shit I don't like

"Shit you don't like"
Welcome to life.

LOL you don't get it. Yes none of us don't like work and all kinds of BS. I'm just saying college and the career I will get from my degree (eventually a bachelors degre in electrical engineering) is just not what I want out of life.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm working on getting my BS and getting a commission.  I thought long and hard about it though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I figured I could get some input from the Hive.

Finish college first.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been considering joining the service for some time now as well, except for I'm a little farther along in life than you are. At the age of 26 with an accounting degree and just shy of finishing the CPA exam, my work leaves me with little sense of accomplishment. Wish I would have pulled my head out of my ass sooner.

Anyway, my advice may not mean much since I'm just an average guy.  However, it seems as if you really need sit down and think things out.  You stated "And I know I'll hate being pushed around and doing the bull shit as it is present in my face."  You do realize that you described life in general? Not everything in life is glorious and/or fun.  

If I was in your shoes and joining, I would join ROTC and finish college.  If you are not serious about finishing college (which is not that hard in my opinion and I'm not the brightest crayon in the box), how dedicated will you be?  I'm sure the many Marines on this board will tell you that becoming on of the few and proud will push you to the brink and probably then some.  I applaud your desire to serve this great nation; however, I think you just need to think it through in order to make a wise decision.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that you sound wishy-washy and your reasons for wanting to enlist are suspect.

You won't get any sympathy from former Marines by whining about how much you don't like the free ride you're getting now and how much you dislike school.

Here's what I'm hearing from you: I don't like learning about electrical engineering. Although I'm halfway through an associates program and my parents are still supporting me, reading and writing isn't exciting. EE is bullshit and gay. My girlfriend needs insurance and if I'm in the Marines and marry her, then she'll have insurance. I lay awake at night thinking about the glory of combat and all the cool weapons Marines get to fondle. So I'm thinking about maybe talking to a recruiter eight months from now.

Others may disagree, but I think you've got some growing up to do. Either grow up now, or get off your keyboard and go meet with a recruiter. In about twelve weeks, you'll be all grown up.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I earned the title United States Marine and it was very difficult. I will not go into detail about it here, but suffice it to say that I had a much more difficult transition than others in my platoon. But, I made it and that title is mine forever. I made it for one reason. I hard a burning desire to be a MARINE.

If you bail on your education, then you are a freakin' retard. If you cannot handle a couple of years skating along on greasy easy then you are NOT packin' the gear to succeed in my beloved Corps. I am not telling you this not to be insulting or discouraging. I am telling you this out of compassion and mercy. It is plainly obvious from your posts that you are not even close to being ready to take up the challenge that is the Marine Corps. You could be someday, but it ain't today. Stay where you are. Complete the mission at hand. Once you have accomplished your current mission, then take another look at earning the title.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LOL you don't get it. Yes none of us don't like work and all kinds of BS. I'm just saying college and the career I will get from my degree (eventually a bachelors degre in electrical engineering) is just not what I want out of life.

Take my diatribe as an effort to help. It's long-winded as usual, but hopefully there's something there for you.

The thing with college is that it's often much more difficult to complete a degree later in life when you have more responsibilities. A degree opens doors that are otherwise closed, but it also doesn't force you to walk through them. It can prepare you for life mentally (if you approach it properly) and can help create a backup plan. What if future circumstances prevent you from staying in the Marines at, say, 30? (What if you find you don't like active duty, either? Is there no bureaucracy or shit work as junior enlisted in the service?) What do you do with your life then?

I'm not saying that having a BA/BS magically leads to a life of leisure and lollipops, or is a choice for everyone, but it does create options. Options are good. Creating these options in the future are usually ... usually ... a good investment -- especially if you have financial assistance -- and don't prevent you from serving when you get out. You have an opportunity here, and you should be very careful in how you think through abandoning it.

Don't get me wrong, I know many people who have enjoyed taking the path you are contemplating. I believe that the military can prepare and mold a person in outstanding ways. Marines in particular have been my favorite people to work with. (I'm a software / web engineer now, but I worked with many Marines and AF as an IT guy. Note: All had completed a bachelor's degree.) I often regret not accepting LTC Davis's invitation to join up with ROTC partway through college. (Point: what I'm saying here cuts both ways -- now in my 30's, I regret getting caught up in civilian life and finding I'd gotten a little older and broken, probably too late to go in with a commission, but that's another thread.)

If you hate EE, how about another major? If you have another year before your AA, have you mostly been taking GE classes? GE's are usually uninteresting at best, but once you've gotten them behind you, you can focus on the stuff you're really into. See if you can find another field before you give it up.

Example: I was a political science major, and chose to study quite a bit of military history. I disliked history in high school, but loved it in college. I took several ROTC courses, including MS18: "Modern Guerrilla Warfare." I loved it, and imagine you would, too. I mean, come on ... I wrote a paper on Spetznaz tactics in Afghanistan and had it graded and commented on by a major with Ranger, SF and Delta on his resume. If you're going to write a dozen or so pages on something, that's a pretty kickass topic! I took courses on international relations from a former CIA analyst with strange and unspoken extracurricular activities. Good times.  There's opportunities out there, man, you just have to find them.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Marines get an 's' on the end of Corps
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

However, if your girlfriend thinks being a Marine wife is anything like being an Air Force wife, she is in for a rude awakening.  

I got toasted six ways from hell for saying something similar in the Team Forum when some female said she was in the Army when a poster asked about the Marines for his daughter............................    
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I earned the title United States Marine and it was very difficult. I will not go into detail about it here, but suffice it to say that I had a much more difficult transition than others in my platoon. But, I made it and that title is mine forever. I made it for one reason. I hard a burning desire to be a MARINE.

If you bail on your education, then you are a freakin' retard. If you cannot handle a couple of years skating along on greasy easy then you are NOT packin' the gear to succeed in my beloved Corps. I am not telling you this not to be insulting or discouraging. I am telling you this out of compassion and mercy. It is plainly obvious from your posts that you are not even close to being ready to take up the challenge that is the Marine Corps. You could be someday, but it ain't today. Stay where you are. Complete the mission at hand. Once you have accomplished your current mission, then take another look at earning the title.

Your absolutely wrong... I makes A's and B's... I'm very capable... I just don't like the schooling and the bull shit career I'll get with my degree... desk job life is'nt for me... You can't assume you know my character because of a few things I said...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take my diatribe as an effort to help. It's long-winded as usual, but hopefully there's something there for you.

The thing with college is that it's often much more difficult to complete a degree later in life when you have more responsibilities. A degree opens doors that are otherwise closed, but it also doesn't force you to walk through them. It can prepare you for life mentally (if you approach it properly) and can help create a backup plan. What if future circumstances prevent you from staying in the Marines at, say, 30? (What if you find you don't like active duty, either? Is there no bureaucracy or shit work as junior enlisted in the service?) What do you do with your life then?

I'm not saying that having a BA/BS magically leads to a life of leisure and lollipops, or is a choice for everyone, but it does create options. Options are good. Creating these options in the future are usually ... usually ... a good investment -- especially if you have financial assistance -- and don't prevent you from serving when you get out. You have an opportunity here, and you should be very careful in how you think through abandoning it.

Don't get me wrong, I know many people who have enjoyed taking the path you are contemplating. I believe that the military can prepare and mold a person in outstanding ways. Marines in particular have been my favorite people to work with. (I'm a software / web engineer now, but I worked with many Marines and AF as an IT guy. Note: All had completed a bachelor's degree.) I often regret not accepting LTC Davis's invitation to join up with ROTC partway through college. (Point: what I'm saying here cuts both ways -- now in my 30's, I regret getting caught up in civilian life and finding I'd gotten a little older and broken, probably too late to go in with a commission, but that's another thread.)

If you hate EE, how about another major? If you have another year before your AA, have you mostly been taking GE classes? GE's are usually uninteresting at best, but once you've gotten them behind you, you can focus on the stuff you're really into. See if you can find another field before you give it up.

Example: I was a political science major, and chose to study quite a bit of military history. I disliked history in high school, but loved it in college. I took several ROTC courses, including MS18: "Modern Guerrilla Warfare." I loved it, and imagine you would, too. I mean, come on ... I wrote a paper on Spetznaz tactics in Afghanistan and had it graded and commented on by a major with Ranger, SF and Delta on his resume. If you're going to write a dozen or so pages on something, that's a pretty kickass topic! I took courses on international relations from a former CIA analyst with strange and unspoken extracurricular activities. Good times.  There's opportunities out there, man, you just have to find them.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be.

Thank you.... your post was very imformative and put some good points on the table for me to think about... I'll take alot of that into consideration.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#27]
1st things first....We are not a corporation we are a Corps.  A Corps of Warriors ready to lay down our lives for fellow Marines and Countrymen!

Semper Fi!

Carry on!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Just remember when you are on active duty in the Corp,  Uncle Sam owns you 24/7.  He will tell you what to do, when to do it, how to do it.  If you don't like it, suck it up Marine.  Your life as you know it will completely change.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just remember when you are on active duty in the Corp,  Uncle Sam owns you 24/7.  He will tell you what to do, when to do it, how to do it.  If you don't like it, suck it up Marine.  Your life as you know it will completely change.  

Good luck.

Thanks for stating the obvious...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Youv'e been given some good advice in this thread. I don't need to add to it. I'll just say whatever your decision, Good Luck! & Semper Fi!
I hope you can earn the title "Marine." It is a very worthwhile endeavor! It won't be easy but anything worth having isn't.
Hessian-1

Appreciate the words of wisdom.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I was in the same situation 1986. I was in college, i felt like a fish out of water. I was enrolled in an ROTC class and we were learning to rappell. It seemed very difficult and we were going off the top of a 7 story building. This guy with a high&tight haircut just jumps off the side off the bldg and doesn't slow down until the very bottom of the rappell. i asked him where he learned to do that and he said "The Marines". i joined the next day. i loved it and as time passes i have forgotten the tough stuff and only remember the friends and experiences that that made me a better man.
I will graduate from college Summa Cum Laude in about a year.
I am proud of my service to my country and the experience was something that could not be matched in civilian society.
Remember just because you join doesn't mean you will succeed. Start running NOW and good luck to you if you decide to join.
Semper Fidelis!

Jim
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your absolutely wrong... I makes A's and B's... I'm very capable... I just don't like the schooling and the bull shit career I'll get with my degree... desk job life is'nt for me... You can't assume you know my character because of a few things I said...

Bet you didn't make "A's & B's" in English classes..........................        
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If you bail on your education, then you are a freakin' retard.  

College isn't for everybody and college isn't the be all end all of education. I know a bunch of people who left college, went into the service and then came back to college.

Anyway, I'd happily trade those papers I've got for a shot at going through Parris Island (I'm 4F).
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#34]
My Advice

1. Go to school and at least get your AA. If you dont like EE change. Study History or something you enjoy. You say your only half way to an AA so you have what two semesters under your belt? Whats that maybe 2 or 3 EE classes you first year is mostly general classes anyways

2. If you join the service do it while your single. You will have enough shit on your mind without having to worry about your wife back home

3. Dont get married to anyone so they can have Health Insurance. Your a divorce waiting to happen.

4. Join the reserves.

5. Dont marry anybody till your at least 30
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#35]
+! oooh boy...couldn't have said ir better!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

A recruiter sold my grandmother into sexual bondage.

Did she reenlist???????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top