Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 4:15:24 PM EDT
happens tomorrow at 2pm.

My wife scheduled it over a month ago.  I have felt a little pit in 2 teeth for about a year now.

Not looking forward to it. I have no idea how much this is going to end up costing, but I know it's my own fault for putting it off for so long.  Too busy, didn't want to spend the $$, etc, etc.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Why spend a little every now and then when you can spend a shitload when you least expect it

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I honestly don't know why people neglect going to the dentist.

Not only is Teeth neglect bad for your teeth/mouth...also is said to increase the risk of heart disease (stemming from gum disease).

Well, after 10 years...better late than never.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 Get it fixed now, nothing like tooth pain. It can damn sure ruin your day.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn...everyone I know (myself included) go every six months.  I thought this was the norm.  When I walk out from an appointment I already know when I will be back.

Good luck on your appointment.  Learn something from this and keep going.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Aren't you a doc?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
You may have some major work to be done.  It will cost money, but the good thing is dentistry and pain blockers have improved a great degree, and I find most trips even for major work involve only the prick of the initial needle, then they can go medieval on my teeth for an hour with no pain.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Been longer than 10 for me.

FUCK a bunch of dentists.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tell us how the dentures are
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]

10 years...no idea how much this is going to end up costing

Speaking from experience of seeing thousands of dentist bills, the doctor will try to make-up for what you saved in one shot.  They don't like it when people aren't paying what they feel they're owed.z
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Astro -- Good luck.  Here's a little guy to give you nightmares.

IBMGTP
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about I tell you about being strapped to a chair, my jaw pried open and held that way with a device, a needle jabbed into my palate, and my teeth being drilled on before the anathestic took effect instead.

My teeth are fine BTW.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I just had one pulled today, one of the back teeth. Talk about pain...

If you can go to the dentist at least once a year if not more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Update!

Well, I lucked out.  No problems whatsoever.

I'll get smarter though, and go back in April for routine maintanance.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang, you are lucky.  I would have expected a root canal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't been to a dentist since I was in college, probably 7-8 years ago.  Up to that point I had no cavities.  So far I don't think I have any, but I'll be going to the dentist soon.  I think I feel a wisdom tooth trying to poke through in the back...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Astro -- Good luck.  Here's a little guy to give you nightmares.

i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/MarthaStewart67/Dusty_Cstooth.jpg

IBMGTP

I'll be that guy. What the hell is that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#18]
The great thing about teeth is that if you leave them alone they will go away!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I didnt go from the time I got out of high school until the time I got a job after college and had health benefits. 9 cavities is what had incurred during that time period. Havent had a cavity since and been going every 4 months. Love those health benefits
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I honestly don't know why people neglect going to the dentist.

Not only is Teeth neglect bad for your teeth/mouth...also is said to increase the risk of heart disease (stemming from gum disease).

Well, after 10 years...better late than never.

My wife has the strongest teeth you can imagine.  She has NEVER had a cavity in her life (not even in childhood teeth).  She can forget to brush her teeth for days, and it makes no difference.  She has never flossed in her life.

Ironically, she LOVES going to the dentist, because they invariably tell her how wondeful her teeth are.  She also enjoys teeth cleanings.

Because she's been really busy at work, I think it's probably been three or four years since she's been to a dentist.  But it really doesn't matter with teeth like hers.  I'm extremely jealous - I've got pretty weak teeth, and practically start getting a cavity if I miss brushing once - and got a lot of cavities while I was in the army
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]

I went from age 17 to age 34 without going to a dentist once. The reason was that I had bad experiences with sadistic dentists as a kid and once I had any say in the matter, I wouldn't go.

A pal of mine had the same experience. Finally he was in so much pain that he had to go see someone. He lost all his teeth at the age of 30 something. The good news is that the dentures are working out ok for him.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I always eat a bag of Oreos in the waiting room.

Sometimes they have to cancel the rest of the appointments for the day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I too had a sick sadistic bastard for a dentist when I was a kid.

If I ever run into him I'll knock out all that fucker's teeth.

ETA: I don't mind going to my dentist now, he's really cool and he's got some hot chicky snacks that let you drool on them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#24]
How much tartar did they scrape off after 10 years! I go every 6 months.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#25]
It wasn't bad at all.  The cleaning/polishing part took about 30 minutes.  2 spots needed ultrasound to break it up, but otherwise the regular scraping tool thingy did fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm 28, never been to the dentist.
Teeth are straight, clean, and cavity free.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh man, I did that about four months ago.

They found eight cavities and a tooth that needs an "overlay" (something short of a full crown).  I've had six fillings so far, and I have a temp overlay right now.  I go back next week for two more fillings and the real overlay.  Oh, and I needed "root scaling", which is an extreme tooth cleaning... they have to Novocaine you up because they don't gently clean just below the gum line... they get waaaay down there.  I have several "pockets" where the crap on my teeth activated my immune system and eroded away the bone.  I'm supposed to get a Water Pik to keep those pockets empty.

Oh, and they want to take out my wisdom teeth, too.

Never, ever go for years between dental visits!  Get your teeth cleaned every 4-6 months!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I wish it had only been 10 years...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
At 8:45am tomorrow, I will be getting my last two wisdom teeth ripped out of my head. I consider it a survival prep.

WTF
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]
About a year ago I went to the dentist after a nine year hiatus.

My mouth was in perfect health. The dentist was so surpised by how healthy my mouth was with no professional maintenance that he suggested that I only to go to the dentist once a year instead of the standard 6 months.

I will go back in another year or two. Three years sounds about right.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about I tell you about being strapped to a chair, my jaw pried open and held that way with a device, a needle jabbed into my palate, and my teeth being drilled on before the anathestic took effect instead.

My teeth are fine BTW.

Is it safe?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#32]
don't neglect your teeth... bad dental care can lead to bad overall health... besides onece you lose them you can't get them back... hope its not too expensive or painful.

best wishes
j0hn
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell us how the dentures rotted crooked stumps formerly known as your teeth are

Corrected to reflect reality. Your gums alone must be in godawful shape.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I love the people that say "I haven't ever been to the dentist and have never had a cavity"

Some other helpful words" I have never had my blood pressure checked and I feel fine"
" I've never had my cholesterol checked and have never had a problem"

"This sore that never heals, nope doesn't hurt a bit"

Medical and dental care, who needs it
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE,  in a Gary Oldman sort of way, owes the dentist chair a certain amount of time.

You can do your chair time in small increments, spread out over time, or you can neglect everything and do it all at once.

You do not want to do it all at once. It’s painful and expensive.

Visit your dentist, at least twice a year.

Voice of experience here. Listen up.

You are not immortal, and neither are your teeth.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top