Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 2:56:25 PM EDT
This review is available with maps in table form here: Carry Review

Ranking of States from the perspective of maximum Concealed Carry Permit Recognition (Updated as of 10-7-07) (Data from http://handgunlaw.us)
Ranking system:
Number of States that recognize your permit at all = primary consideration
Number of States that recognize your non-resident permit (if one is issued): secondary consideration (tie breaker)
One half additional point awarded to States that do not require a permit to carry concealed weapons

The info is laid out as follows:
Name
Ranking (1=most recognition; 2=next most; etc.)
Number of States that recognize their resident permits
Number of States that recognize their non-resident permits

Gold Star 30+ States

Michigan

Tennessee

Alaska
2.5 (No permit required in AK)
NA

Missouri
NA

North Carolina
NA

Oklahoma
NA

Utah

Florida

Louisiana
NA

Kentucky
NA

Texas

Silver Star 20+ States

Colorado
NA

Arizona

Wyoming
NA

Arkansas
NA

Montana
NA

South Dakota
NA

Ohio
NA

Idaho

North Dakota

Pennsylvania

Mississippi
NA

Indiana

Alabama
NA

Georgia
NA

South Carolina

Virginia

New Hampshire

Kansas
NA

New Mexico
NA

Delaware
NA

West Virginia
NA

Bronze Star 10+ States

Washington

Minnesota

Nevada
16 (This should improve shortly, now that they extended recognition to several more States recently)

Nebraska
NA

New Jersey

Iowa

New York

Connecticut

Maryland

Massachusetts

Hawaii
NA

California
NA

Oregon

Rhode Island

Maine

Somewhat Honorable Mention <10 States

Washington, DC
NA

Vermont
NA (But no permit required in VT, so we give them an honorary .5 point, and applaud them for that)
NA

States that just flat FAIL

Wisconsin
NA
NA

Illinois
NA
NA
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Your VA map is wrong.  WV does honor the VA permit.  Looks like CO does not honor the VA permit.

Also, the VA permit is good in:

AR, TX, NM per the VCDL
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your VA map is wrong.  WV does honor the VA permit.  Looks like CO does not honor the VA permit.

AR, TX, NM per the VCDL

If you could, would you send the links/pertinent info to the webmasters of handgunlaw [admins-at-handgunlaw.us] so that they can update their maps?  That is how they stay current, and (since packing.org is down) they are the biggest/best source of info that I know of.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
And MD is a might issue if you're LEO, or can show just cause.  For the regular Joe, fergettaboutit.  Ain't gonna happen.  Sure, you can carry other places, but you have to get it first.
WV has come a long way this year.   LONG way!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AR, TX, NM per the VCDL

If you could, would you send the links/pertinent info to the webmasters of handgunlaw [admins-at-handgunlaw.us] so that they can update their maps?  That is how they stay current, and (since packing.org is down) they are the biggest/best source of info that I know of.

Done.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
We gotta catch up
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You also need to add a category

'Recognizes other state's permits'
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You also need to add a category

'Recognizes other state's permits'

Too much work, I already had to shirk more important duties to accomplish this.  Good idea, though!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty surprising that MI is first in any type of nationwide pro-gun thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
We just had a bill signed that I believe gives us full reciprocity with 26 states.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
TN's in good shape.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's pretty surprising that MI is first in any type of nationwide pro-gun thing.

Things may suck here job wise but the one thing our Canadian Governess does well is ineptitude, and she has allowed all kinds of things to happen on her watch, thank God.

CCW, Castle doctrine, Class III...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It is strange, because Michigan is "Johnny Come Lately" to this game.

But good on Michigan for catching up and taking the lead (in this statistic), that is.

I'm sure other stats/factors would not view Michigan as highly.
1.  # of overall permits.
2.  Permits per capita.
3.  Permit issuance times and delays.

Not to mention Michigan's problem with Class III items (friggin AG).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But good on Michigan for catching up and taking the lead (in this statistic), that is.

2.  Permits per capita.

Don't hate, yo...

BTW the AG is the guy that's pro-CIII... Cox is the best thing to happen to our 2A rights in a long time...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2.  Permits per capita.

Don't hate, yo...

BTW the AG is the guy that's pro-CIII... Cox is the best thing to happen to our 2A rights in a long time...

Hey, I'm a Michigan boy and began working for a CCW when I returned from active duty in 1992.  They immediately made me register my pistols and I needed a pre-signed card to buy any more.  

I moved to Indiana for work in 1994 (the rest of MI will experience that, shortly) and now live in a state that FAR outshines Michigan's statistical dominance in this one area.

I've had a CCW since 1994 and we get ALL the good toys.

Come visit, Playa.  

And for AG, I'm thinking all the way back to that douchebag Frank Kelly and his "decrees".
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
How about garrison commanders that say there soldiers can't ccw in a state where everyone and there mom can carry...and does.  God I love the army.  I can carry a gun 24/7 now but in 37 days I can't carry one at all.  But I can drink me some beer so that almost works out seeing I wouldn't be carrying while drinking anyway
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How about garrison commanders that say there soldiers can't ccw in a state where everyone and there mom can carry...and does.  God I love the army.  I can carry a gun 24/7 now but in 37 days I can't carry one at all.  But I can drink me some beer so that almost works out seeing I wouldn't be carrying while drinking anyway

Have you written your senator and representative about that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#17]
well yessir I have as well as someone from the NRA whom said it was an issue they had heard alot about as well as on other posts.  I also talked to my home town reps from Iowa to which I had a minor connection.  No help there thus far.  Kinda been busy the last few months though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Virginia gets hung up because our permit is a "Permit To Carry A Concealed Handgun" and other states call theirs a permit to carry a concealed "weapon".

That's stopped or slowed reciprocity agreements.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#19]
If we could get rid of Doyle we'd have CCW.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow! I'm surprised NC beat TX and FL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I was pleasantly surprised to see that OK was 4th, that's good stuff....now if only I could find a place to go shoot that isn't infested with crazy people muzzle sweeping everyone
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#22]
what the hell is wrong w/ SC?  Their reciprocity w/ other states sucks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#23]
As far as New Germany Jersey goes, all I can say is
WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSE SHIT

Ordinary law abiding citizens subjects of the Garden State cannot get carry permits.  You must have both your local Chief LEO and a Superior Court Judge in your home county sign off after providing them just cause for issuance.  Yes, work-only restricted permits are issued for armored car employees, but with restrictions of on-duty carry only. But for the ordinary law abiding merchant who needs to carry large amounts of cash or jewelry, they are told to hire a guard service. No carry permits for the average Joe.  Want to be a gangbanger, no problem.  They're all carrying.  They could give a shit about breaking the law.  They've been breaking laws all their lives. No big deal.

And NJ doesn't recognize any other state's permits.  Not a single fucking one.

So who carries in Jersey?
Jersey cops and the bad guys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
what the hell is wrong w/ SC?  Their reciprocity w/ other states sucks!

Yeah, I live in Oklahoma but my parents live in SC
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ordinary law abiding citizens subjects of the Garden State cannot get carry permits.  You must have both your local Chief LEO and a Superior Court Judge in your home county sign off after providing them just cause for issuance.  Yes, work-only restricted permits are issued for armored car employees, but with restrictions of on-duty carry only. But for the ordinary law abiding merchant who needs to carry large amounts of cash or jewelry, they are told to hire a guard service. No carry permits for the average Joe.  Want to be a gangbanger, no problem.  They're all carrying.  They could give a shit about breaking the law.  They've been breaking laws all their lives. No big deal.

I have to agree, NJ Failed
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to agree, NJ Failed

Another example of statistics being misused.
Just because it's technically feasible, doesn't mean that it's a practical fact.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:
I was pleasantly surprised to see that OK was 4th, that's good stuff....now if only I could find a place to go shoot that isn't infested with crazy people muzzle sweeping everyone he
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]
We recognize everyone's permits.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah, but no one recognizes yours.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alaska does.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alaska does.

LOL!  You got me there.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Things may suck here job wise but the one thing our Canadian Governess does well is ineptitude, and she has allowed all kinds of things to happen on her watch, thank God.

Machine guns yes, supressors, SBRs and SBS no. Right?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If we could get rid of Doyle we'd have CCW.

What and leave us alone? What would be the fun in that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Alabama isn't a shall issue state?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I'd have to check... I know machine guns are GTG, and I *thought* SBRs/SBSs were too, and the only sticking point was suppressors but I could swear I even saw those being discussed in the hometown forum...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Holy shit!   There is finally SOMETHING MI that rates better than other states at.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I'd have to check... I know machine guns are GTG, and I *thought* SBRs/SBSs were too, and the only sticking point was suppressors but I could swear I even saw those being discussed in the hometown forum...

No SBRs yet. (That I know of). Good on the AG for the machine guns, but I am more interested in SBRs and suppressors.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:17:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What is ironic is that when Michigan passed their NRA sponsored shall issue CCW law back in 2000 GOA was opposed to it and it said it was the worst law ever.

What is also really interesting is that Missouri just passed their NRA sponsored CCW a couple years ago and they are all the way up to 4th on the list.  A couple years prior to that law passing the NRA was dragged through the coals for "selling out the CCW vote".

In both cases the law was sponsored/written by the NRA, in both cases the NRA was bashed repeatedly, but now we see the results of the NRA CCW laws, they are at the top of the list as far as reciprocity.  Maybe the NRA knows what they are doing.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top