Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2001 5:30:54 PM EDT
I just bought a rental house that has a almost new gas forced air heat system.  I need to put in central air.  Should I rip out the oil and just go with all gas?  I have some very bad feelings about the future price of oil for heating, and I don't want to run off any potential tenants with the oil heat.  Any thoughts?

PS - after I saw the pics posted by the guy who is shooting bugs with his .308, I didn't feel so bad about asking this non gun question that I need some serious advice on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe I can give you a good opinion here.  My wife and I have rented a number of apartments and houses in the time before we came here.  We have had gas heat, oil heat, hot water baseboard, and even jump up and down real fast heat sometimes.

Put aside the homeowners debate on the benefits of oil vs. gas, you are thinking in the context of tenants.  Oil heat is a huge pain in the tail.  We have decided that we will NEVER buy a home with oil heat EVER.  Oil prices fluctuate so wildly (at least here in the northeast (NJ)) that it was very hard to budget for.  And, since we were tenants and landlords usually don't give a rat's ass, we did not have a "contract" signed in the summer for lower prices.  The whole process of having to call for a 150 gallon delivery was just a big pain.

Gas is simple, hassle free, and there for your tenant without them having to work for it.  Also, no chance of a less than responsible tenant not ordering oil and your pipes freezing one beautiful January morning...

Just my opinion, hope it helps!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Call your gas utility company and see if they have any incentives for switching to all gas. Utility companies here in SD will offer special prices and or rates to switch over. As far as cost I think they all pretty much balance out over time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys must be using allot different oil then we do up here in AK. The majority of home here are oil heat(either baseboard of forced air). As a home owner the only maintence on a Oil burner is replace the filter and burner nozzle every year(about $5.00. Here we also have auto deliver, the fuel company dips your tank and fills it as need. I can't compare it to N.G because its not available were I live. Nut compared to a wood stove much easier. I hated would stove having to cut/split wood let it cure for a year, then burn it clean out the ashes ect...

Just my 2 cents

Clinth

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Our first home we bought had an oil furnace and never again will I own one! Gas is so much cleaner. Our new home has gas, I love it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends in part on what kind of gas.  Natural gas is only 10% or so more expensive thn oil.  Propane )I HATE that stuff!!) is about 30% more expensive to operate.

Both forms of gas are far more dangerous both from an explosion standpoint and MUCH worse from a potential CO problem.

While any furnace needs professional attention every year or two, an oil burner requires a mechanic with some skill.  If he does not own and use an electronic combustion analyzer find someone who does.  Just as the same is one who cannot do a CO sweep, particularly with gas.  You get the performance from a modern heating system ONLY when a SKILLED technician services it!

Alway buy the LOWEST eff. % system you can find!  The high eff stuff has much shorter life and considerable service difficulties.  First cost is almost never returned by fuel savings.  There are gallons of snake oil in this area!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
VERY good advice from different states/areas.  Especially like the comment to buy the lowest %eff. system.   The high Efficiency systems have all the extra tricks to "squeeze" the most energy out of the oil/NG/LP.   Extra means more moving parts and more to break down and also means a more skilled technician (takes longer to troubleshoot and cost more $$$).  It's also true you won't recover your initial cost from fuel savings over the life of the unit (for a high eff. unit).  I have been in HVAC for 22 years and if your house is not WELL insulated it doesn't matter how high the efficiency is.    R-30-----R40   is what you need in the attic (10-12"of insulation).    Insulation can be added for app. $.50/sq.ft.

Good Luck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top