Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 10:05:52 AM EDT
so I'm finally unpacking 4+ years of stuff in storage..  I found my Darts kit

metal tipped type.

all I see in the store now days is that plastic type.

is anyone still using bristle boards and REAL darts that put holes in people?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to start a whole "Beans/No Beans?" debate, but...

"Darts", IMHO, have steel tips.

Period.

(I was dumb-founded when I found out that steel-tips in bars are illegal in some places. )

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
steel tipped darts are illegal?  wth?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
steel tipped darts are illegal?  wth?

It's to protect the children at the bars.

I have plenty of steel tip darts and 2 very good horse hair boards,

Bring it on PETA!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
how about you night shift types... dartboards.. new or old?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Plastic tips are the reason I quit throwing darts in bars. Those stupid machines and the sound of the darts whacking into them...ugh.

Steel tips illegal? Where?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought this was a thread about a Dodge
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a steel dart fanatic for a long time.

I havn't been playin' much lately, pretty much lost interest after I lost one of my best friends back in May due to an unfortunate motorcycle accident. My buddy Bryan was a very competitive opponent on a dart board. I could hang with him most of the time, but he was a better player in the clutch. We probably played thousands of games together.

On rain days we would get to the bar early & play darts all afternoon, sometimes this would coincide with league night. Those cocksuckers would try to tell us we would have to leave the boards b/c it was league night. Fuck that, we would tell them that if they could beat us off our board then they could have it. There are 5 other boards they could play on.

They would cry to the barowner who would back us up 100%, he couldn't deny us access to the board especiallly since we had been there a hell of alot longer buyin' beer & pumpin' the jukebox full of money for hours. They never beat us off our board, not once.

The league players would always get kind of cocky & arrogant when they would find out we were'nt in the league, & would sometimes begrudgingly allow us to play in thier "league tounaments" when members were no shows, by the the time we were done moppin' up the boards, they would beg us to join the local dart league or ask why we had not already. We would refuse with, why the hell would we want to pay to play a bunch of arrogant primadonnas ???? We played for fun, just to hang out & drink beer.

Everytime I see the boards at my local bar, I damn near cry, thinking about Bryan throwin' rounds of nine like they were going out of style.

RIP bro' me & Louis miss ya' man!!!

ETA: plastic darts are for metrosexual fags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA: plastic darts are for metrosexual fags.

Based upon that alone, I'm keeping mine!!!

sorry for your loss..you should play in his honor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

On rain days we would get to the bar early & play darts all afternoon, sometimes this would coincide with league night. Those cocksuckers would try to tell us we would have to leave the boards b/c it was league night. Fuck that, we would tell them that if they could beat us off our board then they could have it. There are 5 other boards they could play on.

They would cry to the barowner who would back us up 100%, he couldn't deny us access to the board especiallly since we had been there a hell of alot longer buyin' beer & pumpin' the jukebox full of money for hours.

I guess things are different everywhere you go. The leagues I play in are sponsored by the bars where you play. The bars pay the league fees, provide food for the teams during matches, etc... If there are multiple boards in the bar, the board the bar team uses for league play is off-limits on league night. You will have to move to another board. If there is only one board in the bar, you will have to stop playing.

Of course, any good  bartender will keep an eye on the team's board on league night, and will politely inform anyone using it that they will have to vacate the board when it's time for the match.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Plastic tips are the reason I quit throwing darts in bars. Those stupid machines and the sound of the darts whacking into them...ugh.

I think he meant steel tipped lawn darts.

Bars don't use steel darts anymore because drunks + sharp steel pointy things = lawsuits = higher insurance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant steel tipped lawn darts.

Bars don't use steel darts anymore because drunks + sharp steel pointy things = lawsuits = higher insurance.

No, I meant regular darts. I ran into someone once, not sure where the guy was from, (friend of a friend of a friend type of thing), who told me that he quit playing league darts when steel tips were banned. I too thought it was a league ban or just one bar. No, I was told, it was a local ordinance. Bars weren't allowed to have steel tips anymore.

Perhaps the information I got was wrong... though in the nanny-state America that we live in, a steel-tip dart ban in public places wouldn't surprise me at all.

(Oh, and, for the record... I miss lawn darts. They were fun. )
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I suppose with all the new fangled plastic pos darts that no one keeps score anymore.. it's all done by computer?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Louisville, KY has a pretty healthy league.  I played the Spring league last year, but couldn't participate this Fall for various reasons.  Good beer-drinkin' hobby.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Plastic tip darts are for people who can't count.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been playing league darts (steel tip, of course) two nights a week for about 4 years now. Most of the players on my teams have been shooting 10 years or more.

Hell of a lot of fun.

No, not the most exciting post ever.

C'mon, this is the first dart thread I've come across on Arfcom. I want to keep it alive.

So, for all those folks who do shoot (darts, that is), what weight do you shoot? (I used to shoot 18's, now I shoot 21's.)

What's better? Heavy darts, or light?

What stance do you prefer?

Beans or no beans?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top