Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 3:40:20 PM EDT
Bought two guns here in California today, I think I did pretty darned well considering that old N-framed S&W revolvers are going to become RARE!

First off, I'm buying old guns because I like the classic blued N-frames.    The new stainless guns of S&W really kinda turn my stomach and they just aren't what I associate with the name "Smith&Wesson"

The impressive thing is that means here in California every single gun I want from S&W and the ones I just purchased absolutely have to be consignment or personal transfer guns because the way SB15 is worded, if it ain't on the approval list it can't be sold by a dealer to a occupant of the People's Republic of Kalifornia.    I've already seen people doing a bit of gouging on these types of S&W revolvers because they are aware that you can't find the things anymore, saw a M28 357 Mag sell for 430 dollars the other day and even though it was about 98+% condition it didn't have it's original box and it was just about 80 dollars more than I was willing to pay.

So here is what I managed to get into today

First gun that I decided I absolutely must have, a absolutely NEW IN BOX 125th anniversary M25-3 45LongColt with a 6 1/2 inch barrel that came with: a presentation case, a 125th anniversary collectable booklet, and what must be a 125th anniversary collectable coin, and the original anniversary documentation.    Price as quoted?  550 dollars, after taxes and fees it will be 610 dollars out the door when I go back to pick it up in 10 days.   This gun and all it's goodies was still packaged in it's original shipping box without ever being opened, it was like christmas sitting there watching the box get opened for the very first time and carefully pulling out all the little "gifts" for the first time.

Second gun, a 4 inch barreled M29-3 that is absolutely new in box.  This gun doesn't excite me quite as much but it's likely going to make a fine shooter and that is what my intended use is for.   Price out the door, 670 dollars but I'll be having to sign the paperwork in another 30 days from today since Ca. has a 1 handgun per month law.

Only thing that could have possibly made me any happier was if both guns were -2 types with pinned barrels and recessed chambers on the 44Magnum, but I ain't gonna whine or complain considering that both of the guns I bought today were in my opinion entirely reasonably priced especially considering the situation that exists in California that opens the door fo price gouging on these guns that are no longer produced and thanks to Ca. can't be brought into the state(not come from one dealer out of state to a dealer in state then be sold) since they aren't on the approval list.

Just thought I'd relay the story.   Also, I'd like to know a little bit more about the 125th Anniversary M25 that I bought if anyone could help me out, like what the actual value of it is as I'm pretty certain it's worth more than I paid.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAT!!! About the 27? No collection is complete without a 27!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I might go back and get one still, they had one there I'm kinda borderline on.

Thing is I want a 27-2 that still has the recessed cylinders that are a throw back to the way things used to be done.   The 27 that I liked the most was a -3 that didn't have the recessed cylinders and it was also another anniversary gun, 50 year anniversary of the first 27s, which is likely too nice for the invisioned use I'd be putting the gun through.   The 27 that I do get will by all means be a shooter, not a collector.    They had a few nickel ones but I don't want nickel, I might however get a stainless if I can find a 5 or 6 1/2 inch barreled model.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me go see what mine is.
Mine has the pinned barrel and recessed cylinders, but its a pre 27. I think they just called this one the S&W 357 Magnum. It has something I have never seen, hex head sideplate screws. The top strap and rear sight are checkered. I might need to research this thing a little bit.
The SER# is 3XXX if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy had a used Mode27 in his shop that was one of the original long action designs with the old grooved hammer and various other original old features(other than just the recessed chambers and pinned barrel) like the gold bead patridge front sight, it was pretty high mileage and likely had another cylinder fitted to it some where along it's life but man did it ever have the SWEETEST double action and single action trigger pulls.    It was likely made between 1935 and 1940, thing was OLD as heck!   But man, that trigger felt awesome, almost like the concept of "friction" was entirely foreign to whoever did the action job.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats the way mine feels. Thats why I wonder about those hex side plate screws. Maybe someone has been into this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top