Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/6/2007 3:25:02 AM EDT

(WCCO) A Garrison family is wondering why a Sheriff's Deputy had to shoot and kill their dog in front of a toddler. It happened during a bank robbery investigation at a rural home a few miles south of Garrison, near the shore of Lake Mille Lacs.

It started about 9 a.m. on Thursday after an armed robber took about $2,800 from the First National Bank of Deerwood in Garrison. An hour and a half later, Sheriff's deputies showed up at Jennifer Stiernagel's rural home a few miles away. The Stiernagel's had a silver Camry parked in the driveway. It matched the description of the robber's getaway car.

Jennifer was alone with her two-year old son, Derek. As she talked to an investigator in the front yard, she noticed a deputy nearby approaching her two dogs. She said Duke, the Basset Hound, was barking, Eddie, the Terrier Lab, was lying in the grass growling.

"The dog was down, he didn't try jumping at him," said Stiernagel, "he didn't do anything, as soon as I turned around, he shot him right in the head."

Derek watched from the front deck 20 feet away.

"I ran into the house and grabbed him," said Derek's mother. "I put him in the house and he wouldn't leave me and he was holding onto me and he was crying."

Sergeant Chad Paulson of The Crow Wing Sheriff's Department says the deputy had his weapon drawn because the bank robber may have been on the premises. He also said the deputy "shot the dog because it approached him growling, baring it's teeth, with the hair on it's neck standing up."

Stiernagel says the deputies could have handled the situation without causing any harm.

"They could have said 'hey, you need to get your dog in the house, I feel threatened by the dog.' They could have maced the dog, they could have tasered the dog. They could have done a number of things. They could have shot his paw, shot beside the dog, they didn't have to kill the dog," she said.

The Stiernagel's are not connected to the bank robbery. Investigators are looking for a 6 foot man weighing 225 pounds and dark goatee. He was seen wearing a Twins cap and a blue jacket and drove a silver Camry.

wcco.com/topstories/local_story_271221137.html

WTF?

ETA:  Pic of dog  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't wait to be highlighted in Arfcom for a similar situation...  I can feel it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Good thing the kid didn't bark or growl.

I know I did, at that age.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
And here I thought that Toyota made more than one silver camry.

Tagging this thread for an update of the actual model and color of the getaway car.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Oink.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
IBTL

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets hope the responding officers show better judgment in the future. I can just see it now. During a traffic stop someone tells the LEO to go f*** themselves in anger. BANG! After all, the person was yelling at the officer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
[Little girl scream] I thought he would eat me.  Pussy!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

So he should have just let the animal attack?z
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Eddie, the Terrier Lab.....

terrier lab= fancy talk for  mixed pitbull

LEO shoulda not shot the dog while it was on the ground not advanceing,, but i doubt  thats what happened..... but oh well... such is life...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get your dog inside Mam  is way to much to ask huh?

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you look at me in an aggressive manner, does this mean I should preemptively put 2 rounds COM, just in case you were going to attack me? There were other means to resolve the situation without shooting the dog:

- Have the owner lock up the dogs
- Taser the dogs
- Mace the dogs
- Crack the mutt over the head with an ASP

You wouldn't happen to be a LEO?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Id be a wanted man after an incident like that. My dogs are a huge part of my life.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He isnt
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
That's it!

I'm NOT reading anymore threads with "cop" or "dog" in them!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
It sickens me to read this stuff. I know if it were my dog, it would be my last day as a free man
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#17]
So he shot a dog for being a dog?  If I were put in a similar situation, I'm not sure what I would do to the officer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#18]

"They could have said 'hey, you need to get your dog in the house, I feel threatened by the dog.' They could have maced the dog, they could have tasered the dog. They could have done a number of things. They could have shot his paw, shot beside the dog, they didn't have to kill the dog," she said.

sounds familiar to the proverbial.....they didn't have to kill him, they could have shot him in the arm, leg, warning shot, blah, blah, blah, blah
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So he shot a dog for being a dog?  If I were put in a similar situation, I'm not sure what I would do to the officer.

nothing
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#20]
not likely
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]

not likely

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

I like all the outrage being displayed when even the dog owner admits she wasnt looking at what was occuring when the dog was shot
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If  he killed an attacking dog, I wouldnt have as much of a problem. This seems to be a gross over reaction with terrible consequences. If the facts are as stated, he should be fired. Pussy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you look at me in an aggressive manner, does this mean I should preemptively put 2 rounds COM, just in case you were going to attack me? There were other means to resolve the situation without shooting the dog:

- Have the owner lock up the dogs
- Taser the dogs
- Mace the dogs
- Crack the mutt over the head with an ASP

It's actually pretty hard to get an effective taser shot on a dog.  The probe spread is (IIRC) 5*, it doesn't take long for the probes to spread farther than a dog's body.  Also a LOT of Officers don't have Taser's.

Then you have a thread *Cop beats dog to death in front of toddler*.  Not to mention my ASP is 26" long.  If a dog is going to attack me 26" isn't nearly long enough, thanks.

As for the OC (I don't know anyone that carries "mace" anymore) this also isn't a very effective tool against a dog that is pissed off and trying to attack, much like it often doesn't work on people that are pissed and hell bent on attacking.  OC is also very messy, everyone gets a little taste.

I'm not saying what this cop did was necessarily right or wrong.  I didn't even read the whole news story.  I'm just saying things are a little different when you have fido growling at you with a rigid body, bare teeth and the hair on his back standing up like he's gunna have you for lunch.

Don't they always say stop the threat by the quickest legal means?  Thats what happened.

/flamesuit on

ETA Color
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:36:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Why did the officer approach the dog in the first place?  Do you poke a hornet's nest when you find it and then act surprised when you get stung?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

not likely

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

I like all the outrage being displayed when even the dog owner admits she wasnt looking at what was occuring when the dog was shot

"The dog was down, he didn't try jumping at him," said Stiernagel, "he didn't do anything, as soon as I turned around, he shot him right in the head."
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Is this serious?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this serious?

LOL...we know most Barney Fife's couldn't hit the broad side of a barn let alone a paw
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

sounds familiar to the proverbial.....they didn't have to kill him, they could have shot him in the arm, leg, warning shot, blah, blah, blah, blah

So the only reasonable course of action when confronted with a growling dog is to shoot it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#30]
The dog probably disobeyed a direct order to 'don't move' by the officer,some things just need a killin'.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#31]
So how big is a terrier lab?

Good thing the horrificaly dangerous basset hound didn't present a threat.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The dog probably disobeyed a direct order to 'don't move' by the officer,some things just need a killin'.

The officer MEANT to say 'roll over', but actually said 'sit', which it did, so he shot it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I would even argue that it might be prudent for the cop to be willing to take a bite(and subsequent rabies shot f necessary) before killing the pet of a family that is likely not even deserving of the officers presence. I mean, it would be different if this were a dog at a crack house, that is there to protect criminals. Discretion seems to be a lost art. I sympathize with an officers tough job. I have a lot of respect for good cops, but this seems very unnecessary.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this serious?

Pretty sure that is satire for "Why didn't he shoot the gun out of the suspect's hand?" or whatever other "Mah baby dint do nuthin' to hurt nobody" scenario.

That said, I think it is REALLY fucked up when you end up shooting a dog when you're at a property for no reason. I can understand the puppy popping on warrants, but this whole situation seems pretty damn weak. That guy would run out of ammo pretty damn quick if he went pulling into random citizens' driveways and shot every dog that acted aggressive toward him.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
That said, I think it is REALLY fucked up when you end up shooting a dog when you're at a property for no reason.

Good thing they were on the property for a reason
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That said, I think it is REALLY fucked up when you end up shooting a dog when you're at a property for no reason.

So why did the officer continue to approach the dogs for NO REASON?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a lot of silver cars in Mille Lacs County. And it's about 90 minutes up the road from Minneapolis/St. Paul. What's the dog body count gonna be by the time they check out every silver car in the metro counties region?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#38]
stop being democrats and consider the owner may not be credible

two sides to all of these
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I wasnt there, just like everyone else in this thread.  If I were to habor a guess, he was probably trying to get closer to the residence to see if he might see the robbery suspect inside.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Fact 1 - There was a bank robbery.
Fact 2 - Suspect vehicle was a silver Camry.
Fact 3 - Silver Camry parked in residential yard miles away from the bank.
Fact 4 - Dog shot on private property of owner.
Fact 5 - This Camry is one of the hundreds of thousands of silver Camrys that was not related to the crime.

There must be some facts missing, I'm sure there is more to this story?!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#41]
My neighbor drives a silver car, and we're just under and hour from Garrison. Should I shoot his dog if it growls or barks at me?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Fact 1 - There was a bank robbery.
Fact 2 - Suspect vehicle was a silver Camry.
Fact 3 - Silver Camry parked in yard.
Fact 4 - Dog shot on private property of owner.
Fact 5 - This Camry is one of the hundreds of thousands of silver Camrys that was not related to the crime.

There must be some facts missing, I'm sure there is more to this story?!

Everybody can tell the difference between a Camry and a Mazda 626 at a glance as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
My neighbor drives a silver car, and we're just under and hour from Garrison. Should I shoot his dog if it growls or barks at me?

Do so if you wish. Now back to the information in this thread
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasnt there, just like everyone else in this thread.  If I were to habor a guess, he was probably trying to get closer to the residence to see if he might see the robbery suspect inside.

If I were approaching a strange dog and it growled and showed its teeth to me (like just about EVERY dog on the planet would do) I would stop approaching the dog.  Maybe that requires more brain cells than some people have.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I would even argue that it might be prudent for the cop to be willing to take a bite(and subsequent rabies shot f necessary) before killing the pet of a family that is likely not even deserving of the officers presence. I mean, it would be different if this were a dog at a crack house, that is there to protect criminals. Discretion seems to be a lost art. I sympathize with an officers tough job. I have a lot of respect for good cops, but this seems very unnecessary.

Are you serious?

Damn, I need a raise.

Same old same old BS over and over.

Maybe it was a good shoot maybe not.  I wasn't there, neither was anyone else here, at least not that has come forward yet.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently the dog can drive a silver camery, is 6'2 and has a goaty
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently the dog can drive a silver camery, is 6'2 and has a goaty

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#48]
He shot the dog because he could.

It's just that simple.

People come here all the time, UPS, postman, electric man: "That dog bite?" "Nah, he won't hurt you." End of story.

Or, "Hold on a minute, let me get my dog in the house." End of story.

He shot their pet because he could and that is all there is to it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
He shot the dog because he could.

It's just that simple.

People come here all the time, UPS, postman, electric man: "That dog bite?" "Nah, he won't hurt you." End of story.

Or, "Hold on a minute, let me get my dog in the house." End of story.

He shot their pet because he could and that is all there is to it.

Damn, you were there? Why didn't they interview you about it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#50]
The locals are tight knit in that area, the cop just lost a lot
of respect and support in that county.

He will forever be known as the cop who shot so and so's dog.

GM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top