Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2007 11:11:21 PM EDT
Just came back from AT&T store with a "Tilt" pda...
AND 2 IPhones...

What does arfcom think of this IPhone??
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTSPFMW
(In Before The Stupid Pic From Madison's Website)

ETA: I think they cost too much for what they are, but they sure are fun to play with (like fake boobs!)

How's the Tilt?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
ghey
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IBTSPFMW

ETA: I think they cost too much for what they are, but they sure are fun to play with (like fake boobs!)

How's the Tilt?

Pleasantly surprised with Tilt:
Great build quality
Good GPS hardware-livesearch maps work great, telenav kinda sucks
Great 3G speed
so far real impressed
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
So will I become a "Steve Jobs"  "Drone"...
I don't think so...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Over priced.  

Great engineering and very user friendly design like most apple products.  If I had extra money, I'd love to get one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
iDon't
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IBTSPFMW

How's the Tilt?

You're thinking Maddox.  http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

As for me, I have no need for the functions of an iPhone.  A regular cellphone does just fine for me, as I primarily use my cellphone as an emergency means of communication or for situations when I can't get to a regular phone.  

I don't use cellphones for fun, and I have no desire to switch to AT&T anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the tech side of the iphone is pretty neat.  I think its way over priced. I would like to see more of this type tech or similar startrek tech in the near future, at a less price ofcourse.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the tech side of the iphone is pretty neat.  I think its way over priced. I would like to see more of this type tech or similar startrek tech in the near future, at a less price ofcourse.

If you consider the Iphone @ $399. is an UNSUSIDIZED price it's not that high in comparison to other devices such as GPS recievers, navigators, unlocked MOTO razors, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
If you consider the Iphone @ $399. is an UNSUBSIDIZED price it's not that high in comparison to other devices such as GPS recievers, navigators, unlocked MOTO razors, etc.

Correct!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I dig mine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I dont have the phone...but I do have the Ipod touch....very impressive so far...no real gripes aside from the small memory.
the user interface is briliant though
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
The 8925, Tilt will serve you better in the long run and provide ten times the functionality that the Crapple iPhone provides.

YMMV.

You made a very basic post describing that you bought them. Do they have a purpose, or functionality to you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you consider the Iphone @ $399. is an UNSUSIDIZED price it's not that high in comparison to other devices such as GPS recievers, navigators, unlocked MOTO razors, etc.

You make a good point but still after tax, i still think 400 somthing is a bit pricy for a phone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#15]
i would have brought an iPhone if it wasn't for ATT POS service and reception here in Columbus. I use to have Cingular/ATT 2 years ago and switched to Verizon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll stick with my Nokia, and spend the savings on ammo.

ETA:  Given what the iPhone started at, I paid pretty much the same price for this when it was all said and done:

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just came back from AT&T store with a "Tilt" pda...
AND 2 IPhones...

What does arfcom think of this IPhone??

Further proof of the old adage "A fool and his money..."
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm curious to hear more about what you think of the Tilt. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

How is the internet service on it? Do you find that you are able to access it in most areas? How fast?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Ijunk.

Apple sucks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#21]
My sister has one and I love it. I will definately be buying one as soon as I renew my phone contract.

As for those who think it's too expensive, show me a better deal on a Phone/PDA/web browser/GPS/Mp3/Video player. Hell, the iPhone is cheap for the features it offers.

BTW, you can get the 4 gig version for less than $250.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ijunk.

Apple sucks.

Aside from blind "It's Apple, so it sucks." mentality, got any other reason?

Nope. That's the best he can do. It sucks because he said so.  Apple haters are even worse than GLOCK haters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#24]
DT
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
If you hate apple and hate jorge then you'll probably piss yourself on this
Apple- Irack
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My sister has one and I love it. I will definately be buying one as soon as I renew my phone contract.

As for those who think it's too expensive, show me a better deal on a Phone/PDA/web browser/GPS/Mp3/Video player. Hell, the iPhone is cheap for the features it offers.

BTW, you can get the 4 gig version for less than $250.

GPS? I didn't think that the iphone had GPS? That's one of the reasons why I thought the Tilt looked so nice.

My only gripes with the iphone is that, from what I've read, it can't sync with outlook. Sure, you can get your email with it, but from what I understand you can't do your contacts, appointments, etc. How true is that?

Also, I don't like the fact that Apple makes it so difficult to add 3rd party apps.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but while you are paying as much as you would for an unsubsidized unlocked phone with no contract, you get a locked phone with a 2-year contract. And less capabilities then any other unsubsidized unlocked phone in that price range (esp. the original price). To be generous, it's a gadget for people who don't know much about gadgets but are willing to spend more and get less for what is perceived to be the coolest device.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I think they are cool, I have verizon, and will not be going back to gayT&T.  I will wait till verizon gets them, which might be a few years.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I got one for free from work. I keep using my 6700 from verizon. They are nice, but the lack of exchange integration kills it for me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag for Tilt info.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Tag for Tilt info.

BTT
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#33]
BTT, still wondering if anyone can answer my questions about the iphone.

Does it have GPS or not? I thought it didn't, but we have one poster here saying it does?

What about 3rd party apps? I understand that you can't load them, unless you unlock the phone. But then if you try to update the phone it sounds like Apple's update will kill an unlocked phone. WTF?

Is there any way to sync outlook on the iphone? Not just email, but contacts, appointments, etc? I think only email works.

To me it sounds like the Tilt can do everything I want. The ONLY thing holding me back right now is that the iphone is smaller in size and I think it does have "cool factor" in how the touch screen interface works. Although I will say that in the short time I played with one I found that I had a hard time getting it to do what I wanted it to do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#34]
tag, I have actually been considering those two phones so I am interested in hearing his thoughts after playing around with them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#35]

My only gripes with the iphone is that, from what I've read, it can't sync with outlook. Sure, you can get your email with it, but from what I understand you can't do your contacts, appointments, etc. How true is that?

It syncs fine with Outlook 2003 and 2007, just not anything older than that.  I have my contacts, calendar, and email on both my pc and ipwn.

Does it have GPS or not? I thought it didn't, but we have one poster here saying it does?

The only thing I could find close to GPS was Navizon, but you have to have the older software on your iphone.  I used it for the trial period, and it was nice but didn't need it enough to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I have one and I like it.  It's the only Apple product I own (had an iPod Nano, but gave it to my little sis).  It's a good device.  The interface is the best I've seen on a phone.  The browser is cool, even if it's missing things like Flash.  The email client is a little simplistic, but it works.  The camera isn't too bad if you have good lighting.  Typing on the screen keyboard isn't as difficult as it seems, but you don't have tactile feedback.   As a phone, it works well, but they need to bump up the volume a little bit more.  (get a good bluetooth headset like the Jawbone with it's noise reduction if you're going to try to use the phone in a somewhat noisy area)

With the price break, it's not such a bad deal... IF you're not opposed to using AT&T.  I get good signal where I usually am - at work or at home, I get full bars.  EDGE speeds aren't great, but most of the time it isn't HORRIBLE.  

I like that it's thin enough that I just drop it into my pocket and off I go.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I got mine 2 weeks after they came out and all I can say is it kicks butt, I have not had one problem, and works as advertised. Any one who who degrades them is just jealous.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#38]
When Apple said they would make upgrades that are required, and those upgrades would ruin the unlocked iphones, that's when I decided I would never own one.

I'm not paying for a proprietary system where every add-on must come at retail pricing...

TXL
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#39]
90% of my time on arfcom is done on my iPhone. Zero complaints. I don't need gps on my phone, I don't use outlook, and other PDAs are too bulky for me to drop in my pocket and I refuse to wear a phone holster. I can make calls, surf the web, download music anywhere i have wifi, use google maps, weather, email, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
BTT, still wondering if anyone can answer my questions about the iphone.

What about 3rd party apps? I understand that you can't load them, unless you unlock the phone. But then if you try to update the phone it sounds like Apple's update will kill an unlocked phone. WTF?

Is there any way to sync outlook on the iphone? Not just email, but contacts, appointments, etc? I think only email works.

To me it sounds like the Tilt can do everything I want. The ONLY thing holding me back right now is that the iphone is smaller in size and I think it does have "cool factor" in how the touch screen interface works. Although I will say that in the short time I played with one I found that I had a hard time getting it to do what I wanted it to do.

to answer your question no it does not have gps, it uses google maps and satellite. yes you can sync with outlook, not just email it also uses itunes to sync.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#41]
No 3G
No real Outlook integration (having real integration with Exchange Server on my phone means I don't have to always have a computer handy)

Those are my main issues, but then my phone is a tool, not a toy.  My finace bought me a 4GB MicroSD card for my Blackjack; I loaded a bunch of music on it, but other tan checking out the bluetooth stereo headphones I don't think I've ever bothered to listen to it.  

Blackjack for the win in a business environment.  Oh, and I have a tiny bluetooth Pharos GPS receiver that links with Microsoft Live on my Blackjackjack for real-time navigation.  I've used it a couple of times and i t works OK, though it's not a replacement for a real navigation system.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#42]
It's a very slick device, and for what it does, it's not overpriced, compared to other smart phones.

It doesn't have GPS like a Magellan. It may have some hidden GPS for tracking in emergencies, like most cell phones, but I'm not sure.

The main weakness is current absence of 3rd party software. I hear some will be available over time (some web based, some installed), but the quality is yet to be seen, and Apple will hold the key.

I love mine. It's also amazingly intuitive and easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No 3G
No real Outlook integration (having real integration with Exchange Server on my phone means I don't have to always have a computer handy)

Those are my main issues, but then my phone is a tool, not a toy.  My finace bought me a 4GB MicroSD card for my Blackjack; I loaded a bunch of music on it, but other tan checking out the bluetooth stereo headphones I don't think I've ever bothered to listen to it.  

Blackjack for the win in a business environment.  Oh, and I have a tiny bluetooth Pharos GPS receiver that links with Microsoft Live on my Blackjackjack for real-time navigation.  I've used it a couple of times and i t works OK, though it's not a replacement for a real navigation system.

Can you elaborate what you mean by no real Outlook integration?

Because some are saying that it syncs with outlook just fine. Are you referring to a different aspect of Outlook that I'm not considering? Or maybe I just have my terminology wrong. Basically what I'm getting at is what about Outlook can't the iphone do that something like the Tilt can do?

I believe he is confusing 'Outlook' with 'Exchange'.  

Ok, so what does that mean then? Do I have to physically connect to my PC to get my email, contacts, calenders, etc? Or can the iphone update that stuff on the fly as long as I have a cell signal?

You can check wherever you have signal.  I set up my email with an IMAP account so my email between my phone and home pc is always in sync.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No 3G

Can you elaborate what you mean by no real Outlook integration?

Because some are saying that it syncs with outlook just fine. Are you referring to a different aspect of Outlook that I'm not considering? Or maybe I just have my terminology wrong. Basically what I'm getting at is what about Outlook can't the iphone do that something like the Tilt can do?

I believe he is confusing 'Outlook' with 'Exchange'.  

Outlook is an extension of Exchange Server in the corporate environement; my Blackjack uses a mobile version of Outlook to connect directly to my Exchange server; I don't do any desktop synchronization or anything like that.  

I can respond to and modify meeting invitations sent via Exchange. I'm not required to use IMAP on my business mail servers to support email, or  make any special accomodations to use my phone as an Outlook client on the Exchange servers.  

Burt lack of 3G is the biggest pitfall of the phone. At best the EDGE network connection is half the speed of the 3G service, usualluy it is sugnificantly slower.  I use my phone as a network connection device for my notebook when I'm travelling or in locations with no wifi and I get 1.5m/512k Internet connection speeds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#45]
The iPhone is slow, the web cache is non-existant, and exchange integration is not up to par. As an iPod it is very nice. As a web browser or email machine - not so much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#46]
The iPhone will sync with Outlook, which is a client program commonly used with an Exchange Server email server.  It can be used as a stand alone email client for POP and IMAP accounts.

When you sync your iPhone with Outlook (through iTunes), it copies your POP and IMAP email accounts and settings, all of your contacts and calendar events to your phone.  Anything you have entered on the phone that is not in Outlook will get put into Outlook.

Once you have email accounts synced to your iPhone (or set up manually) the phone will use it's data connection (Edge or WiFi if you're connected to a WiFi network) to check email.  You can set this interval to manual, 15, 30 or 60 minutes.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The iPhone is slow, the web cache is non-existant, and exchange integration is not up to par. As an iPod it is very nice. As a web browser or email machine - not so much.

Do you speak from experience?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Meh.  I've fiddled around with 2 working display models at 2 Apple stores, and I'm not really impressed.  I have an LGVX8300, and it does what the Iphone does, except for YouTube, but I rarely use the phone's internet function anyway.

I also have no desire to switch from Verizon.  Buy what you want though.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Got one last week. It rocks. It's the first really useful PDA-type device I've used. I don't care about the iPhone part of it, but the web browser, maps, contacts, calendar and phone functions are excellent.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you speak from experience?  

I typed that reply on an iPhone. Yes, it is from experience. Here are my current phones:

(ETA: click through for larger image)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top