Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2007 8:03:59 PM EDT
What does the hive mind recommend doing while in Hawaii...I have about 5 days to play.  

I plan on doing some hiking, snorkeling, and kayaking so if you can recommend locations please do...

Any other "must do" activities?

How about on Oahu?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
On Maui, check out Io valley, Haleakala volcano, Lahaina, and there are a couple of clothing optional beaches there as well.........I was there 3 days and it was pretty nice..........also check out Molokini Reef
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I would spend most of my time at Pearl Harbor and the various other places of the attack.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Drive the road to Hana,  It's about 52 miles IIRC.

Drive up Haleakala Crater.

Take a dive boat somewhere.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Maui rocks!  I went to a magic show in Lahaina (Warren and Annabelle's) that kicked ass.  Eat at Bubba Gump's while you're there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummm...get laid.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
And that's the longest 3 hour ride I have ever taken in my life...........still a cool trip

Quoted:
Drive the road to Hana,  It's about 52 miles IIRC.

Drive up Haleakala Crater.

Take a dive boat somewhere.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Smoke da kine and go surf, brah.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Drive the road to Hanna and while your there go see this guy. The guys name is Arman. He is a great guy and fantastic pilot. The ride is unbelievable.  He starts off taking you along the coast over George Harrisons place and then inland over the rain forest. After that he will climb to about 6000' or higher to get a look at the crater.  He then cuts the engine and glides all the way back to the airport for an engine off landing.  Overall about an hours flight.

Be sure to make reservations.

ETA: Also drive around the other end of the island. The road is scary but the views are amazing and there aren't very many people around.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
SCUBA.  Snorkeling is insufficient around Maui.  You can go on a dive there even if you aren't certified...I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Little beach
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Haleakala is a must I think.  Check out Kaanapali beach and Hamoa beach, two of my favorites.  If you like snorkeling check out Black Rock, you don't need a boat you can swim right out.  Lahina is fun to hang out in too.  Road to Hana is awesome.

On our last day we took the road that goes around the north side, it was awesome.  Very narrow in places with blind corners.  

Get the book Maui Revealed if you can find it.  It was a great guide book but use common sense and don't trespass like it hints to do a few times.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Sex on the beach, maybe?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I've heard good things about this place:

ATV Maui
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Drink, watch sunset/sunrise.

Repeat as necessary.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
The road to Hana is a must. Plan most of a day for it and start early. Bring a camera and get a guide book cause a lot of the falls and such are easy to miss without some guidance. Be sure to stop at the "Halfway to Hana" store and have a snack. There is a little spot just off the road to Hana that is real cool, lots of rocks and small beach. Can't remember what it is called but it was in the guidebook we had.

Here is me at the "hidden spot"

And make sure you make it to the "Blue Pool" which is almost to Hana. Drive down the road, ignore the "closed" signs cause it never really closes. Walk down the road to the beach and then go left across the water. Hike the rocks and you'll see it tucked back in the rocks some.

On your way back from Hana stop at the Paia Fish Market and have a Mahi Burger. I'm not a seafood fan at all but that "burger" was one of the best tasting things I've ever eaten. Here is a pic, my brother walking in.

Crappy cell phone pic of my Mahi burger

We had a beach house in Kehei for a week and that was pretty cool. If you are into golfing be sure to do some golfing. Hit up Maui Golf in Kehei for the discount fees and club rentals. Super cool peeps in there who helped out a ton.

And Big Beach is pretty cool. We went there a couple times. No alcohol there though.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#18]
My guide books wer packed with plugs about "Snorkel Bob's"  In reality the cheap deals are teasers basedon primitive gar., to get a good set up was much more than you'd expect, so it seemed like "bait & switch" to me.

Some of the good snorkeling spots pit of town have had their mileage markers removed by the locals. so if you think you've narrowed it down, go for it or ask a local.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Little beach

Only if you are queer and want to meet for sex.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sex on the beach, maybe?

Yea, everyone has to do that at least once in their life.

Of course, after the first time, you realize why nobody talks about a second time.

Fucking sand everywhere...

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
I would spend most of my time at Pearl Harbor and the various other places of the attack.

Just thought I'd point out that Pearl is on Oahu, not Maui.  

BTW, I loved Maui, can't wait to go back!

BZ
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#22]
See if you can find this...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Well thanks to everyone for their good suggestions...I'll have some pics to post when I get home.

We decided to snorkel at Fishbowl and Blackrock.  Both of these locations were great.  Fishbowl was a secluded cove at the end of about an hour hike across a lava field.  This definitely helps to keep it secluded.  Blackrock was great, but there was A LOT of people, being that it's located right along the resorts on the beach.  At both locations, we were able to see green sea turtles which really made the trips worthwhile.  I've made up my mind that when I come back in February that I'm bringing some fishing gear.

Our other major trip was the road to Hana.  I thought the trip was great.  2 other guys in our group had to deal with puking wives and called the trip the "road to divorce".   My wife did the smart thing and took some dramamine before the trip.  We stopped at many of the waterfalls, hiked the lava tube, hiked a nature walk, and stopped at the 7 sacred pools.  The nature walk was pretty cool, b/c I found some guava trees where I filled my pack full of guavas.  The 7 sacred pools were cool, but closed to swimming due to the recent rainfall.  One visitor won the Darwin Award while we were there and dove in.  That was 2 days ago and they still haven't found him.  There's a warning sign that if you get swept out to the ocean that there are a bunch of grey sharks.  I'm sure the sharks dined well.

Well tomorrow we go to Oahu and are planning on doing the Pearl Harbor Tour, visiting Punchbowl cemetary, and hiking Diamond Head.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#24]
drive east to Koko Head
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I go to Maui once a year for windsurfing.  Typically, I stay in a '70s condo in north  Kehei and drive to the windsurfing spots like Kanaha Beach Park on the north shore.  I don't do the resort thing, so I get a stronger exposure to non resort life.

Locals are angry.  I really can't blame them.  They live in a beautiful state, that's being gentrified and divided up by very wealthy west coasters.  Unlike on the mainland, there's only so many places that you can be pushed out of...   Understand this, property crime is rampant! Never leave your lodging unlocked and never leave anything unattended 'just for a second'.  If you are going to remote places, it's nearly advisable to leave your car unlocked so it won't get broken into.  For the locals, it appears that stealing from Haoles (this would be you) is not considered offensive.  

There are incidents of Haoles (again, this would be you) getting jumped and badly beaten, and yes these are legitimate racially motivated crimes.  Don't let your guard down because you are in Hawaii.  If you are in a nice area, you will be fine.   If you are leaving a bar at 2:00am and walking through a dark alley to get to your car, be very careful.

I love it there, and have had some great times.  I do however get concerned for the 18 year olds that fly in, and want to do the hippie thing and backpack around the islands spreading peace and love.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
drive east to Koko Head

Again...wrong island.

Silly haoles...

Kama'aina on Pg 2, braddah!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
drive east to Koko Head

Again...wrong island.

Silly haoles...

I guess you missed the part where he said:

Well tomorrow we go to Oahu and are planning on doing the Pearl Harbor Tour, visiting Punchbowl cemetary, and hiking Diamond Head.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:Locals are angry.  I really can't blame them.  They live in a beautiful state, that's being gentrified and divided up by very wealthy west coasters.  

Ain't that the truth. Fortunately for me and my trip I look Hawaiin. We noticed where ever we went that I seemed to get treated nicely while everyone else kinda got the cold shoulder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top