Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2001 1:08:57 PM EDT
For once those communists at the Pravda West( aka L.A. Times) got it right about guns!

[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-102001gear.story [/url]

Check out the blurbs about the "The M-4 Carbine Is New Gun of Choice", and "MP-5 submachine gun."
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
They didn't get it completely right.  The M4 is not a new weapon and they failed in their description to mention that it basically a carbine version of the M16.

They could get a AR18, which is two inches shorter with the stock folded, and you have a full length barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
AR 18 is 9mm?
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AR 18 is 9mm?
View Quote

Nope.  5.56/.223, as is the M4, M16, and AR15.  They are not made anymore, but ArmaLite is reintroducing the AR180, which is the semiauto version of the AR18.  I would be very easy for them to make a military version with select fire, folding stock, and flash hider.  It uses a different buffer system than the M16/M4/AR15 and is thus able to have a folding/removable stock and yet have a full lenth barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They didn't get it completely right.  The M4 is not a new weapon and they failed in their description to mention that it basically a carbine version of the M16.
They are not made anymore, but ArmaLite is reintroducing the AR180, which is the semiauto version of the AR18. I would be very easy for them to make a military version with select fire, folding stock, and flash hider. It uses a different buffer system than the M16/M4/AR15 and is thus able to have a folding/removable stock and yet have a full lenth barrel.

View Quote

Well sorry almost, well at least most of the description etc is essentially correct.

I didn't know that Armalite has been building new AR180s.  I'm going to pop over to the Armlite site and check it out.  It would be cool to have the U.S. military adopt the AR180, but I guess it is easy to do a few rifles, but when you have a train load full of them, I suspect things could be very different in term of support & spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are not made anymore, but ArmaLite is reintroducing the AR180, which is the semiauto version of the AR18. I would be very easy for them to make a military version with select fire, folding stock, and flash hider. It uses a different buffer system than the M16/M4/AR15 and is thus able to have a folding/removable stock and yet have a full lenth barrel.

View Quote

Well sorry almost, well at least most of the description etc is essentially correct.

I didn't know that Armalite has been building new AR180s.  I'm going to pop over to the Armlite site and check it out.  It would be cool to have the U.S. military adopt the AR180, but I guess it is easy to do a few rifles, but when you have a train load full of them, I suspect things could be very different in term of support & spare parts.
View Quote
Right now they are on hold because a vendor substituted a sub standard material in the cam pin guide.  Also, the civilian version won't have the folding stock.  Postban, you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top