Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2007 5:40:29 AM EDT
During the past year the radio stations in Phila, Pa have censored profanity in classic rock songs.  Songs such as Money by Pink Floyd, Who Are You by The Who and songs by U2 and Van Halen are not being censored.  There are more songs but those are the ones that come to mind.  Why the sudden push to censor the lyrics of classic rock songs that have been on the radio for 30 years uncensored?  Just seems stupid.

Ken
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Because more and more commercial radio stations are being owned by fewer and fewer parent companies.

Entercom = teh debbil.

Siruis > XM >>> Radio.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, but I have noticed this as well

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Because of huge FCC fines, and a FCC that is very willing to fine radio stations.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Just listen to hip hop...all the profanity you need..
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Janet Jackson's tittie.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I noticed it too, I figured big bro decided I no longer should hear those words.

ALthough, now that I think about it, they should just ban classic rock, it's had it's run...

J/K Dont flame me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Well one thing I noticed lately is that Nazareth's Hair of the Dog doesnt get censored and he says 'son of a bitch' how many times? But then in one of Godsmacks new songs right in the begining he says it once and I even think only that once and they block it. WTF!? Is it because he says it w/ anger?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well one thing I noticed lately is that Nazareth's Hair of the Dog doesnt get censored and he says 'son of a bitch' how many times? But then in one of Godsmacks new songs right in the begining he says it once and I even think only that once and they block it. WTF!? Is it because he says it w/ anger?

Could be. If so, it would be one of the few times that I've seen censorship in the US done in a sensible way: Intent should be what's important, not the word itself.

However, I think being scared of the FCC as mentioned above is the reason. FCC needs to back off a bit. Hell, a lot. My God, think of the Children, they might go through life without ever seeing a 'wardrobe malfuction'

NTM
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a lot different than the old days of small FM radio stations with counter-culture DJ's.
Now Clear Channel even drug tests their DJ's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The did this so that every jackass 19 year old will download "Crazy Bitch" as their cell ringtone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is a lot different than the old days of small FM radio stations with counter-culture DJ's.
Now Clear Channel even drug tests their DJ's.

What. The. Fuck.

No wonder radio sucks now. I like my beer cold, my musicians decadent, and my DJ's attempting to live a better life through chemistry. I don't do any of these things, but I like to live vicariously through others.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#12]
It's been nearly two years since I've willingly listened to terrestrial testicle radio.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#13]
they censored "tits" out of a offspring song today, wow you cant say "tits" anymore?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Sirius in my truck. No censorship.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
they censored "tits" out of a offspring song today, wow you cant say "tits" anymore?

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SHOWBIZ/books/12/27/george.carlin/story.carlin.bw.jpg

And tits shouldn't even be on the list, man!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#17]
CYA.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#18]
go listen to "Rockstar" by Nickelback on CD, Mp3, whatever.  Then go listen to it on a terrestrial radio.  Note the word "drug" and "drugs" omitted.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
go listen to "Rockstar" by Nickelback on CD, Mp3, whatever.  Then go listen to it on a terrestrial radio.  Note the word "drug" and "drugs" omitted.

my local radio stations still play it with drug and drugs in it but they bleep assholes and ass

worse edited up song the radio used to play was everlast - what its like.

it has the usual words to bleep like fuck and shit, but they also bleeped: balls, weed, whore, god damn, drugs, chrome .45
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just listen to hip hop...all the profanity you need..

Hip Hop is ok. They are oppressed so they can spew filth and profanity all they want.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my local radio stations still play it with drug and drugs in it but they bleep assholes and ass

worse edited up song the radio used to play was everlast - what its like.

it has the usual words to bleep like fuck and shit, but they also bleeped: balls, weed, whore, god damn, drugs, chrome .45

"ass" and "assholes" along with "drug" and "drugs" are bleeped.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#22]
One that drives me nuts is "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" where they will bleep out "whore" and half of "god damn". Uhh, yeah. That isn't the FCC. That's just a bunch of prudes.
Who needs government censorship when the church will do it for them?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And tits shouldn't even be on the list, man!

Tater tits....

just sayin

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Don McLean was wrong...they day they changed "little white pills" to "little white lines (the highway kind, not the mirror-smelling kind) in Six Days on the Road was the actual day the muuuuuuusic died.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don McLean was wrong...they day they changed "little white pills" to "little white lines (the highway kind, not the mirror-smelling kind) in Six Days on the Road was the actual day the muuuuuuusic died.

!!!

They fucked up Ernest Tubb?! Somebody actually made it "I'm taking little white lines and my eyes are open wide"?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
The FCC has gone nuts and stations are scared.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

who is that?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Janet Jackson's tittie.

Yep.

I also noticed this. However, after the D's won in 06, I noticed many stopped censoring the songs soon afterwards.

GR
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

!!!

They fucked up Ernest Tubb?! Somebody actually made it "I'm taking little white lines and my eyes are open wide"?

Thats almost just as drug related as "little white pills."
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#30]
You can tell who's old enough to have listened to the the radio when these songs were "popular music" instead of classic rock.

Just a hint kid: Songs like money and hair of the dog NEVER got on the air until just a few years ago.

Who are you has a "radio" version that got good airplay.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You can tell who's old enough to have listened to the the radio when these songs were "popular music" instead of classic rock.

Just a hint kid: Songs like money and hair of the dog NEVER got on the air until just a few years ago.

My dad disagrees, listening to Toledo FM radio in the 70's...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad disagrees, listening to Toledo FM radio in the 70's...

I've seen your posts... God knows what your dad was smoking in the 70s.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Ah yes, the free flow of obscenities will indeed improve our society.

It will make us more enlightened.  It will bring us closer to who we are supposed to be.

The masses are now demanding their unfettered access to songs laced with profanities.  It's for the good of our country.
Are you guys even listening to what you're saying?

Demanding to hear people use foul language?

Call me a prude or whatever you want, but I don't consider that entertainment.  Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate and evidence of negligent parenting.

Just sayin'.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

who is that?

Sorry to break it to you kid, but that is your biological father.  He's a little disappointed you didn't just look at the link to catch his name as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That stuff has always been on Boston radio. And they played it to death, and STILL do! I'm so sick of hearing it, I wish they would ban it all. Down with worn-out, boring classic rock!
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Ah yes, the free flow of obscenities will indeed improve our society.

It will make us more enlightened.  It will bring us closer to who we are supposed to be.

The masses are now demanding their unfettered access to songs laced with profanities.  It's for the good of our country.
Are you guys even listening to what you're saying?

Demanding to hear people use foul language?

Call me a prude or whatever you want, but I don't consider that entertainment.  Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate and evidence of negligent parenting.

Just sayin'.  

Huh- jes 'nother example of Da Man putting down da free expression of the Downtrodden. Honkie m@%$#&*%#!

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
There is a fine line between bleeping something like "son of a bitch"("The Devil Went Down To Georgia-Charlie Daniels) and bleeping "drug" in the context of "everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial" in the aforementioned "Rockstar".

There's a point of absurdity when it's a double standard when a station played the aformentioned "Rockstar" edited but the song "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks is played unedited.

Finally, go watch a movie like "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" on DVD or VHS and then watch a version on TBS or Fox that was edited.  A lot of the "good stuff" is what has profanity, not that it makes it better, but see what I mean?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That stuff has always been on Boston radio. And they played it to death, and STILL do! I'm so sick of hearing it, I wish they would ban it all. Down with worn-out, boring classic rock!

Ahhh, maybe its just "flyover country" that made you buy the album so you could hear the "good songs."

I can distinctly remember a couple of DJs getting fired from local radio stations because they put the wrong song on the air.

... Then again, I can also remember when MTV was actually good.

I guess it all evens out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Huh- jes 'nother example of Da Man putting down da free expression of the Downtrodden. Honkie m@%$#&*%#!

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is a fine line between bleeping something like "son of a bitch"("The Devil Went Down To Georgia-Charlie Daniels) and bleeping "drug" in the context of "everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial" in the aforementioned "Rockstar".

There's a point of absurdity when it's a double standard when a station played the aformentioned "Rockstar" edited but the song "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks is played unedited.

Finally, go watch a movie like "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" on DVD or VHS and then watch a version on TBS or Fox that was edited.  A lot of the "good stuff" is what has profanity, not that it makes it better, but see what I mean?

I'm not at all offended by Charlie Daniels saying "son of a gun" in "The Devil Went Down To Georgia."

As for the language in movies, I enjoyed watching "My Cousin Vinnie" on TV with the words dubbed.  Maybe I'm just a freak, an aberration of nature, an anomaly from another dimension.  But, I was able to sit down with my kids and watch the movie and laugh at stuff that was genuinely funny.

How the heck did Abbott & Costello make a living without cussing every other word?  Oh yeah, they told jokes that didn't rely on shocking people into laughing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Censorship keeps me safe from the devil.

I'm a sissy.

Please protect me from these horrid things.

I have no self control.

I'll go anywhere I'm lead.

Blur and muffle the world please.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms, Money for Nothing:

"The little faggot with the earring and the make-up. Yeah buddy, that's his own hair."

Faggot is often dropped, when the entire verse isn't.

Wouldn't want to upset the rimmers, fisters and cocksuckers with a word like, "faggot."
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Wouldn't want to upset the rimmers, fisters and cocksuckers with a word like, "faggot."

So many sig lines, so little space......
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't like Classic Rock then change the damn channel.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#45]
The Eagles Steve Miller's "Big Ol' Jet Airliner"

Original: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky shit going on(down?) in the city...

Denuttified: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky stuff going on(down?) in the city... (or just blanked).

And I noticed that in 1988 boys n girls.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Funny..men can masturbate openly in front of little kids at the butsex fair in San Francisco..but I am not allowed to hear the cuss words in '70's rock music.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The Eagles "Big Ol' Jet Airliner"

Original: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky shit going on(down?) in the city...

Denuttified: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky stuff going on(down?) in the city... (or just blanked).

Steve miller.  Not the Eagles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The Eagles "Big Ol' Jet Airliner"

I have always heard shit...

Will they ever play this one again:

Im a bitch, Im a bitch
Oh the bitch is back
Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
I can bitch, I can bitch
`cause Im better than you
Its the way that I move
The things that I do

Or this:

"Dont give me that do goody good bullshit"

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I never thought I'd have to pay to listen to the radio; but since my new truck came with XM there's no going back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#50]
My local classic rock station doesn't do that ghey shit.  I'm not a huge classic rock fan, but it's always on at work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top