Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2007 12:53:27 PM EDT
I see it here and other places all the time. You're still saying fuck or shit or whatever. It's not really any classier or somehow less bad. Taking out a vowel or replacing it with a different character (# * % etc) doesn't change the connotation and the person reading it will still connect the dots in their mind when reading it. So... you're still cussing. If you do it to get past a profanity filter then I understand. AR15.com doesn't have one though, so what's the point?

I don't want to single anybody out, but here's a quote from somebody in another thread as an example though it wasn't a vowel:

....and then crawled behind the curtain. Priceless. Bonaduce is a little Shi$, but he's a roid raged mean ole shi$. Wouldn't screw with him.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They do not wish to offend our eternal overlords.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
F*ck if I know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Because they are g y.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
One time I said m**cr*b.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My Grandma used to say "hang dang it" instead of "G&dD$mn it". I never understood why she thought she was fooling God because it certainly didn't fool any of the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One time I said m**cr*b.

You shouldn't say, or even think that, God hates that word.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#8]
what the fuck are you talking about?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck y*u
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know, but not having a ton of foul language may help keep this site from getting filtered.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
$hit. Wrong thread. Where's the "Why Do Some People Here Omit the Consonants in a Cuss Word When They Type It Out?" thread?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand doing it in topic titles.  It's against the rules to use an actual swear in the title.  But in regular posts?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Fuck y*u

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Fuck y*u

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what the fuck are you talking about?

Sarcasm aside, typically it'll be something like

Quoted:
Oh man did you guys see that game last night?! The Diamondbacks were f%cking rocking!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I asked my brother in law a similar question regarding his use of the word "freak". He'll say stuff like, "I hit my freakin finger with a hammer trying to hang that freakin picture". I told him that if he was going to cuss, then go ahead and cuss. Cause him saying freak is the same thing as me saying fuck.

He didn't get it. He just stood there and looked at me like this
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I asked my brother in law a similar question regarding his use of the word "freak". He'll say stuff like, "I hit my freakin finger with a hammer trying to hang that freakin picture". I told him that if he was going to cuss, then go ahead and cuss. Cause him saying freak is the same thing as me saying fuck.

He didn't get it. He just stood there and looked at me like this

I've often said the same thing about people that replace a cussword with something less offensive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Who fucking cares?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I like when adults say words like "gosh, darn, shoot, freak" etc, when they are seriously pissed off. It makes me LOL at them  Just say shit for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
They do it because they don't know how to spell the real words. They're just a bunch of illiterate f*cks!

lol, they installed their own mental swear filter! That's insane.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why Do Some People Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word In Their Thread Titles? It's Really Difficult To Type Like This Anyway. Hell, It Took Me Like A Minute And A Half Just To Type This.

I Think It's Because They Make It Like Book Titles Which Are Capitalized Like That.

I Don't So Much As Mind When They Do That... It's When They Capitalize Every Letter At The Beginning Of A Word Throughout Their Entire Post That Gets To Me. It's Just To Hard And Really Makes You Wonder.

THEN THERE'S THE PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON TYPING IN ALL CAPS, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO YELL... BUT, WHY DON'T THEY JUST ADJUST THEIR INTERNAL SETTINGS OR USE THE "BOLD" AND "SIZE" OPTIONS PROVIDED BY THE FORUM?

iT'S ALSO PRETTY FUNNY WHEN THEY TYPE LIKE THIS. tHEY DON'T REALIZE THAT CAPS IS ON AND THEY HIT THE SHIFT KEY IN AN ATTEMPT TO CAPITALIZE THE PROPER WORDS/LETTERS, ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT AFTER EVERYTHING IS TYPED OUT, EVERYTHING IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY HAD WANTED. bUT, THAT'S WHAT THEY GET FOR STARRING AT THE KEYBOARD WHILE TYPING. tHEN THEY USUALLY ADD SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO THE BOTTOM OF THEIR POST: Sorry about the caps... Didn't want to have to retype.
(**This gives me an idea: What if there was a FireFox add-on that allowed you to correct everything you typed with a single click? It would make it easier on us readers.)

Yhens thers tghe pelkle eho are soi frunk thaey can't eben typees......... Ans we neefd a translayer to combert it alkl to egnlish.

Then you also have the people who can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on) and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on without ever attempting to press the 'Enter/Return' key even once in their entire post, and most of the time you'll find that if you do manage to read their post that it is one of the most useless things that you have read since stgar15's barbie doll threads.

Then there's the people (Or I should say 'person' because I suspect it is only one guy x-crossing different boards.) that absolutely, positively have some defect in their mind (OCD?) that makes them start out every post with "Welllllllllllllllllllllll," and I'm not exaggerating the quantity of the letter L's being used.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why Do Some People Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word In Their Thread Titles? It's Really Difficult To Type Like This Anyway. Hell, It Took Me Like A Minute And A Half Just To Type This.

I Think It's Because They Make It Like Book Titles Which Are Capitalized Like That.

Yeah, I Kind Of Figured That, Mainly Because He Didn't Capitalize The First Letters Of "Minor" Words, Such As "The" And "Of". But Still, This Isn't A Book, It Makes It Hard To Read, And As Stated, It's A Real Pain In The Ass @$$ To Type Like This.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll It's Still a Title Though
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Well what the fuck?

ETA: I'm going to read the CoC now
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey, watch your fucking language. That kind of shit doesn't fly here!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#27]
i think it's just b/c ppl can;t spell.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
One time I said m**cr*b.

M**cr*b FTW.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#29]
cheese and Rice you mother F*ckers have no class
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
One time I said m**cr*b.

I'd eat a wet bucket full of shit before I ate me**rob again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#31]
*Boondock Saint's Voice*
Well, it certainly demonstrates the versatility of the word.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#32]
It's not real cussin', just ask Clinton.. or Ahmadinejad.

Anyways, if you keep some of the symbolism that indicates something's taboo (that would be the @#*) you stand a snowball's chance in hell of shocking people.  Otherwise it's just everyday crappy english skills.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#33]
BOB SAGET
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Because I don't want to type a reply from work and have my cuss word be the one that trips my work's profanity filter.  Nothing like tapping into a thread, only to have your post be the one that tagged the magic boo-boo word count.

But now I am posting from home, whick fucking-a rocks.  Guess I won't be checking this thread tomorrow from work, either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#35]
My Mammaw used to say "Shit" when she meant to say "Shit". She used to tell me that "GD" was my great-grandfather's favorite curseword. I'm continuing the family tradition.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
F*ck if I know.

I just won a $1 bet with myself that if I came here to post that, you would have already beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Are we talking about those same people that come up with creative  ( read stupid )
ways to spell common words like " owned , gay , " etc . ?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
*Boondock Saint's Voice*
Well, it certainly demonstrates the versatility of the word.

*Boondock Saint's Voice*

" FUCK ASS "
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
fuck-a rock

Fixed that for ya.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#40]
...and last night, my wife told me she would like me to cum on her tits...

ETA, Fuck you, you fucking fucks. Page 3 Owned!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Fudge you, motherfather!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#42]
... excelled in algebra
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#43]
F_ck Y___

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#44]
What pisses me off, is on another site where no cursing is allowed, people will type something like "*******" (not kidding, 7 of those little star-lookin-fucks), and I can't tell what the hell they are trying to say.  At least put one of the letters in so that the rest of us can try to guess what word you are too scared to use.  Or pick a number of capital 8's that corresponds to a real word.

The other one, is on tv or radio, someone tries to say "asshole"  and you hear "ass-bleep."  Good job on the button, way to go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I like when adults say words like "gosh, darn, shoot, freak" etc, when they are seriously pissed off. It makes me LOL at them  Just say shit for fucks sake.

See Sig
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Fuck the fucking fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I don't care for profanity.  I don't use it in my everyday life/conversation, so I don't use it here.  I use words like "dang" and "heck" and "doggoned" here because that's how I talk in real life.

Cursing doesn't "offend" me per se and I generally don't care what type of language anyone chooses to use, but I will admit an automatic, internal bias I have when I hear such language used indiscriminately -- I become automatically dubious about the individual's intelligence, education, upbringing, and/or class.  I know that it is sometimes a baseless bias (I know many good, intelligent people who curse as a matter of simple habit), but it is a deep-rooted bias I have and acknowledge just the same.  YMMV.

All of that being said, since I don't talk like that and I don't post like that I really don't like to have such in my posts, even within a quote.  So, while you won't see me use something like f*** or s**t in something I write here, you will quite often see me edit someone's quote in that manner, so I am not de facto swearing here myself.

E.g.:

Quoted:
F*** the f***ing f***ers.

The quote maintains its "integrity" without me contributing to something that I don't personally care for, here or elsewhere.

So, if I've ever quoted you and partially edited out your profanity with asterisks, you now know why.

I feel like that is the most politely offended I have ever been. I am completely ok with it. Point well taken.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#49]
It ain't really Fuc#ing cursing if you do not type out the whole g@d D#mn F@#king word
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#50]
W*uldn't you l!ke to fucking kn@w, m%therfucker!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top