Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2007 8:42:56 AM EDT
what's up with these?

It's amazing to me that these are still made.

Seems like 1/2 of the big cheap domestic sedans sold in SW Florida have one.

My cursory research has revealed that they're popular among transplants from MI/OH/IL/IN.

I need answers to these pressing matters.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#1]
IDK, maybe people are too cheap for the whole vinyl top.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
i saw one on a honda accord the other day.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
People wanting to give the "convertible" appearance.....remember the fake convertible tops that even had the fake snaps along the edges..I think they called those "Phaeton roofs" That was big in the 70s as well
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Dumbest idea ever!!

Does it keep the car cooler inside or serve any kind of purpose besides looking retarded?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
People that want to look pimp.

One of my BIGGEST automotive pet peeves. I see this stuff on EVERYTHING: Toyota Camrys, Nissan Altimas, Crown Vics, Mercury Grand Marquises, Mercury Cougars, Ford Fusions, Chrysler 300s, stuff like that. I mean I wouldn't mind it on a 70's Chevelle where it's factory but this stuff today looks like butt.

My grandmother had a Buick Roadmaster with the 1/4 top and it looked nice, it was the only recent one that looked good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
didja know that it is a throw back to the landau topped carriage?

It seems that the Landau is a design of German origin, perhaps from the Bavarian town of Landau. It meets all the criteria of the Coach family even though it does not have a fixed roof, but a top that folds down or up in 2 separate pieces which generally lock-up at a center point. The entrance door is generally low and usually has a step for easy entry. Interior seats, allowing for 4 people, face each other. The driver's seat, of course, is elevated and on the outside of the carriage. The Landau pictured here represents a variety with a canoe shaped bottom line, or continuous curve, rather than the more common drop-center that has much more angular lines. This carriage is called a Dress Landau and would have been used exclusively by noble families and only on special or ceremonial occasions. Note the crest on the door panel. Such formal vehicles would have been highly unusual in America. This Landau was manufactured in Stuttgart, Germany, by F & W Munch, in approximately 1890.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top