Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/26/2007 10:59:44 AM EDT
Wildcat calibers: I know there are more efficient, better preforming rounds out there. I just don't like the fact that they are expensive and hard to get (mail order only). 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC come to mind. Maybe if I had a reloading set up I would be more interested.

Cowboy action shooting: It would be cool if the guns were cheaper. Just can't bring myself to pay the prices for old tech black poweder guns and special ammo when for the same prices I could be buying new semi autos.

Buying 20 cheap mil surp rifles: I will never understand this. I know the ammo is cheap, I know the guns are cheap, I just don't get the pleasure some people get of looking at a rack of 20 Mosin Nagants. That being said I don't buy any guns to collect alone. I buy them to shoot and have as additional self/home defense weapons.

Revolvers: I will probally get in hot water for saying this, Again an antiquated/niche design. I like em all right but would never carry one as a primary.

Inline Blackpowder rifles, single shot rifles and other dedicated hunting weapons I have no interest in. Modern battle rifles will take game just as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Skeet, and im not talking about trap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah 1 of everything is cool.
A Dozen of one thing I will never understand.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Long Range Precision Rifles. I've never been interested in shooting a bolt gun at 1,000 yards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Mindless waste of ammo called bump-firing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mindless waste of ammo called bump-firing.

+1
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Long Range Precision Rifles. I've never been interested in shooting a bolt gun at 1,000 yards.

+1

In the .mil if you're a sniper I could see being into it but for me, it doesnt have any appeal.
Plus theres like no places to shoot even past 300yds around here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Lever Actions do not interest me in the least bit

New cartridges that try to reinvent the wheel such as .45GAP and .357Sig

Cowboy Action Shooting
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I am.

No bolt gun though, and I don't know any ranges that are over 100 yards here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I get bored punching paper pretty quick.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Hunting.  I like to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#12]
hell i only like military surplus rifles and bump firing. so im going to have to say everything else.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wildcat calibers: I know there are more efficient, better preforming rounds out there. I just don't like the fact that they are expensive and hard to get (mail order only). 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC come to mind. Maybe if I had a reloading set up I would be more interested.

How is 6.8 a 'Wildcat'?  It's loaded by 4 domestic companies including Hornady and Remmington.  Just about every AR manufacturer produces a 6.8 SPC model (including the largest civie mfg - Bushmaster - and one of kit shops.  You can also buy bolt action rifles and single shot rifles (Thompson-Contenders) as well as a version of the Ruger Mini-14 in 6.8.

Heck we've had a couple of members buy 6.8 ammo at Walrmart.

I admit it has a strong following. And with mil surp ammo drying up it is becoming more and more attractive if I am buying new production ammo anyway why not a less common caliber.

Untill it is widely adopted (usually through military 5.56 or wide spread Law Enforcement use i.e. 40 S&W) I  characterize it as a wildcat caliber. Maybe that isn't the truest definition. But there is a list of hard to find/get calibers a mile long. The walmart test is a great indicator and I do think 6.8 maybe on verge of getting big.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Bump firing and other pointless wastes of ammo that basically prove nothing other than being a jackass that likes to make noise.  .45 GAP is an accident waiting to happen and accomplishes nothing in my view.  Rifles above .375 H&H...I'll probably never be able to afford to go to Africa and would rather make it 4 or 5 trips to Montana or BC for something I can bring home and not catch tropical diseases, and I don't fancy dislocating my shoulder.  Pistols over .44 Mag--same reason.  Sub 4" revolvers--unless really, really gorgeous.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Hunting:  I have no need to do it, and killing things isn't fun for me.  I don't think hunting is wrong/immoral/inhumane etc, I'd just have no interest in doing it.

Most "Fudd" guns.  I prefer firearms that are defensive in nature so for the most part a side-by-side and a deer rifle aren't up my alley.

Revolvers:  I've never really gotten into them, although I am really into the old west type guns simply because of the novelty and history behind them.

Blackpowder:  Why?  I thought that we invented smokeless powder and the metallic cartridge for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
You know, I'm trying real hard to think of something.  But I kinda have a finger in every bowl of pudding.  I hunt, I shoot long range for fun, I compete in 3 gun, USPSA on occasion, trap, I've shot sporting clays, I've bump fired, I've got AR's, AK's, fine hunting rifles, cheap surplus rifles, a black powder, a single shot, just about everything that's available to me I've tried at least twice.

Oh.

.50 cal guns.  I actually built a Maadi action and most of the rest of the parts about 3 years ago.  They're still sitting in a box in the shop, rusting.  I have no interest in pissing away $1.50++ a round for something I have absolutely no practical use for.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't understand or have no interest in:
Owning a dozen copies or slight variations of the same gun.

Finding value in certain or lower serial numbers. Hey this number on this gun isn't as high and is automatically worth more than this one which is the exact same thing only it was made a few years later!

Safe Queens

I have little to no interest in hunting.

Revolvers

Glocks are good guns, but I just don't like them. I prefer 1911s or the USP line of pistols.

Blackpowder guns

Lever action guns

The mandate that you should never sell a gun.

As for bumpfiring, I only do that to show off for people that haven't been shooting much or at all.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't get into the shotgun sports.  I've shot skeet a few times and even bought a couple shotguns for it, but never got serious.

I also don't care much about .50 or full auto, simply because I have no place to shoot them.  If my club allowed it, I'd probably have both.

But I like high power rifle competition and action pistol competition.  I'd like to like cowboy shooting, but I never had a cowboy fetish.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Most of it that doesn't involve hunting or target competition (NRA High Power / Service Rifle, mostly).

Specifically:
ANY of it that involves pretending to be a special forces type. (3 gun, etc).
Cowboy shooting. (seems like mostly an excuse to play dress-up)
Collecting safe queens. (why spend the money on something just to put it in a safe)
Shotgun "sports".  (most seem to be either super-redneck-assholes, or holier-than-thou-because-I-have-a-$30k-fowling-piece-and-you-don't types)

That said, they all fall under the "shooting" hobby, and as such, I will never say that they should be outlawed.  I may feel they're stupid or a waste of time or money, but its your time or money to waste, and you should have every right to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Bullseye shooting, too boring, too slow, I like to rapid fire, not bump fire though.  I like shoot things that move when shot: clay pidgeons, drink cans, etc.  Basically I'm a plinker and skeet shooter.  

Never got into the cheap C&R surplus rifles, don't need 'em nor want 'em.

I would like to get into shooting at longer distances and 50 cal but no ranges near me that's convenient I can shoot more than 200 yards or allow a .50 cal
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not really interested in black powder guns. I'm not crazy about skeet/trap guns either. 99% of my guns are tools for self-defense. I don't really have any range toys...not that there's anything wrong with that!
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#22]
No interest whatsoever in hunting, or trap/skeet
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Anything black powder for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Hunting. I've done it, but don't find it enjoyable.

Collecting guns. Might be a function of my budget, but I don't own guns I don't shoot.

Surplus Guns. Moisin's and Enfields, etc... No interest whatsoever (Exception: M1).

Black powder/cowboy stuff. No interest at all.

I am evolving however. Long range stuff used to hold no interest to me, now I am getting into it a some. Also, I used to think an over under was such a waste, and now looking into getting one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hunting.  I like to shoot.

+1 hunting will never do it for me, I just like to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Wildcat calibers:
Cowboy action shooting:
Mil surp rifles:
Revolvers:
Inline Blackpowder rifles/Hunting only rifles:
Race Guns:
Precision Rifles:
Trap/Skeet Shotgunning:
Collecting period:  I have guns for shooting and SHTF.  I have no desire for one of each, although I do buy weapons in pairs or duplicate a platform several times over for standardization purposes, back ups and zombie-day hand out guns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't have many things about guns that don't interest me. Even revolvers that I had sold off are getting my interest again. 8 shots of .357 Magnum sound pretty potent to me compared to a wonder-nine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Cowboy shooting. The matches look fun but the Halloween costumes are gay (and look hot)

Skeet and trap, seems boring but I'm not very good at it.

That's odd. I've heard that you are quite fond of wearing chaps.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I have tried just about everything and enjoyed it

hunting , trap, skeet , 3 gun , IPSC, IDPA, skeet , sporting clays , high power , silhouette ETC ETC ETC....

I own some big bores and a couple wildcats

However I will not do anything you have to dress up in a costume to do

Cowboy shooting , BP rendezvous , reenacting etc ...
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow.  I can't believe the amount of people that don't like shooting clays.   I find it rather fun but to each their own I guess.

I don't have much desire for anything black powder..
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Hmmm....

I guess trap/skeet is about all I can think of.  I'd say bumpfiring too, but I don't even really count that as a "firearm thing".

ETA: Also, benchrest shooting.

Every single other thing that I've thought I wasn't interested in, I became interested in once exposed to it...that includes revolvers, blackpowder, reloading, cowboy action, C&R collecting, and a lot of other things that I just shrugged at before.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#34]

I dont reload, cuz i'm the jackass that is already dangerous enough cleaning guns with a ciggarette hanging outta my mouth
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not much of a hunter either. Bolt action pistols don't do much for me. I've tried black powder, and to me, it's ok, but did not keep my interest.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#36]
varmint hunting. whats the point in shooting a harmless crow? i can understand wildlife management on large tracts of property, but i dont get shooting an animal that you arent going to eat and then posting pics on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I prefer weapons that are/were military/police issue and semi-auto pistols.

Not a big fan of tiny tack driver Anschutz type rifles, revolvers and fudd guns.

If its not black and scary I'm not interested. I like practicality.

+ 1 on not liking bumpfiring, benchresting, hunting and safe queens.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No interest whatsoever in hunting, or trap/skeet

I'll get burned for saying this.  

But I could care less about "the animal", I could care less what it is, or how pretty it is...etc. I get just as much enjoyment out of shooting squirrels/crows/foxes/rabbits with a .308, as I do a large buck. I just like to kill stuff with my guns (not in a sick microwaving your puppy way) I like the chase, and I like to shoot at living, moving, things.......and I like the after effects of large caliber, small animal.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#39]
About the only things listed here thet don't appeal to me are:

Inline black powder rifles - If it's black powder it should be historic not just another way to shoot another deer.

Benchrest shooting - to technically intense and not aplicable to any real life application.  (Precision rifles not shot off a table totally different.)
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#41]
black powder

cowboy action
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Soon as I read the thread title I said "black powder" to myself.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Politics.  I hate that crap.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Good grief, what is it with the hostility to non-SHTF/EBR stuff?  Did someone scare you folks with a piece of vension as a kid?
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Full auto.  I know it's on everybody's love list, but after trying it a couple of times it just does nothing for me (after about 1 mag).  I wouldn't mind shooting an M2 a few times though, as long as someone else was buying the ammo.

Black powder.  With the exception of historical artillery (which is a hoot, but too expensive a habit for me), I have no interest.  I've tried it, I just didn't think it was all that fun (except that .75 balls are a hell of a large thing to throw downrange).

Revolutionary war/Civil War/cowboy/ubertactical dress up stuff.  If it's your thing, go for it, but it's not mine.  Tactical type shooting is fun, I just don't want to dress up in the gear.

Sitting in a box next to a feeder and calling it hunting.  Takes no skill (except making the shot I guess), and boring as hell.  If you're not sneaking up on something, you're not hunting (in my book).  It's effective, just not fun or challenging.

Camo.  As I said before, I'm not into dress up.  I've hunted everything I've ever wanted to hunt in jeans (including turkeys and other birds with good eyes), and never had much difficulty.  In my experience, being able to move quietly and sit still when necessary is far more important than what you wear. For some, it's part of the ritual.  If so, go for it.  I just personally don't like it.  That being said, if I ever found myself in a situation where I thought I had to wear it, I would.  Until then, it's Levis/Wranglers for me any day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Black rifles, why the hell would anybody want one of those.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Good grief, what is it with the hostility to non-SHTF/EBR stuff?  Did someone scare you folks with a piece of vension as a kid?

Its not hostility, its just we are not entertained from it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#48]
       fudds and new shooters
(the dangerous, irresponsible type)
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Being broke all the time.  Having to go home from the fun-store and explain to the wifey why I needed to buy a new gun that to her probably looks almost exactly like one or three that I already have.  Although she is really cool about it, likes to shoot, and is supportive of my BRD.

These are just aspects of it that I put up with in order to have lots of fun toys to tinker with, shoot, and gain the peace of mind / security that comes with being heavily armed.

Molon Labe

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#50]
My interst in firearms and shooting sports is limited only by time and budget.  I'd like to try a little bit of everything before I die.  In reality, I have to prioritize, and I put modern defensive type shooting first, both for pleasure and self-defense.

On the other hand, I'd like to try SASS, but I have no interest in playing dress-up.  If I could do it in normal clothes, then I'd be interested.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top