Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2001 7:47:24 AM EDT
Heard on Fox news that the unmanned, remotely piloted Predator spy planes now have missiles fitted on them and will be used to strike targets.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
iF YOU READ THE NAVAL INSTITUTE`S "PROCEEDINGS", you`ll see that this is the first step in developing UCAVs (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicles).
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Heard they put 'Hellfires' on 'em!

Eric The(NowThat'sNice!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Heard they put 'Hellfires' on 'em!
View Quote

Someone should come up with another missile, preferably antipersonnel, named the "Brimstone."
[;)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, but it doesn't make any difference if someone somewhere lacks the sack to take that shot.

We had Mullah Omar the head of the Taliban identified and confirmed at a meeting, and someone in Washinton DC asked a [b]DAMNED JAG LAWYER[/B] if we could fire him up.

"No, we'd better not."

Hand-wringing little fairies. This just goes to show how high up the feminization of the military has gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Rik, funny you should say that!  There actually is a missile named "Brimstone" in development - and yes, it is an offshoot of the "Hellfire."  I think it might be some kind of vehicle based type, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
A Maverick missile would work fine.  Pop the top on any tank located.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
You can just duct tape a claymore to one
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
OPSEC-
You can't post this stuff!  Now the Talibanis (who don't even have running F'ing water but are of course logged onto AR-15.com 24/7 and using cute Vegophillia nic-names) will know what we have coming after them.

Unless, oh, I get it, this is DISINFORMATION!  They aren't really armed, but we want them to think they are so they'll run away instead of standing there and shooting them down!

I give up.  

(no offense, just a rant).
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Mavericks are too heavy for the Predator UAV.  The Brimstone version is a milimeter-wave fire & forget AT missile where the Hellfire is laser-designated which the Predator has as part of it's sensor suite. It's better for non-armored vehicle targets.  The MMW targeting head wouldn't be able to lock onto certain targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top