Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 10:33:49 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a fixed-blade knife and the Cold Steel OSS looks kind of cool. It's less that $70 which is not too bad.

Does anyone know of a good on-line knife seller? And is Cold Steel any good? Pretty durable? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Matt,

Check out this place, not sure how busy it has been lately.  [url]server2.ezboard.com/bknifeartcomforums[/url]

Cold Steels are nice, my brother has one of their tantos.  I'm more of a Gerber and Columbia River man myself.  There are plenty of places to buy online, just do a search for the model you want.

Shouldn't you be spending this money on the HALO pistol class anyhow? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually buy my knives from other dealers,  but this place always had a well laid out site.

[url]www.knifecenter.com[/url]

Direct link:
[url]http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?CS38SS[/url]

$62.95
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Matt,

Check out this place, not sure how busy it has been lately.  [url]server2.ezboard.com/bknifeartcomforums[/url]

Cold Steels are nice, my brother has one of their tantos.  I'm more of a Gerber and Columbia River man myself.  There are plenty of places to buy online, just do a search for the model you want.

Shouldn't you be spending this money on the HALO pistol class anyhow? [;)]
View Quote

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I knew there had to be a group like ar15.com for knives. Cool!

I got a couple of brochures from Halo, so I went over to see their place. Man, it was cool. One of the instructors looks like some ex-Army guy, walking around with a Glock strapped to his side. First thing he says is, "You can rapid fire all you want." That got my attention real fast, so I hung around for a while to check it out. The best classes are LEO only, but there's still some good basic shotgun and handgun courses. I just have to convice the wife that we can afford $500 for it. Good luck!

Ulysse_Nardin_1846, thanks for the tip. I went to their site and the guy's appear not to have them in stock. Darn!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
i carry either a Benchmade, or cold steel exclusively. do not underestimate the capabilities of a high end folder. $500 for a training class??? by an EX-Army guy..... for all your tactical training needs i highly recommend a visit to your nearby Marine Corps recruiter! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Cold Steel products are very good. I have used the SRK since Desert Storm. The SRK is very durable and worth every penny. When you NEED a knife you will be glad to have the best. Have also bought other items from ColdSteel, from time to time they have mailed 2nds catalog, overstocks or blades with scrathes or coating marks, etc. Functional quality of knives are 100%
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.coldsteel.com/[/url]

Cold Steel, when you want the best. I own many custom and very old tooled steel Gerber Guardians MKIIs, but very few knives will stand up to the punishment to which Lynn subjects his fixed blades. His folders have the strongest locks on the market and the new line of REAL swords are simply the most authentic available.
Know this sounds like an ad, but from the kitchen knives to the "Imperial" lines nobody stands behind their products like Lynn.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:14:51 AM EDT
[#7]
About 15 years ago , I bought an original Cold Steel TANTO, the real selling point was when the salesman laid a quarter on a phone book and drove the Tanto through it and about half way through the phone book with one blow. (just using his hand) I have several Cold Steel products in my collection.  [:)>]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Cold Steel is awesome.  Great knives - their Carbon V stuff makes an atypical but refreshing tradeoff between rust resistance and excellent blade qualities.  And if you can afford it, they have damascus blades too.

For a bit less money, check out the stuff from United Cutlery or SpecOps brand.  Good knives, wide range of designs.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the SRK. Slices right through a deer's ribcage. Even splits their pelvis with relative ease. I've only heard 2 negatives about them: 1) The blades are thick and hard to sharpen after awhile. 2) Eventually the rubber grip comes off.
Haven't had to worry about either yet, but then I don't use a BFK every day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used a Carbon V Master Hunter for almost 10 years. It is a great knife and I have had no problems with it.

It came sharp and takes very little to touch up the edge when your skinning a critter.

You can't go wrong with a Cold Steel knife.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I own several Cold Steel knives. You would be hard pressed to find a beter series of fixed blade knives than those made by Cold Steel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Cold Steel fixed blade knives are among the very strongest, if not the strongest. I would put them up against just about anything else.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Don´t know if it counts as a knife, but i have a Cold Steel LTC Khukri.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#14]
MMMMCOLD STEEL the best IMHO
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Cold Steel SRK,, heavy, solid, razor sharp,, a knife that you can feel confident about.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Cold Steel knives are nice, but overpriced.  They have no manufacturing capability of their own.  They've had knives made under contract for them by Buck and Camillus domestically, and by various Asian makers too.  IMO, you reach a point of diminishing returns when you start buying high-end factory knives.  They aren't SO much better than midgrade knives as to be worth the price.  As for "Carbon V" steel, I challenge anybody to tell me just what that means.  Cold Steel is not a big enough player in the market that any steel maker is running up a custom alloy for them.  It's nothing but hype.  Hype is something Lynn Thompson does even better than he does knives.  Try this.  Run down to Sears and buy yourself a Schrade folding hunter type of lockback with a plain carbon steel blade.  It'll cost you, maybe, thirty bucks.  Use and abuse the hell out of that knife.  Now tell me how it was, in any way, inferior to the TiN-coated, 40% serrated, SEAL-authorized, G-10 handles, titanium lined, low radar signature, tanto-pointed Ninja Stabmaster 2001(tm) for the tasks you actually do with your knife.  Not the things you fantasize about doing.  The things you actually do.  I'll be waiting to hear.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Cold Steel knives are great, I own 4 of them and I'm carrying a Safe Keeper II right now.  In the scheme of things, I don't think they're overpriced, but that's my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#19]
IMO, you reach a point of diminishing returns when you start buying high-end factory knives. They aren't SO much better than midgrade knives as to be worth the price.
View Quote

What is a "midgrade" knife?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Midgrade knives are the factory knives in the approximately $30 price range.  They are made from common steels, typically do not have handles made from anything more exotic than delrin or zytel, and are from such well known makers as Schrade, Buck, Gerber, etc.  Yes, some of the same makers of this grade of knife also produce more expensive stuff as well.   Twice the price isn't necessarily going to get you twice the performance.
I'm serious, though.  Get yourself one of the various Schrade knives that have carbon steel blades and see if it doesn't perform every bit as well as one of Lynn "Tanto" Thompson's much-ballyhooed Carbon V knives, for about half the price.  If I were going to buy a tanto, I would buy one of Buck's tant-point models.  They made an awful lot of the Cold Steel ones that people like to brag on.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Cold steel voyager which has served well under mild and abusive conditions for over 5 years now.  It needs sharpening, but otherwise is a good blade.  

Mattja, See the meetings and events forum, look for the NorCal training thread.  You're invited too [:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#23]
My preference is Cold Steel Gunsite 5" or Gunsite 6" for a carry knife. I also like Spydercos Military model. I use these knives hard and none of them have ever let me down. I don't want one to either. I appreciate their quality and mid price range, there are more expensive knives then these, but I don't feel there are much better knives for my purposes IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
If you're looking at Cold Steel, have a look at KaBar: [url]http://www.ka-bar.com/[/url]  Their hi-end [b][i]Impact series[/b][/i], [b][i]Next Generation[/b][/i] and D2 steel knives are nice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#25]
For the ultimate in combat folders:
[img]http://www.mastersofdefense.com/specs/cqdtactknives.jpg[/img]
Accept no substitutes!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm very fond of my Cold Steel K5 kitchen knife.  It's done a fine job of slicing through tomatoes, cucumbers and whatever else I put in my salads.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks guys. Damn, these things sound like good knives.

Where's a good on-line seller?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
. I just have to convice the wife that we can afford $500 for it. Good luck!
quote]

Hey Matt, the handgun class sfoo is setting up for Dec. 9 is only 100 bucks for the whole day.  The carbine class will be sometime in January.  Check the meetings and events forum, there is still time to enter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#29]
[url]www.eknifeworks.com[/url]
[url]www.coldsteel.com[/url]

I'll second the vote for the seconds.  Usually you can only find those direct from the company.  Aside from the "2" burned into the hilt, they're top notch and it's so much easier to feel good about abusing the hell out of them.  I carry one everywhere, except airplanes now, not that I'm bitter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a SRK and use the sh*t out of it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
[url]www.tripleaughtdesign.com[/url]
[url]www.pvknife.com[/url]
[url]www.knifeoutlet.com[/url]
[url]www.2thehilt.com[/url]
[url]www.rayjayknives.com[/url]

Knifecenter is good, just look around for what you want and then find the best price.
Good luck,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As for "Carbon V" steel, I challenge anybody to tell me just what that means.

First, it means it's made in the USA.

Second, according to their website:

'some Cold Steel knives are made from Carbon V®, a high carbon, low alloy cutlery grade steel. This steel is superior in performance to most other steels due to its chemistry and also because of the close controls that we maintain at every stage of the manufacturing process. These controls begin at the steel mill where Cold Steel specifies the desired microstructure of the steel. Once smelted, each steel shipment is microscopically checked for structural quality, cleanliness and chemical content by an independent metallurgist not in the mill's employ. The blades are then blanked parallel to the rolling direction of the steel plate to optimize grain flow along the length of the blade. The final step is a precise heat treatment sequence that was developed by Cold Steel specifically for this custom steel. This heat treatment process is one of our most highly guarded trade secrets. It was arrived at over several years by using an exhaustive series of practical and metallurgical tests and observations. Overall, we believe that attention to detail in every phase of the manufacturing process is the primary reason for the superiority of our blades.'

Not to dimininsh the above, but essentially it boils down to most carbon steels outperforming most stainless steels in knife applications.  The stainless steel is alloyed for rust resistance where the carbon steel is alloyed for strength, ability to hold an edge, and other good characteristics for knife steel.

Say, does anyone have any recommendations for non-plastic nonsparking knives?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I have two cold steel knives and love them both.
Don't hesitate to buy one of the "seconds" listed in their catalog.  My Recon Tanto was a second and arrived in near perfect condition.
The cosmetic flaw took me several minutes to find.

I am very happy with my cold steel knives.  I even bought one for my dad for father's day.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Cold Steel Master Hunter with the Carbon V blade. I have skinned 2 hogs and a sheep on the same day with it without resharpening, thats about as good as you can get.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a Cold steel voyager which has served well under mild and abusive conditions for over 5 years now.  It needs sharpening, but otherwise is a good blade.  

Mattja, See the meetings and events forum, look for the NorCal training thread.  You're invited too [:)]
View Quote

Cool! I'll check it out. Thanks sfoo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I love the one I have!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a Cold Steel Master Hunter with the Carbon V blade. I have skinned 2 hogs and a sheep on the same day with it without resharpening, thats about as good as you can get.
View Quote

Same but substitute three deer. They are great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As for "Carbon V" steel, I challenge anybody to tell me just what that means.

First, it means it's made in the USA.

Second, according to their website:

'some Cold Steel knives are made from Carbon V®, a high carbon, low alloy cutlery grade steel. This steel is superior in performance to most other steels due to its chemistry and also because of the close controls that we maintain at every stage of the manufacturing process. These controls begin at the steel mill where Cold Steel specifies the desired microstructure of the steel. Once smelted, each steel shipment is microscopically checked for structural quality, cleanliness and chemical content by an independent metallurgist not in the mill's employ. The blades are then blanked parallel to the rolling direction of the steel plate to optimize grain flow along the length of the blade. The final step is a precise heat treatment sequence that was developed by Cold Steel specifically for this custom steel. This heat treatment process is one of our most highly guarded trade secrets. It was arrived at over several years by using an exhaustive series of practical and metallurgical tests and observations. Overall, we believe that attention to detail in every phase of the manufacturing process is the primary reason for the superiority of our blades.'

Not to dimininsh the above, but essentially it boils down to most carbon steels outperforming most stainless steels in knife applications.  The stainless steel is alloyed for rust resistance where the carbon steel is alloyed for strength, ability to hold an edge, and other good characteristics for knife steel.
View Quote

Made in the USA?  I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Cold steel doesn't have a factory, nor is the total product output by contractors for them enough to cause any steel maker to even notice them.  The whole cutlery industry put together doesn't have much clout with the steel makers.  Over the years, cutlery alloys have been changed or product lines dropped because steel makers quit producing a given alloy, and didn't give a rat's ass what the cuters had to say. I strongly suspect that "Carbon V" is nothing more than whatever carbon steel alloy their contractor uses in his own plain-jane line.  I know you aren't going to be inclined to believe me about any of this.  Go over to [url]http://www.4knives.net/[/url] and look at AG Russell's site.  Email him and ask him some questions, even.  He's a hell of a nice guy and knows more about knives, steel, and the cutlery industry than everybody on this board put together.
I'm not saying, btw, that Cold Steel knives are junk.  They aren't.  They are simply overpriced for the product delivered, especially at the high end.  The special projects stuff is actuall a good value.  I have a "scalping knife" and a bushman that are excellent performers and only costed a few dollars.  For the price of their high end stuff, you could get a Randall or have a custom knifemaker run you up a knife to your specs.  The thing to remember through all of this is that Lynn Thompson is one of the great hypemasters of all time.  If he hadn't formed Cold Steel, he could have risen to the top in an advertising corporation.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top