Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2001 2:28:28 PM EDT
I am considering buying one of these. I really like it's features, like AK style gas piston, FAL gas regulator, and basic AR controls.

I have seen discussions regarding parts availability, it's 1"-12" bbl. twist and butthole stock. My questions are:

1. Are there any replacement parts for this gun? Suppliers?

2. Is there an aftermarket pistol grip stock available? Price?

3. Operationally, how does this gun compare to your basic AR? Accuracy and reliability?

Also, any testimonials or criticism is welcomed.

SH
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
parts are not imported any more, and are hard to find. a very reliable weapon with the AK gas system.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Some AR parts will work, alot won't.  There are no suppliers for parts.  You see them once in a while, but not often.  You can modify still more AR parts to fit, but still there are plenty of parts that are Daewoo specific and will require custom fab.

2.Yes, you can use an ACE stock kit.  It's a high quality part, fits well, and you use US made internals and a USGI mag for the parts count to get the pistol grip.  I don't have the URL, but I'll see if I can find it.

3. Accuracy is as good or better than an AR.  Reliability is better.  It's far easier to clean and maintain.  It's still just as light as an AR too.

I own a Pre-ban K2, and it would be the perfect weapon for anything an AR would do.  There is not the parts availablity, nor the wide variety of variants available as an AR.  If you just want a good serviceable rifle, they're hard to beat.  If you're into all sorts of conversions, or different uppers, or stocking every extra part, then you're out of luck.

Most of the lower parts and springs are AR interchangable.  Some fitting may be required.  The firing pin is not AR, and is longer, so you can't modify one.  The bolt carrier can be made from an AR unit, but that's alot of machine work.  The bolt is close to an AR but not close enough.  The ejector would have to be custom.  Gas system parts and really the rest of the gun are pretty much Daewoo specific.  Some of the sight parts (like the windages drum) will interchange with the AR.  Little stuff like pins and springs are mostly AR.  You can pretty much cover most of your probable weakspots with AR parts or AR modified parts.  The firing pin and bolt though are pretty key, and you'd have to get the real thing or custom make them.  

I really like mine, and I'd buy another if I had the money kicking around and nothing else to buy.  I would buy a Daewoo over many other rifles.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Ross is right about accuracy; as far as reliability, a friend and I were out shooting his, and the selector just fell out of the rifle! I think what happened was he had accidentally got it in between "safe" and "semi", which allowed this to happen. Also, the DR200 for some reason, directs a jet of gas straight DOWN, which under rapid fire quickly turns your rifle into an anti-aircraft weapon. We finally cut off the fake suppressor and welded a smith compensator on it to cure that. Other than the freak problem with the selector, the DR200 is an outstanding rifle. Bob's rifle also has the skeleton stock and pistol grip, and it is well-made, but it made the rifle really nose-heavy. All in all, if you can't get a Pre-ban, get an AR, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The DR-200 has a 1-12 twist and is a better performer with 40 gr. projectiles than the heavier weights because of this. It is above all, an accurate, dependable rifle that is a pleasure to fire....turbo
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 3:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
the e-mail address for the ace stock set is-
www.riflestocks.com
phn#(530)346-2492
price of the stock is $164.95,realy well built
looks like it should be original,the finish is almost exact to the daewoo itself.
i just put one on my daewoo,looks great!
Link Posted: 3/17/2001 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend has an early model, daewoo, it shoots ok, but not great, not even close to my hbar, and every once in while, it won't go bang when it should, I don't think it's a mag problem or ammo problem, because his mags are good mags, and he doesnt shoot reloads.  personally I'd stick with the AR platform, mine is 100% reliable, and it shoots great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top