Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 2:37:29 PM EDT
After two years of working hard with the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, Michigan finally passed as shall issue CCW law.  Two months after turning in my completed application package I recieved my permit, so did about 200 other people in my county.  Now all I need are a couple good holsters.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!!!

Good holsters = Blade Tech or Ky-Tac...both Kydex material.

Whatchya goin to carry?  
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
How bad is the law? Limitations on what you can carry, where you can cary. costs, training, etc? Details man. We need details! [;)]

Holster recomendations tend to require us to know what and how  you plan to carry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn...Damn...Damn...Damn....

I wanna move home.

Maryland sucks.

Michigander in Maryland
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
At the present time the law is one of the more restrictive laws but not as expensive as some.  The permit itself is $60 + $15 for finger prints.  The training required is the NRA Personal Protection class, around $100 here.  The permit is good for three years.

Restrictions are schools, churches, entertainment facilities over 2,500 seats, and any place that serves alcohol.  The anti's are still going to try to get it repealed in Nov 2002, but we will stomp them into the ground yet again.

What I'm carrying:
I have a couple different pistols depending on how I need to dress.  I don't typically wear a jacket, vest, or lose shirt, so everything has be in hidden.  I'm also only 5' 8", so concealing something like my Glock 21 isn't going to happen unless I have a jacket.

I've got a .38 special 2" snub nose conealed hammer, which I have a deep concealment IWB holster for as well as an ankle holster.  I don't want this to be my primary carry gun, as it's only a 5 shot and in the past I was attacked by a group of 5 people.

The gun that I would really like to carry but don't know how with my above clothing restrictions is my Glock 30.

There are times that I will want to carry either my Glock 21 or Glock 22.  I've tried it with a lose flannel shirt but they print pretty bad.  I was thinking of getting a good shoulder holster for these and then try to add some clothes that would allow me to carry with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
MIerinMD -

Just move a little north. PA is shall issue (with no silly conditions), C3 friendly, and has plenty of places to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
No place that serves booze, no schools except to pick up and drop off kids, no sports or other big venues, no church unless your faith allows guns, no hospitals....
.02 BAC max...
must notify all overmaster policemen as soon as they address you...
all of the above were insisted upon by the Michigan State Police, who wear (not kidding) nazi dress uniforms, and the FOP.

We are now getting no airports, and no libraries is on the horizon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a paddle from Kramer, since I will need to take it off when I take my jecket off.
I have a 560 paddle now for my 1911 and like it, I hope the kramer is good for my carry gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine came 2 days ago!Congrats SWIRE,here in Tenn. you can carry almost anyplace that is not posted.Hospitals and National parks[any Federal buildings]and of course Airports are all offlimits.There are 12 other States that recognise TNs Handgun carry permits and I believe Michigan is one of them.Good luck and I hope you never have to use it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
While I have not received my permit yet, I know my prints are back. So all I have to do is go in front of the gun board, then I'm done.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After two years of working hard with the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, Michigan finally passed as shall issue CCW law.  Two months after turning in my completed application package I recieved my permit, so did about 200 other people in my county.  Now all I need are a couple good holsters.
View Quote

Congrats! I just signed up for the CCW class (Oct 27th), and as soon as I get that out of the way I'll take all the paperwork down for fingerprinting. I'm hoping to have the CCW by end of the year. I'm in Wayne County...so, I'm sure it'll take past the new year...but, If I'm lucky...it'll be a Christmas present.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While I have not received my permit yet, I know my prints are back. So all I have to do is go in front of the gun board, then I'm done.
View Quote

Gun Board??? I thought they did away with that, they only had to see the paperwork and approve/disapprove...I thought you had to go in fromt of the Board when you had to prove "need".

No_Expert
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What exactly does a gun board consist of??
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I really love the kydex holsters at [url]www.comp-tac.com[/url].  The guy who owns them, Greg Garrett, is a tactical trainer and shooter.  Used to be an actor and in the Houston Ballet of all things, but he's a great guy.  I've got his Shirt Tucker for my SW99 and it's awesome.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What exactly does a gun board consist of??
View Quote

A local prosecutor, a Sheriff (or rep I think) and a third person I don't remember. you had to appear before them after you submitted your application. If the paperwork was good, you then had to get their approval that you had sufficient "need" to carry.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used Eagle, Blackhawk and Safariland for years. Just got a couple Fobus holsters aand like them a lot.
They're lightweight (2oz)and have good retention. Price is right too. Comparitivly. Should be under $25.
[url]www.fobusholster.com[/url]

Spell check non-op.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I found out tonight they offer free classes at work and cover the application fees too!  No more excuses.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]
My favorite holster is my Fobus.  I got five different holsters after I got my CCW permit in NC.  GET A FOBUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[soapbox]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...I'm in Wayne County...so, I'm sure it'll take past the new year...but, If I'm lucky...it'll be a Christmas present.

No_Expert
View Quote

I'm in Wayne County too -- did you need to get letters of reference from two people? I heard that WCo. wants them. Taking my class November 17th!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I just found out that the NC CHL costs $90 and the restrictions would prevent me from carrying it in most of the places I frequent.  I'd still be a felon for carrying on state property.  What a joke!  Absolutely worthless to me.

This was the first time I went to get purchase permits in this county.  The sheriff's deputy in charge of permits was the meanest SOB I've ever met.  He didn't want to answer my questions, he just wanted to get rid of me.  Oh man, they really, really, dislike gun owners here, especially minority ones.  New South my ass!  It reeks of Jim Crow to me (still better than the "Empire" State though, hehe).  

I have to go get my three character references today and have them sign a form in front of a notary.  Honestly, what is the point since they are going to do a background check anyways?  Oh yeah, to intimidate me and waste my time.  Silly me!

Maybe I'll go get three county residents with Middle Eastern names to sign for me.  That'll be a hoot.  

This is what happens when you give a sheriff the power to make the rules.  What the hell is a sheriff doing making rules, isn't his job to enforce the rules?

The only gun "permit" worth a damn is the system Vermont has--no restrictions at all, no cards, no checks, no hassles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats!!

I live in the Livonia area and I am looking for a class to take. If you are near my area, would you mind giving me the information on the class you took? I was thinking of taking the course that Schoolcraft College is offering, but its 12 hours, spread over 3 days, and is running about $160.

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Trickshot,
I live in Wilmington NC.  I just submitted all my paperwork for my CCW about 3 weeks ago.  There are a lot of restrictions about where you can carry.  I'm just happy I can legally keep a gun concealed in my car.  As far as purchase permits, here you have to have 3 character witnesses, one of which has to sign off for you.  In other counties it is a lot easier.  Oh well, it's light years better than Kalifornia which is where I just moved from.
Take care
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Lou makes the best holster bar none, He can make a holster for just about anything. His leather is hand boned and fit perfect. Lou's holsters don't need snaps or plastic inserts to hold your gun in place. If nothing else try is gun belt, Looks just like a dress belt but stiff enough to hold a pistol firm and in the same place time and time again. Once you try a fine leather holster such as Lou Alessi or Milt sparks you will realize what you have been missing.

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've got a .38 special 2" snub nose conealed hammer
View Quote

A .38 special is a cool gun though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
You are now a proud member of the concealed carry civilian army. Congradulations Swire!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#25]
In Barry County we still have the gun board. It is made up of the Under Sherrif, State Police rep, and a NRA Instructor. I took my CCW class from him {instructor}, his name is Tom Stockwell. So it can't hurt to have a friend on the board. My class cost my 50.00 it lasted 12 hours. We had three instructors for eight people. One was Tom, an expolice officer, and the other two are Sheriff's deputys. I am ready for my premit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I'm in Wayne County...so, I'm sure it'll take past the new year...but, If I'm lucky...it'll be a Christmas present.

No_Expert
View Quote

I'm in Wayne County too -- did you need to get letters of reference from two people? I heard that WCo. wants them. Taking my class November 17th!
View Quote

Pickup the CCW packet from the Sheriff's dept. The two references are required. My local PD (Redford) didn't have any packets, I got mine right from the Sheriff's dept, since that's where you have to turn it in anyway.
Where are you taking the course? I'm taking it downriver at Wolverine in Brownstown. The other local options were booked through January. Wolverine still had openings earlier this week for the class on the 27th.

No_Expert

edited cause I can't remember dates
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congrats!!

I live in the Livonia area and I am looking for a class to take. If you are near my area, would you mind giving me the information on the class you took? I was thinking of taking the course that Schoolcraft College is offering, but its 12 hours, spread over 3 days, and is running about $160.

[beer]
View Quote

Wolverine is $150, (734-479-1390) one day course, and you do the range time afterwards at your convenience. (range time included in $150)

No_Expert
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn! That seems like a lot to go through for a CCW. Here in Pa., you walk in to your local county Sherrif's office and fill out a form. After a background check, you go back and they take your picture and hand you your "License to Carry Firearms". Cost was around $15 and is good for 5 years. No prints, no gun boards, no requirement to show sufficient need. Mine says right on the front: "Reason for carry: Protection". A "Shall Issue" law is the best. Also, in Pa. there used to be restrictions in some cities like Philly, but the state changed its constitution so that the cities cannot forbid carry. In fact, they cannot pass any laws more restrictive than the state law, where guns are concerned.
It's good that more states are enabling CCW, but I'm glad I live in one that has a sensible law. Too bad I work in Baltimore, Md. and can't carry on the job. I hope we can get a national shall issue CCW law some day, but I'm not holding my breath!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Guys,
Just got online, seen the topic, I have been teaching classes all day for CCW permit. I am a certified NRA instructor in Michigan. I believe we are going to have more classes in Monroe, Michigan on November 10 & 11th. If you are interested e-mail me or go to our website to get an idea about classes. The new dates are not up yet. www.geocities.com/redrick48144.

Red  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn! That seems like a lot to go through for a CCW. Here in Pa., you walk in to your local county Sherrif's office and fill out a form. After a background check, you go back and they take your picture and hand you your "License to Carry Firearms". Cost was around $15 and is good for 5 years. No prints, no gun boards, no requirement to show sufficient need. Mine says right on the front: "Reason for carry: Protection". A "Shall Issue" law is the best. Also, in Pa. there used to be restrictions in some cities like Philly, but the state changed its constitution so that the cities cannot forbid carry. In fact, they cannot pass any laws more restrictive than the state law, where guns are concerned.
It's good that more states are enabling CCW, but I'm glad I live in one that has a sensible law. Too bad I work in Baltimore, Md. and can't carry on the job. I hope we can get a national shall issue CCW law some day, but I'm not holding my breath!!!!!
View Quote

Well, this is a case of beggers can't be choosers. This is kind of the Step 1, until we can get to Step 2, so we'll take what we can get
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, this is a case of beggers can't be choosers. This is kind of the Step 1, until we can get to Step 2, so we'll take what we can get
View Quote

I understand completely. Keep after'em guys!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Congrats SWIRE!!! - I know ya'll up in michigan have been working very hard to pull this off.  Maybe one day we can all get a NCCW passed and we won't have to worry about all of the states getting into pissing contests about reciprocal agreements.  [toasting]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]
If you look at the Mich State Police site, it says nothing about reference letters (notarized).  I think this is just another example of Wayne County making up the rules as they go along.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#36]
congrats!!!  I'm jealous.  As your southern neighbor, I dont forsee getting one anytime soon.  Thank you Cook County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top