Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 2:12:51 PM EDT
I'm going Friday night at Hilton in Ames. Our tickets are on the floor, row 11? Not to bad I didn't think?

Anyone on the board seen this tour show and what did you think?  also details what was the setup inddor/out?

I think The Cult rocks, I am just as excited to see them!

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Being somewhat old, I had seen Aerosmith back in the `70's, and they were great. Then I saw them in the `80's and they sucked bad! Then I saw them this past June in Hershey, Pa. and they were great! It was an outdoor show and they had a second stage in the middle of the field. Luckily, I too was in the middle of the field and ended up all the way up close when they were on the field stage. From there they played most of their older classics. Overall a great show, even though it rained.
The Cult wasn't with them then. I can't even remember who opened, partly because I missed the opening band.
I'm going to see them again Nov. 9 in Philadelphia.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw them a few weeks ago, well, I saw most of it anyway.  I was working with EMS so I had to tend to drunk people for a few minutes.  I thought it was a really good show.  Aerosmith played a lot of new stuff, but they got out a few old songs too.  The setup was very cool, two stages: a main stage and a stage in the middle of the crowd.  They played a few songs, came out to the small stage and played about 5-6 songs, then went back to the main stage.  Sold out show (20,000) and the crowd was very into the music.  One of the best concerts I've seen this season.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I am soooo old I can remember seeing Aerosmith playing at high school dances in Massachusetts in the early 1970s before "Dream On" came out and became a hit. Used to see them quite a bit later at the old Palace Theatre in Providence, RI until about 1976 or so. They were a lot of fun. I can even remember seeing John Lennon's sometime backing band, Elephant's Memory, as their warm-up act- go figure.

Today? I'd love to go see them, but Tom Hamilton was on Boston radio a while back and talked about how he and his bandmates give money/support to Ted Kennedy's election campaigns and to Stop Handgun Violence, a local MA gun grabber group run by a real snake named John Rosenthal. Soooo I don't think Aerosmith will ever get another dime outta me...
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez, according to the Nuge the "Toxic Twins" like to go shooting with ol' Ted.  Guns have replaced drugs.  The band was better when they were on drugs.

I have seen Aerosmith twice, they sucked both times, although Toys, Dream On, Rocks and Get Your Wings are still great freakin' records.  Now, though, A-Smith are just a corporate moneymaking machine that makes Dodge commercials.

I saw the Cult once too, Lenny Kravitz opened and blew them away.  This was about 1993.  I was very disappointed 'cause I thought the Cult rocked.  I would like to see them again, with a better mix and Ian's voice in better shape I still have hope.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a HUGE Aerosmith fan, and I'm going to see them in Indianapolis this sunday...never heard of the Cult, but its all good. All I know is that I paid 55 bucks for tickets, AND Im going with my ex-girlfriend...so the show had BETTER rock to make it worth it. I know Steve and the boys wont let me down! [:)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Geez, according to the Nuge the "Toxic Twins" like to go shooting with ol' Ted.  Guns have replaced drugs.  The band was better when they were on drugs.
View Quote

Hmmm....I did not know that. Unless of course, A-smith like to have their cake and eat it too. After all, Boston is a big gun grabber town, and they like to keep the liberal kiddies (read: CD-buying public) happy...

I have seen Aerosmith twice, they sucked both times, although Toys, Dream On, Rocks and Get Your Wings are still great freakin' records.
View Quote

You betcha. Haven't touched any of their stuff since, although Pump wasn't bad. If it weren't for Run-DMC, they'd be "file under OD'ed at age 30 in the Chateau Marmont" or something.

Now, though, A-Smith are just a corporate moneymaking machine that makes Dodge commercials.
View Quote

Yuk. Glad I don't watch TV anymore.

I saw the Cult once too, Lenny Kravitz opened and blew them away.  This was about 1993.  I was very disappointed 'cause I thought the Cult rocked.  I would like to see them again, with a better mix and Ian's voice in better shape I still have hope.  
View Quote

Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy are a pretty interesting B-set bunch of rockers. Led Zep they'll never be, but they have outlasted their contemporaries in mid-80s British rock, just by sticking around. I saw them in 1985 in Germany (Mannheim)around the time "She Sells Sanctuary " was big in the Bundesrepublik, and jeez were they freakin' LOUD!!!! I couldn't hear for hours.

To clarify what I said in my previous post, the interview was on WSRS 96.9 FM last year about this time, with Marjorie-somebody from the Boston Herald who also does a radio call-in show. The reason for the interview was that Tom and some others in the band were starring in some play or something in Boston that featured other Boston area celebrities such as (gack) Mayor Menino, and that ilk.

Tom comes from a very conservative, big $ familiy, who are very Republican, and he says he takes pride in shocking his parents by giving to gun control and to Ted Kennedy's campaign, and that yes, the band is in on this stuff, too. Sad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The Cult is one of the most under-rated almost underground bands, they sold out 7 nights straight at a club in LA, there roots go back to the days of british punk, and they have rocked on since then and also incorporated spirituality into some of there music.

I HATE IT when people say "the band was better when they were on drugs and they should go back on drugs"
this pisses me off to no end, during aerosmiths hieght of drug use they were broken up and rock bottom making ZERO music, if they went back on drugs or stayed on them they would be DEAD. and so would a LOT of other rockers.
drugs does not produce good fast hard rockin quality music, attitude and youth does. when the hard rock bands start to hit 30 maturity sets in, they REFINE there music, and realize they dont have to melt the guitar strings in every song to produce good music.

aerosmith members are like 50-something FREAKIN YEARS OLD, of course they are not going to kick ass like a 20yo rocker. different attitude, state of mind, and exprience.

instead of bitching about these guys not rockin like they used to, and making clear headed sober music, just be DAMN glad they arent dead from an over-dose.

[b]IMAGINE THE MUSIC WE WOULD HAVE TODAY IF JIMI HENDRIX, JANIS JOPLIN, JIM MORRISON HAD ALL SOBERED UP[/b]

steven tyler and joe perry live in new hampshire so they can OWN CLASS 3 WEAPONS, and go pig hunting with ted nugent (read his book)
dont know what the other members do regarding the gun control issues.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Well . . . I didn't exactly say they should go back on drugs!  All I said is that they were *better* then.

Their earlier albums rocked, then starting with Draw the Line the quality went down, then they broke up and Tyler, Hammond and Kramer hired two new guitar dudes and put out two crummy albums, then they cleaned up, got Whitford and Perry back and put out "Permanent Vacation."  Which is a good record, but it is not in the same league as "Toys in the Attic" for example.  All their stuff recently has been "product" as opposed to from the heart rock and roll and they often have to call in songwriters to help them out.  The OLD Aerosmith didn't have to do that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Saw them both this summer but not together.

The Cult rocks but only on CD.  This was the 2nd time I have seen them and both times they sucked.  This latest time they played at a new theater that I have seen probbly a dozen shows at.  They had terrible sound and this venue was built for sound.  I will never give them another dime.

Aeromsith was outside at an ampitheater in the pouring rain.  They couldn't use the 2nd stage which was set up out in the lawn area.  Awesome show but they didn't play Dude looks like a lady. Had plenty of beers to make standing in the rain more enjoyable though.

You will have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top