Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 1:35:06 PM EDT
I just got a 24" Stnls HBAR AR-

I want to glass it- but I don't want any overkill. What would you say is the maximum practical magnifacation for a 24" 1 in 8 Tw. AR15?

Be real. I understand 40X has it's advantages, but I want to keep it real.

What do you guys use on your 24" AR's?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a little chinese boy mounted on mine with a really good set of eyes to tell me which way shoot.
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two long barreled AR's and have used two types of glass on them. On my 24" krieger 1in8 i use a leupold Mark IV X10 and it works great with a ballistic cam made for my normal round for this rifle. My 26" krieger barreled 1in7 has a NXS Lightforce variable 6.5(I think)to 22 and i have found this to be pretty good set up but a little too heavy. I like both.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
When I get a 24" upper flattop, I'll probably get something in about a 6-24x50mm.  I like actually being able to SEE my holes at 200 yards.  Had an 8-32x40 on a rifle.. was good, but the 40mm obj was kinda dim in anything but bright daylight.

[sniper]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
6.5-20x Leupold Long Range sits atop my accurized AR15, it's great for sitting at the bench shooting groups and not needing a spotting scope to spot your hits or measure group size.   I can also watch my bullets impacting at 500 yards as I chip the paint off the steel, nice thing about my AR15 is that it's so rock solid and recoiless that I can spot the hits no matter what the magnification or the distance.

It's also a great magnification for varminting, often times a ground squirrel at 300-400 yards is real hard to see even when the magnification is bumped to 20x.   Spotting the things with a lower magnification is only more difficult.

Since it's a variable power I can if neccesary go down to a lower power but rarely do I go below 10-12x and usually I only go down to that magnification for scanning or because of mirage.

Scope magnification is more dependant on your personal preferrences and what type of shooting you'll be doing.    I'm more of a magnification freak though, even my AR10 has a 6-24x Bausch&Lomb on it that sees double duty as a backup varmint scope or benchrest scope.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
6x24-50mm.  Too much for my tastes.  (this is before I got a 1 piece Armalite mount, which drops it down lower)

[img]http://members.home.net/paulbritton/gunsar15_files/image021.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatcha gonna use it for? If just for range use and messin around 10x-12x might do. If your gonna varmint hunt then maybe a 6-24 range so you can change with conditions and mirage. I find a variable is much more usefull on an AR cause I use mine for different things. Coyotes usually leave it set on 6x. Prairie dogs can use 10x or more depending on conditions. One of mine has a 3.5x10 and, another a 4.5x14 and a T10. My messing around one has an old Weaver KT6. A lotta power takes practice if you just want to shoot shit off hand sometimes at closer ranges. Thats why the variables are useful to me anyway. Plus if I want to go coyote huntin with a different one I just dial it where I want.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
8-32x, 44mm

On my AR-10TLW. Works nice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I amused myself for a long time shooting it with just the iron sights.  Later got around to mounting one of those 3-9x variables off a Colt Delta that I acquired in a trade.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a less than stellar photo set of the V-MATCH 24 with a NIKON 6.5-20X44 AO Matte/4 "Sunshade in Weaver low matte rings on the B-SQUARE mount with a B-SQUARE bubble level.
The NIKON is a superb scope.

I'm thinking of changing the scope to the Leupold Tactical Mil-Dot 4.5-14x40 with 6" Sunshade and mounting it in Kwik-Site low matte rings.
The idea behind the change in scopes is that I'll be getting the post-ban lower for the V-MATCH 24 and trying to keep it as light weight as possible.  No extra stuff on board, keeping it strictly a target style shooter---gun and scope.  It's not a match rifle, but, it's more accurate than the Dissipator, as it should be.

The NIKON is too "nice" for the more austere look I'm going for on the V-MATCH 24, and will be placed on my Browning BAR 7mm instead.  The BAR will be the longer distance rifle anyway.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/sS/QJ/4K/e128100.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Busmaster- Lemme ask ya-
Do those Chinese AR drums seriously work?!?!

I have heard they are total junk... all the way up to they work fine/

What has your expierence been with them>?
I was thinking about getting one, and converting it to an AK mag to feed 5.45, but I may leave it AR if it serioulsy works.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
re: Chinese 120-rd. drums...

Man, I don't know!!!  Yet.
I've not loaded it.  I plan to decipher the instruction sheet soon and find out.  It's printed in [b]INGRISH[/b].
I've been told they're crap; make good targets; etc.
I've heard they work.  Just have to load it and find out...
Glad I got one when I could, though.  Makes for fun photos.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Tasco 10x42 Super Sniper (good scope, stupid name) - basically a Mark IV ripoff for $299 from [url]http://www.swfa.com[/url].  Old style Armalite ring/mount unit, the one with four screws per ring, not the new POS that only has two screw per ring (stupid, stupid idea, Armalite)

shooter
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#14]
The BSA Platinum 6-24 x 50 AO is a great scope for the money.  I had one mounted on my 24" before I sold it.  It had the thin wire recticle with the dot center.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top