Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 12:58:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The Marine Corps uses two differant types the 250 (they don't work well at all) and one called the ISR (intra-squad radio).  
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank God, I thought the Army or related folks would never catch up with the rest of the world. The PRC series sucked a duck. Huge and heavy batteries, effective range less than a decent civi radio, aboot the size  of a thick and heavy briefcase.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The ISR and TB 250 are used for local comm within a unit.  To talk outside of a unit you still use standard tactical comm, the PRC-119 and PRC-119F/ASIPS provide much more range, a systemized RT approach and the ability to do freq agile/crypto communications.  The ASIP is about the about the size of 3-4 BA 5590 stacked on end and weighes a lot less than older tactical radios.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Believe me, they have secure commo when they need it. The latest SINCGARS style radios not only jump freq's constanly (sort of like trunking, but faster, and it works while transmitting), they're also are encrypted. Its a pain to get a unit set up and running with them because all the radios must be in sync, but once all are "in", its very secure, and has good range to boot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
We use talkabouts for non-secure communication needs frequently during drill weekends. The only other option is to equip everyone with manpacks that  seem to weigh a ton.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Hollywood it not really that hard to get the net going with PRC-119 RT as long as you have the CYZ-10 with common fills.  The time is an issue, with all the PLGRs out there that should not be an issue either also when the Freq hop master keys, all the sets on the net are automatically update for time also.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I am in a Guard unit. I bought two so that I can communicate with my supervisor while we worked in different areas within the perimeter of our base.  With no phones and a shortage of walkie talkies it is a quick way to get more work done.  If you are smart you observe COMSEC procedures and understand "they " are listening.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, you'll have to bear with me. It has been a while since I was in the Army, and when I was it was with Infantry....so trust me, it was hard to get everyone on!

Your right though, if everyone knows what they are doing its not to bad and they are light years ahead of the PRC series. I was lucky enough to be assigned to 1st Cav when they were testing them before signing the contract....they tried everything they had to jam us up (including a certain black C130 with many antenna sticking out of it) and nothing ever touched it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a picture I took at my local airfield

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/IK/VX/p0/wQ61550.jpg[/img]

Is that what that orange thing is?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top