Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 11:01:49 AM EDT
Since alot of people on here have post bans, and can't have a FH, what about using Mil Spec ammo (M855 or M193) that have flash inhibitors with say a bare muzzle or with a brake, is it still a huge ball of flash coming out? As opposed to using regular commercial 223? I've never shot at night so I am wondering if the FH works only with the Mil Spec stuff or will it still eliminate the flash with the 223 stuff? Thanks aheads of time guys!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never really noticed a real big flash on any of my non fs-rifles. I think that muzzle flash only factors in when shooting full auto or if your barrel is less than 11". My .44 Desert Eagle on the other hand is a mini flame thrower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot M193 (Israeli Winchester Q3131A) almost exclusively from my post-ban Bushmaster.  Although it has a flash inhibitor in the mix, this load produces a very bright and apparent flash.  I haven't seen this as a problem as I have not seen the need to shoot at night.  I believe that the flash inhibitor is intended to work hand-in-hand with the flash hider device installed on truly mil-spec weapons.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a sworn beleiver that alot of flash signature has to do with ammo selection. I have a post-ban M4, and with M855, Q3131, 3131A, and South-African ammo it only makes a softball-sized flame at night, whereas PMC and Wolf leave a bright orange pumpkin on the end.

I have fired this rifle many times at night, and with a night vision scope and higher-quality ammo, I've never had a problem with the flash causing the intensifier to shut down.

I can't say the same about the cheaper stuff, thoough.

havoc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top