Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2001 5:30:13 AM EDT
God, how I feel sorry for those of you who live in California...........
Berkeley city council condemns U.S. bombing
By GREG CANNON
Contra Costa (Calif.) Times

BERKELEY (Updated 6:07 p.m. EDT Oct. 17) — The City Council on Tuesday night approved a sprawling and controversial resolution honoring victims of terrorism while condemning the U.S. response to those deaths.

The council voted mostly along its traditional 5-4 party lines. For a council that rarely agrees, it was particularly divisive.

Several Berkeley residents and students spoke on the resolution, most in support of it.

"This is not going to get rid of terrorism," Rosalyn Fay, a 27-year-old Berkeley resident, said of the bombing. "There are literally millions of people in this world who hate the U.S., not because it's free, not because it's wealthy, because of its foreign policy."

But a flag-waving minority made their views known, too. "This is not Vietnam. This is not a criminal act. This is an act of war," said Kelso Barnett of the Berkeley Conservative Foundation, a UC Berkeley student group.

Responding to local and nationwide controversy touched off by the resolution last week, Councilwoman Dona Spring broadened the resolution's language to praise the heroism of police and firefighters responding to the Sept. 11 attacks. But its main intent was still to stop the bombing.

"We have a chance to show that great powers of the world can fight on lines of their choosing," Spring said.

At the same time, Councilman Kriss Worthington pushed hard for the language condemning the terrorist attacks.

"I think it's important that the Berkeley City Council goes on record condemning a terrorist attack," Worthington said. "If Berkeley is going to oppose the bombing then we should also condemn the terrorist attacks themselves."

The resolution surfaced at last week's council meeting, two days after the United States and Britain began military strikes against the Taliban and the terrorist networks leaders say are sheltered by it.

Spring sought to introduce the resolution as an emergency matter but was rebuffed by the council's moderate minority. However, it won enough votes to pass as a regular agenda item.

The resolution caused a national stir when an article about it in the UC Berkeley newspaper, The Daily Californian, was featured on an opinion and editorial Web site of The Wall Street Journal. Scores of mostly critical e-mails and phone calls from across the country followed.

Spring said the article misquoted her as saying the United States is a terrorist country in the eyes of the Taliban. The Daily Cal's editor said the paper stands by the story.

The resolution also drew sharp criticism from the council's four moderate members who, led by Mayor Shirley Dean, issued a statement criticizing the nature and timing of Spring's resolution.

Spring's resolution also calls for dealing with global poverty and reducing the U.S. reliance on oil.

Reach Greg Cannon at 510-262-2713 or [email protected]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Useless government action of the day, since when do a bunch of bean turd eaters in Berkeley dictate the usage of armed forces?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
FUCK THE PRK LETS FIRE A FEW CRUISE MISSILES AT SOME SLECT TARGETS!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw this councilwoman on the O'Reilly hour a couple nights ago on FOX. Bill O'Reilly ripped her a freakin' new one. Then he cut her off and wouldn't let her finish.

If you plan to bitch and whine about the US response to terrorism in the form of bombing, I'd like to hear your solution. This bee-ahhhtch couldn't list one alternative other than sending in an international police force composed of coalition countries to apprehend Bin Laden. For some reason she argued with O'Reilly after he said a UN police force would be decimated. Duh! Has she not heard of Somalia? It was somewhat similar...what an idiot.

I never liked Berkeley anyways...bunch of liberal f_cks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
God, how I feel sorry for those of you who live in California...........
View Quote

Don't feel sorry for us for that.  Here in Kali everyone outside of Berkeley is laughing at these jack offs.  Anyone whos ever been there considers Berkeley the arm pit of the east bay. It seems the rest of the world takes them more seriously that we do.  All I got to say is why would anyone want to touch a turd?  Don't give them the attention they crave.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I am telling the CIA that there is a Chinese Embassy in Berekly that they can bomb.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I've heard they really hate being called, Bezerkeley.
I ideas come to mind?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I got into UC there and then before picking any classes chose a school and a city nearby with more sane people.

How would you like to be a 'cop' there?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FUCK THE PRK LETS FIRE A FEW CRUISE MISSILES AT SOME SLECT TARGETS!!
View Quote

Berkeley is less than 30 road miles away from my house.

I couldn't agree more.

COMMENCE FIRING!

Just don't use any nukes, please.

Berkeley is a nuclear free zone.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Fucking hippies... God I hate the hippies in berkley... always protesting.. licking eachothers vaginas.. smoking pot...

I wish I had a box of hand grenades next time I see another protest.

Why can't the terrorists lace some LSD with Anthrax and sell it to the hippies in San Francisco and Berkley? Now THAT would be funny as fuck!!

"heeey man.. trippy.. like.. wow man like... ::cough:: :::cough:::: whoa... I'm coughing up blood man!"
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is how I see it,

If these liberal jokers in Berkeley are against the war on terrorism then they must be in support or terrorism.

It is just that simple. By doing nothing to stop these people (if we can call them people) the Berkeley City Council is saying that it is ok to terrorize, kill, and mame members of society and the world. If you are not aligned with the war on terrorism than you are considered to be hostile and a supporter of terrorism, just as the President has suggested.

I think it was Orson Wells who originally wrote at the onset of WWII that if you were not willing to denounce and fight facism, then you were indeed sympathetic to their cause.  In this case, what the Berkely City Council has done is to tell the terrorists that although we condone your acts of terror and violence, it is OK and we are not going to do anything, so fire away!

This type of stuff makes me sick to my stomach. These people should be taken out of office and charged with treason.!

AR-Collector
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The offical (no kidding) City Policy of Berkeley has been cowardice at all costs for a long time.

Any lawyers here?
Berkeley and Local 535, 93 LA 1161, CSMCS 88 1 630 (1989).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top