Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 10:12:31 PM EDT
Are there any civilian smoke grenades out there? If so where can they be bought?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The only smoke grenades I have ever seen are the 37mm and 12guage type. Try [url]http://37mm.com/[/url] for info on the 37mm and try [url]wwww.shotgunnews.com[/url] for the others.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, you can still buy military surplus smoke grenades if you wanna spend $35 apiece for them.  I saw some in a catalog here awhile back, Shomer-tec maybe?  Can't remember now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The grenade ones (surplus) are very expensive.  I've seen some semi-cheap ones which have a pull string.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saw some in a catalog here awhile back, Shomer-tec maybe?
View Quote

Yea Shomer Tec sells some, very expensive though.  Has anyone ever ordered from them?

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Roll your own recipes for white or black smoke are in TM 31-210.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but good luck coming up with all the ingredients needed for the smokers listed in TM31-210.  Superior Smoke and Signal company sells testing smoke devices, from 15 seconds duration on up.  You can attach M-1 or M-60 pull ring fuse igniters on these and they work just fine.  If you can't get the fuse igniters, you can make them, as instructed in TM31-201, or use your own ingenuity.

Also, for smokes, it's not too difficult to re-arm surplus dummy grenade heads, but NEVER use improvised re-fills for anything explosive, as they certainly aren't trustworthy.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Check these out. I've used both Mil-surp and these. These are not quite as long burning, but easier to handle.BP
[url]www.paragear.com/strobes/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, one more thing.  An ABC dry-chemical fire extinguisher makes absolutely DENSE clouds of dust that is an effective screening agent.  

You can unscrew the tops when they are empty, clean them out, refill them with the chemical of your choice (say...cheyenne pepper dust) and re-pressurize them with an air compressor.  Then voila'  GIANT pepper spray.

I've "heard of" people also building improvised flamethrowers out of fire extinguishers.  These can be effective up to 40' with the froper fuel and compression.  Again, know what you're doing, or you're going to wind up a crispy critter.  Improvised weaponry is no pastime for
idiots.  (Or, it may be argued that those who make it a pastime are by default, idiots, depending on your point of view)

In any case, if you don't want to end up in the Darwin Awards, think before you act!

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw some in a catalog here awhile back, Shomer-tec maybe?
View Quote

Yea Shomer Tec sells some, very expensive though.  Has anyone ever ordered from them?

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
View Quote

No, But I remember seeing their ad. for "very rare" "U.S. military M-16 magazines", new in wrap for $99.00" What a deal!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, but good luck coming up with all the ingredients needed for the smokers listed in TM31-210.
View Quote

S (fertilizer etc - it's not exactly rare, being an element and all)
KNO3 (use a special low water usage toilet [ie pail] for a while; extraction covered in same TM)
black powder (dunno where one might get this)
Al (AR15 [;)] )
CCl4 (might be difficult; may be replaced with another volatile organic solvent)
and some other ridiculously household implements like sticks, window screen and newpaper.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Civilian Smoke Grenades?
View Quote

Sorry, I don't smoke....and if I do, I only smoke weeds, stiff, or joint....and I don't do grenades.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top