Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 6:44:50 PM EDT
Enterprise blew it tonight.

- the Klingons are WAY more powerful than us, and have multiple ships.  Why don't they just conquer us?

- the Klingons are seem as powerful than the Vulcans.  Why don't they just conquer them?

- the Klingons took the holodeck technology - yet holotechnology doesn't exist until Star Trek: Next Generation

- the Klingons would have taken the cloaking technology, which would explain why they have it in Kirk's time

- the Klingons don't seem to respect or fear the Vulcans.  So why don't they invade Vulcan or Earth?  Why do they allow us to create the powerful Star Fleet?

- why didn't Capt Archer get the cloaking or holo technology from the aliens?

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Enterprise blew it tonight.

- the Klingons are WAY more powerful than us, and have multiple ships.  Why don't they just conquer us?
View Quote

Why don't you conquer the ants in your garden? YOU ARE WAY MORE POWERFUL THAN THEM!  They don't even have cars!

- the Klingons are seem as powerful than the Vulcans.  Why don't they just conquer them?
View Quote

You base this on a single 2 minute encounter?  

- the Klingons took the holodeck technology - yet holotechnology doesn't exist until Star Trek: Next Generation
View Quote

According to whom?

- the Klingons would have taken the cloaking technology, which would explain why they have it in Kirk's time
View Quote

Would have?  Were you on the ship?  

- the Klingons don't seem to respect or fear the Vulcans.  So why don't they invade Vulcan or Earth?  Why do they allow us to create the powerful Star Fleet?
View Quote

Again, you base this on what?

- why didn't Capt Archer get the cloaking or holo technology from the aliens?
View Quote

Because that isn't his mission?

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Because it's make believe, and it turns out any way the writers choose it to.....:)

Rich
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You ask some probing questions, I wish I could answer you specifically, but my local channel does not show this program till Saturday.

On a more general note, Star Trek in all of it’s iterations has always had the problem of continuity to it’s own universe. The problem is that there was never a unifying story arc.

Instead of trying to define a story arc and commending on how it provides much needed continuity and credibility to a series, I will just say two words.[b] “Babylon 5" [/b][^]

What you have instead is a ‘writer’s guide’ or ‘bible’ that is skimmed by prospective screen play authors before and during story submission. All episodes conform loosely to the universe, but no-one is under constraint to follow the ‘rules’ closely.

And then you have authors with a particular axe to grind, and that is how you get ‘save the whales’ episodes, PC episodes, ‘diversity’ and all the other forms of ‘preachy’ episode. [:|]

In conclusion, Star Trek is it’s many forms has [i]always [/I] been sci-fi pabulum. Turn yer mind off and watch it for the entertainment value. After all, if you wanted [i]Good Sci-Fi [/I] TV you’d drag out your Babylon 5 tapes! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Well the Klingons certainly had the chance to stop us before we became a threat.

Babylon 5 is a far better series.

The Klingons WOULD have taken the cloaking over the holo technology.  There were other ST episodes where the Klingons didn't care about anything but weaponry.

If the Klingons respected or feared the Vulcans, our hot little science officer wouldn't have had to talk the Klingon Commander into compliance, an implied threat would have sufficed.  Yes, I do base it on the 2 minute encounter.

I would expect the Vulcans to be more like the Minbari on Babylon 5.  A superior race that others feared to mess with, or at least respected enough to avoid.  That would protect Vulcan and Earth, much like the Asgard threat protects the Earth from the Gould (sp?) on Stargate SG1.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Babylon 5 is a far better series.

If the Klingons respected or feared the Vulcans, our hot little science officer wouldn't have had to talk the Klingon Commander into compliance, an implied threat would have sufficed.  Yes, I do base it on the 2 minute encounter.

I would expect the Vulcans to be more like the Minbari on Babylon 5.  A superior race that others feared to mess with, or at least respected enough to avoid.  
View Quote

Very good ideas. Do you read sci-fi also?

P.S. I mean 'hard' sci-fi, not the sword & sorcery fantasy that is choking the bookstore sci-fi aisles today.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I read lot's of hard scifi, love the stuff.  I really like the kind that goes into the physics of things.

A few off the top of my head:

Isaac Asimov
Larry Niven
Robert A. Heinlein
Greg Bear
C.J. Cherryh
Arthur C. Clarke
Joe Haldeman
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read lot's of hard scifi, love the stuff.  I really like the kind that goes into the physics of things.

A few off the top of my head:

Isaac Asimov
Larry Niven
Robert A. Heinlein
Greg Bear
C.J. Cherryh
Arthur C. Clarke
Joe Haldeman
View Quote
Well Buddy, with [i]that [/i] list, you may certainly consider yourself well-read!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder what the Gem-ha-dar were doing?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I'm too cheap to order the dish or cable to get the sci fi channel.  In my area, Fox carries 'Enterprise'.  That's the one of the only sci fi shows that's carried here.  The other two are Andromeda and Earth:Final Conflict (what ever).  

I liked B5, but well...... they dont' show it here on 'free' tv.  I think the use to, years ago.... and it was on Fox.... which doesn't have the best signal.

Don't spoil the next episode.  I thought it had to do w/ something about the engineer, according to the net info?????

OH well...........
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't the cheesy 70s(?) cartoon version of Star Trek show the holodeck?  If so, then that means the holodeck at least existed during Kirk's time.  Oh well, I'm not exactly a Star Trek expert.  Just an observation.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 That would protect Vulcan and Earth, much like the Asgard threat protects the Earth from the G'ould (sp?) on Stargate SG1.
View Quote

Do the Asgards rock or what? What was the quote? Oh yeah, "you gotta love those guys!"
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Well... mayhaps ya'll will like this here one of the 'Star Trek Lost Episodes'...

http://thedbcooper.tripod.com/the_borg_and_ms.htm

Enjoy...  or not...  ;)

db

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually the Federation does have cloaking technology. It was explained in one episode that they entered into a treaty agreement never to use it. Others, in example the Klingons, have no such reservations and do not enter into treaties. Make one sort of think about some of our enemies.
This is probably one the most stupid threads I've ever seen here and I am truly ashamed that I knew enough about this to answer that and foolish enough to post the fact that I did know.

So anyone catch American Shooter Sunday....................
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I kinda like having sex klingon style.  Angry, rough sex.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#16]
If memory serves me correctly, back in the original Star Trek, I seem to recall Kirk stating that the reason for the Prime Directive was because the Federation encountered the Klingons and gave them all sorts of technology, including Warp.  So....   according to the first Star Trek series, Kingons shouldn't be in space at the time of the Enterprise series.  But, hey, I could be wrong
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:03:00 AM EDT
[#17]
And they let people like you own guns?

[size=6][red][b]Be afraid!  Be very, very afraid!!![/size=6][/red][/b]

"Do what you will,
but do we need in depth analysis of a TV show?"
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:10:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I kinda like having sex klingon style.  Angry, rough sex.
View Quote
                                B`lana Torres.............[sex]...[:)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:21:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I like Star Trek,reall I like it alot but this is a lil. f*ed up guys.

You see Star Tek is a GREATY show full of  a bunch of reall cools story lines but it's only on for about an hr. after that it's not cool to still be in you lil Star Trek mode.

People like that are why I could not get in to that Star Trek thing in Las Vegas tp piss! damn it I had to go all the why down to the MGM grand.
You guys suck!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Geeze guys, it's just some comments on the show's logic breakdowns.  Fun to analyze, much like the thread about [b]Band of Brothers[/b]

While I don't really have a life, I'm not a Trekker or Trekkie - never been to a Convention and only own 1 Star Trek book.

SciFi is just fun escapism.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Lets all say it together

IT JUST A SHOW

Frankly, I think the show is some of the best tv aired in a long time.  It is good sci-fi with lots of in-jokes for those of us who grew up on star trek.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it 'exists' now, why can't it 'exist' in the future?

Star Trek has always been full of it, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And they let people like you own guns?

[size=6][red][b]Be afraid!  Be very, very afraid!!![/size=6][/red][/b]

"Do what you will,
but do we need in depth analysis of a TV show?"
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#25]
All I know is that I got really turned on by the idea of having a superfolous 3rd and 4th nipple growing on my wrists.

[:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*][:X*]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#26]
OK... Having been a serious Trekker in a previous life, these are my only observations:

In the Kirk era;
The Klingons were constant competitors with the Federation, always looking for a way to push back the boundries of the neutral zone. They already had warp, but obtained cloaking technology from the Romulins in some kind of swap that (I think) kncluded star drive technology. Kirk's encounter with the Romulins in Balance of Power (a thinly veiled rip-off of The Enemy Below movie) revealed that the Romulins didn't have warp capability.

Also, in Kirk's era, the Klingons looked more like Cubans whose mothers dressed them funny. They certainly didn't have the cranial distortions that were evident in The Next Generation era. In a DS9 episode, Cisco and company went back in time and stoped the destruction of the K-7 star base. The characters fromt DS9 were digitally inserted into old footage from the original series - kinda cool, actually. Someone asks Warf about the appearance of the Klingons. His response was "we do not speak of it." Convenient, if unsatisfying, answer.

My take on the situation is that the writers have become lazy and depend too much on all the cool "toys" that were available in the TNG timeline. When they're stuck for some slick visual effect they just go back to their old stand-by, the hollodeck. I've noticed that some of the technology on Enterprise looks superior to that on the original series - Touch pad controls, for instance.

Yeah, the writers have gotten lazy but as someone else has observed... It's just a TV show.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#27]

[size=6][black][b]I believe the saying is....GET A LIFE!  Now take off your pointy ears, and go on a date.  A real date with a woman.[/size=6][/black][/b]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Geeze, you guys are pathetic....it's just a TV show....  btw I cant believe how damned hot that vulcan chick looked on the first episode, I'd love to rub something on her.......... oh yeah just a tv show... [0:)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I believe the saying is....GET A LIFE! Now take off your pointy ears, and go on a date. A real date with a woman.
View Quote

[size=5]Oh sure, the threads about "how old are you" are FAR more interesting.

[red]Here's a clue - if you don't care about the subject, DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD.[/size=5][/red]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#31]
"Do you wish to copulate?..I won`t hurt you!"...(Seven of nine..terciary adjunct to submatrix001).....[sex]...[whacko]...[stick]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Wasn't it in one of those Star Trek movies that we find that the Klingon Emipre is in decline and has been for several hundred years.  They are infighting so much and cannot accomplish anything.  

"Hey I can see my house from here."

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I believe the saying is....GET A LIFE! Now take off your pointy ears, and go on a date. A real date with a woman.
View Quote

[size=5]Oh sure, the threads about "how old are you" are FAR more interesting.

[red]Here's a clue - if you don't care about the subject, DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD.[/size=5][/red]
View Quote

Fair enough,

Now I put my Spock ears on.  The producers indicated that Enterprise would be an adjunct to the Star Trek Universe.  Realizing that there was no way to reconcile the 1960 Star Trek technology with the prequel, the viewer would have to consider the Enterprise universe without trying to reconcile it with the original series.

I am now removing my ears and putting away my copy of StarLog.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Well... I see we don't have a sense of humor... or at least an appreciation of same...

Oh well...

db
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well... I see we don't have a sense of humor... or at least an appreciation of same...

Oh well...

db
View Quote

The Gakh upset his stomach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top