Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2001 10:11:48 AM EDT
We were banging away on the range with my buddy's Oly M-4.  Got a great muzzle break but will rattle your teeth with the concussion but anyway.  I'm banging away and it no goes bang anymore.  I look at the chamber, see a round part way in but something sticking out of the chamber.

We make it safe and get to looking.  It was the bolt - IT HAD SNAPPED IN HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part of it was still in the chamber and part of it was still inside the bolt carrier.  Can you all believe that?  Been shooting Ar/M-16 for many years and never seen that happen.

It's a relatively new rifle, so he's going to have to box it up and send it off to Oly.  Kinda sucks because this is his SRT rifle, no telling now long he will be without it.

Sorry no pictures guys/gals.  But dang, to have the bolt snap in half.  We were shooting 223 Rem rounds and not even rapid firing.  Can't figure out what would cause this.  BTW, tried to push it out of the chamber with a cleaning rod but no go.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I only saw this one other time...

Had to turn the bolt with needle nose vice grips.(to the left...)
The extractor had broken off @ the extractor pin hole, and jammed the bolt. The bolt would not turn to the right to unlock.

Eventually I got the bolt out, and had to replace the entire bolt carrier assembly, and the barrel extension.

The barrel was fine.

Lew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top