Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2001 9:59:56 AM EDT
I just bought an HK USP-Compact in .45.  I really like it.  Does anyone else care for this firearm or have anything critical or instructive to say about it.  I too am a veteran from the old boards and am trying to increase my status to regular member.

As for the gun it replaced a P-12 in .45.  Free advice, don't get one, like most 1911 styles you'll have to customize the hell out of it to get it working.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
What was wrong with your P12?

Was it the limited model?
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have got the HK USP compact in .40 and I have no problems with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I own and carry a USP .45ACP Compact also. So far, I have put about 900 rounds (about half of those were hollowpoints from various manufacturers) through it so far with no failures whatsoever. I want to get some Ashley Express tritium sights for mine because I do prefer nightsights. When it comes to quality and reliability, it's hard to go wrong with German handguns.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine.Carried cocked and locked,the double action stinks.Im left handed and like how easy it was to change the saftey.
I have about 350 rounds through mine,no problems.I did pick up a expert(?) model one time and the single action was almost as good as a tuned 1911.Almost as good but not quite.

I think 1911's get a bad rap from some people because there like some AR15's there crap stuck together by some self procliamed expert,or by a manufactor who could care less about quality.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry my USPC .45 every day and absolutely love it!  I've got well over 500 rounds through it and no problems.  I like the extended floorplate magazines better than the flush ones, but the flush ones seem to conceal better.  Get a good quality holster - I need to upgrade my IWB in a BAD way.  Currently I'm using a kydex IWB and it seems like it's causing increase wear marks on the finish.  Can't have that.  I'm thinking leather would be better.  Anybody else notice this?
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
3000+ rounds.  Not one single problem ever.  Not a misfeed, not a misfire, not a stove pipe, nothing.  My off duty carry gun.  Bit large but I know it works.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always wanted an HK because of their quality but have not bought one because they don't fit my hand...cannot operate magazine release without changing my grip.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
300 rounds in mine (230 gr. ball and 185 gr. Golden Saber +P). No problems so far.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a USP 40 full size with a custom laser sight & a USP Compact 45.  I carry the Compact 45 due to its small size, yet it still has that legendary 45 stopping power.  I have never really liked 1911's, they seem like an outdated design when compared to modern manufacturing techniques and materials.   Like HK says, "There is no substitute"
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the USP Compact 45, and I love it. I own Walthers, SIG's, HK's, Glocks and Steyr pistols. None are any better than my compact USP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother had one in .45 in stainless. He picked it up for $500 used when they had first come out. Nice piece, but he had some real problems with it. After a session of about 150 rounds, the front site fell off. We found it and tried to reinstall it, but it was definitly done. Tried to put a set of Enterprise ghost sites on it and discovered that full size USPs and Compact USPs take different sites.
He finallt sold it for $550 at a gun show.
It sure did carry nice though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I had a few problems with the P-12, and the HK had certain advantages over it in my opinion.  Roughly they are as follows:
1) P-12 mag release would engage if you leaned on the gun a certain way; HK design prevents this (I had to shift grip on P-12 as well to engage
2) P-12 was basically unreliable; it was not a limited edition
3) I like being able to carry hammer down, safety off
4) Calibers are the same
5) Similarity to 1911 control style permits continuity of training
6) Decock is a handy feature, and lets you safetly decock
7) Grip safety on 1911 styles is a stupid feature in my opinion, sometimes it won't engage properly and that's a real tactical nightmare
8) Trigger pull is probably inferior to 1911, but like any trigger can be mastered.

My $.02  [:D]
8)
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#13]
A friend had a brand new compact USP .45 - it would discharge a round when de-cocked w/ magazine removed! It was sent to the factory and replaced. You might want to check this out. When a mag was installed it would leave less of a ding on the primer than when removed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't even begin to figure out how that HK fired when decocked.  First of all, the hammer stops in the half-cocked position when decocked.  Secondly, the firing pin safety is engaged as long as the trigger isn't pulled, preventing the pin from coming close to the primer.  Even if the hammer managed to hit the firing pin, the firing pin safety would stop forward motion of the pin through the firing pin hole in the breech face.

There are only 2 possibilities:
- major failures of multiple parts in the gun at the same time (highly unlikely).
- the trigger was depressed. [:O]
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#15]
500+ rounds in mine with no problems. Plus a brand new one in the case I never shot yet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I initially thought my friend had his finger on the trigger myself. I told him to bring the pistol over for an examination. I took some primed brass and loaded the chamber (no mag.),then I de-cocked it with my  finger away from the trigger = bang!  The primer had a small ding in it. With the mag inserted it did not duplicate. Like I said, the factory replaced it!
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an HK USPc45 too and absolutely love it... so does CMOS I think?  

Not one problem yet!  BTW, You ever play TombRaider on PC or Playstation?  The movie comes out this June starring the oh so hot Angelina Jollie!

[img]http://www.hkpro.com/uspmatchcroft2.jpg[/img]  Shoot be a good shoot 'em up flick, the preview look just like the game!

You might also want to check out [url]http://www.hkpro.com[/url] for some interesting info on HK and their guns...

Check this out, its a a link to what the symbols on your HK USP mean:  [url]http://www.hkpro.com/symbols.htm[/url]

M.

Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Warning: Try not to shoot lead un-jacketed bullets in your gun. The special H&K rifling really gums up with lead and you could blow up your chamber. Glock's rifling leads to the same problem.
I love my H&K Tactical .45. It does occasionally have a problem locking closed after some shots. My dealer thinks it is the O-ring, I wonder if my ammo is too weak. Anyone else have this problem? [pistol]
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Angelina should get the lefty version of the safety lever, or carry it with the safety off, wouldn't want her to die early in the movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top