Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 6:30:41 PM EDT
Is there ANYONE here that can answer this???

i've been told by some that even the real bird cage flash hider is legal and could be installed IF it was permanently attached.

i was also told that it would not be worth the ...but why doesn't anyone know...?

Is it black or white?
Where is the law that sais we couldn't install flash hiders on our guns?
I want to see it and read it for myself. Which is legal, which is not?

Is the small brake/hider opening required by law?(i've noticed most "correct" brakes have a small orifice, large enough for the bullet to pass)
Is the large opening banned by law?

Out of all these "experts" who sell thousands of AR related items on here, NOONE knows the actual law?????

ANYONE???
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the BATF.  Any different answer at any different time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The A2 birdcage flash hider is NOT legal on a post ban, period.  No flash hider is legal on a post ban, it can only be a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
U.S. Code, Title 18, section 921:

(30) The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means -

(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the
firearms in any caliber, known as -
  (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
  (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
  (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
  (iv) Colt AR-15;
  (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
  (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
  (vii) Steyr AUG;
  (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
  (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
  (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
action of the weapon;
  (iii) a bayonet mount;
  (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor; and
  (v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
  (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
  (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being
burned;
  (iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
  (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
  (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
  (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
  (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
right...

BUT, what constitutes a FLASH HIDER????????

Where is the law that states a Flash Hider is a Flash Hider BECAUSE.................

WHERE does it say, what a Flash Hider is?
What's the definition of a Flash Hider as compared to a Muzzle Brake?

THAT's my question.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
A flash hider reduces or eliminates the flash, a muzzle brake doesn't.  Why be so argumentive?  They are illegal on a postban.  It also cannot except a rifle launched grenade, so the post ban muzzle devices cannot be less than a certain diameter.  I can't remember where this is all written.  Go to [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/[/url] and do some searches.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
GovtThug copied the correct section of the US Code.  The determination of what constitutes an illegal flash hider and what constitutes a legal muzzle brake ("legal" in so far as post-bans are concerned), is largely at the discretion of BATF.  They get to decide, and their determination has the edge in federal court.  Now, as to how much flash supression is enough to make it a flash supressor as opposed to a muzzle brake, just about any reduction in the flash, however minute, would be enough.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't listen to these guys. Everyone is wrong and you are right. I've seen plenty of guys at the gunshows weld on the A2 flash suppressor/muzzle brake. It is pefectly legal.

*please note the huge sarcastic tone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top