Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2007 4:13:23 AM EDT
I traded a shotgun in on a Glock 21 a couple of months ago.

The glock is still unfired.  I just thought it was time to get a .45 handgun.

I intend to replace my existing nightstand pistol, which is the .40 G24.

Normally I would load it with Winchester Ranger-T ammo,
but I think Winchester came out with a newer more improved "bonded" bullet.

Whats the scoop on that?

Also, this G21 has a picatinny rail.  

Since this gun will not be holstered, I think a weapons light/laser would be a good idea.

I've never even considered using a weapons light before, so I don't know anything
about them.  

Are people switching from xenon to LED?  
Is there an integrated light/laser device?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
We got fuggin grenades......
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I traded a shotgun in on a Glock 21 a couple of months ago.

The glock is still unfired.  I just thought it was time to get a .45 handgun.

I intend to replace my existing nightstand pistol, which is the .40 G24.

Normally I would load it with Winchester Ranger-T ammo,
but I think Winchester came out with a newer more improved "bonded" bullet.

Whats the scoop on that?

Dunno.

Right now I'd stick to loads listed on the recommended duty load list in the ammo forum.

I've never even considered using a weapons light before, so I don't know anything
about them.  

They are the shiznit.

The Surefire X200 is the best on the market...although they are supposed to be releasing a model with an integrated visible laser too, which will be more awesomer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They are the shiznit.

The Surefire X200 is the best on the market...although they are supposed to be releasing a model with an integrated visible laser too, which will be more awesomer.

Google....   oh yeah...

Those are the ones they show hammering nails into a 2x4 in the magazines.

I've been seeing great advances in LED lights.  
Any weapons lights with a 1.5 watt or greater LED?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the x200.  What you have is the Glock 21SF.  Mine shoots like a dream.  I load mine with 230gr Gold Dots.  Also, your Glock will most likely be unable to use old 21 mags.  You must buy new mags or it won't lock into place due to the ambi mag release.

I would also recomend that you get a holster for it.  Comp-tac has a good selection for a G21SF.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+1 on the x200.  What you have is the Glock 21SF.  Mine shoots like a dream.  I load mine with 230gr Gold Dots.  Also, your Glock will most likely be unable to use old 21 mags.  You must buy new mags or it won't lock into place due to the ambi mag release.

I would also recomend that you get a holster for it.  Comp-tac has a good selection for a G21SF.  

I've got a C-T.A.C. for my G20 and the wife's G17.  Love them.

This will be a dedicated nightstand gun.  

I knew about the new magazines.  Even found a website that sells them pretty cheap.

I don't have old mags, as this is my first 45.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If you get a X200, be sure to the B model.

Wider throw.  I got the A.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew about the new magazines.  Even found a website that sells them pretty cheap.

Just letting you know.  I didn't want to see the thread "OMG thought I had a good deal on 10 used Glock mags and they don't fit!"

Still a good idea to get a holster.  You need to keep that trigger protected even if it is on the nightstand IMHO.........
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a G21...  I have a XD45 with a TLR-1 mounted on it and it's pretty dang bright. It's a good alternative if you can't afford or don't want to spend a lot of money on a light.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Still a good idea to get a holster.  You need to keep that trigger protected even if it is on the nightstand IMHO.........

Good point.  

Typically the gun on the nightstand has the slide locked back.

I don't know if that is considered "bad form" or not.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is there an integrated light/laser device?

Thanks

On my G17, I have a Glock GTL 21 tactical light that has an integrated laser. It has a Xenon bulb.

Pretty slick and is a good fit to the pistol.

There is a 22 model, but I think the only differnence is that the light is dimmable.

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just letting you know.  I didn't want to see the thread "OMG thought I had a good deal on 10 used Glock mags and they don't fit!"

Being in NY I can only have pre-ban hicaps, is there a way to retrofit the old 21 mags to fit?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Being in NY I can only have pre-ban hicaps, is there a way to retrofit the old 21 mags to fit?
Possibly with some drimmel work.  The problem is you will have some mags that will fit too loose, others will be too stiff.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly with some drimmel work.  The problem is you will have some mags that will fit too loose, others will be too stiff.  

Not something I would want my life to depend on.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not something I would want my life to depend on.
Me either.  We are only talking about loosing 3 rounds of capacity.  Better to have reliable mags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
+1 on the x200.  What you have is the Glock 21SF.  

VHS, just curious do you know the poster?  if not how do you know that he has a SF?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#16]

This Glock 21 is the C model it has the cuts in the frame for the compensator.  I bought the C model so the frame would be lighter for an extended barrel.

This pistol has an olympic arms match grade barrel the best barrel I have ever seen.
The pistol with the extended barrel weighs the same as the standard glock.

The pistol has an extended slide stop, extended mag release, Glock light, (Glock makes a laser light combo that is superb.) lightest trigger,and tritium night sights.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on the x200.  What you have is the Glock 21SF.  

VHS, just curious do you know the poster?  if not how do you know that he has a SF?

Because it is the only model Glock that has a picatinny rail.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The 21SF is the only current Glock model with the picatinny rail.

Picatinny railed Glock 21SF:

Standard Glock 21:

See the difference?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.lcaction.com/items/it_g21sf-3.jpg

Standard Glock 21:

www.impactguns.com/store/media/glock_21c.jpg
See the difference?
Whats the point of the picatinny rail.  Is there some light that will only fit that rail.  Because every light I have seen fits the standard glock rail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Whats the point of the picatinny rail.  Is there some light that will only fit that rail.  Because every light I have seen fits the standard glock rail.

Same here. Every good light on the market will fit the standard Glock rail.

Future lights and accessories might not be that way, so it's not a bad idea to have.

The 21SF also has an improved grip that I much prefer to the standard 21.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Standard Glock 21:

See the difference?
It is one of the specs. the military is requiring for a new service pistol.  Also some lights will fit the rail that won't fit the Glock.  Better to standardize don't you think?  Also there are other changes to the 21 that the 21SF has.  Ambi safety and a completely different grip angle as well as a grip that is much less bulky than the standard 21.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Standard Glock 21:

See the difference?
It is one of the specs. the military is requiring for a new service pistol.  Also some lights will fit the rail that won't fit the Glock.  Better to standardize don't you think?  Also there are other changes to the 21 that the 21SF has.  Ambi safety and a completely different grip angle as well as a grip that is much less bulky than the standard 21.  
The glock SF has an ambi safety? I knew it had an ambi mag release but not the safety where is it located on the SF.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Wellllll, the first thing to know is that it is vastly different than all the other Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The glock SF has an ambi safety? I knew it had an ambi mag release but not the safety where is it located on the SF.

He meant to say mag release.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Standard Glock 21:

See the difference?
Oops  I ment ambi mag release.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is the grip angle about like a standard 17.

Does the ambi mag release give you any problems?  I tried one another glock it was pretty slick.  The dealer told me people where haveing problems any info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the ambi mag release give you any problems?  I tried one another glock it was pretty slick.  The dealer told me people where haveing problems any info.
Grip angle is different than a G17 and I have been carrying my G21SF religiously now since March and sent thousands or found down range no problems at all, zip zero nada.  It is scary accurate to boot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grip angle is different than a G17 and I have been carrying my G21SF religiously now since March and sent thousands or found down range no problems at all, zip zero nada.  It is scary accurate to boot.
Little bigger than a 17 but much smaller than a standard 21?  I am looking for a 21 for my girl she can't grip the standard 21 because of the huge grip (fits my big paws like a glove though) do you think this is a good grip for a woman with small hands.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

does the mag release get in the way of your dominant hand.  Never seen a glock that wasn't scary accurate.  My match barrel on my 21 is the most accurate of all my pistols.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Little bigger than a 17 but much smaller than a standard 21?  I am looking for a 21 for my girl she can't grip the standard 21 because of the huge grip (fits my big paws like a glove though) do you think this is a good grip for a woman with small hands.

The grip of the 21SF is MUCH more small-shooter friendly than the standard G21.

Grip feel is a subjective thing, so I would get her to handle one first to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:do you think this is a good grip for a woman with small hands.
Probably not.  I have had two different women shoot it, neither could get a good grip on it and as a result they couldn't hit anything worth a shit.  The grip is much better, but it is still a beefy grip.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:does the mag release get in the way of your dominant hand.  
No
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I touch my G21...when I think about it...

sexual plastic
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#34]
My dad just got a 21SF with the standard Glock rail. I will admit, it is a sexy beast. I'm considering a .45 and it will be hard not to get one just like his.

As said above, the Surefire X200 is a good light, but if you want to save a little $ the Streamlight TLR-1 can be had for like $105ish shipped to your door. I'm considering buying one of those as well. Are we seeing a pattern here?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#35]
So when are you going to give us a range report?  I also think there is some law in arfcom bilaws that says that you have to revoke your membership if it takes you more than 2 months to fire a new gun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Surefire X200b has a 5 watt LED.  

Yes it do:

It's a fantastic weapon light. The best pistol light I have ever used. Plenty bright enough for any indoor application and for outdoors up to about 25 yards.

And if you have to have a plastic firearm, the one pictured is far better than any stinky old Glock.

....plus you won't develop Glock licker syndrome and start talking about your "sexual plastic"......

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So when are you going to give us a range report?  I also think there is some law in arfcom bilaws that says that you have to revoke your membership if it takes you more than 2 months to fire a new gun.

Crap.  Where do I turn in my man card.

I was just happy to get rid of that shotgun.  It was a bruiser.

The G21SF only cost about $200 out of my pocket.
Their asking price was $589, which is outrageous,  
(same price they charge for any large frame glock)
but then they gave me more in trade than I expected.
So it all worked out okay.

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Surefire X200b has a 5 watt LED.  

Yes it do:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0155.jpg?t=1187364691

It's a fantastic weapon light. The best pistol light I have ever used. Plenty bright enough for any indoor application and for outdoors up to about 25 yards.

And if you have to have a plastic firearm, the one pictured is far better than any stinky old Glock.

....plus you won't develop Glock licker syndrome and start talking about your "sexual plastic"......

Have you built a deck using the X200 as a hammer?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crap.  Where do I turn in my man card.

I was just happy to get rid of that shotgun.  It was a bruiser.

The G21SF only cost about $200 out of my pocket.
Their asking price was $589, which is outrageous,  
(same price they charge for any large frame glock)
but then they gave me more in trade than I expected.
So it all worked out okay.

I paid $570 total for mine.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Nope. I'll stick to more traditional forms of abuse:

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Pictured M&P -

Base cost: 395.00, NIB
Burwell Trigger Job: 50.00
Surefire X200B: 200.00

Winner - JW777.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0161.jpg?t=1187365271

Why did you cover your light with graphite?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pictured M&P -

Base cost: 395.00, NIB
Burwell Trigger Job: 50.00
Surefire X200B: 200.00

Winner - JW777.
I wanted a .45  Next pistol will be a .40cal M&P
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I wanted it to have that really cool "used" look to go with my Blackwater T-shirt, so I got a bunch of mechanical pencil lead and went to town!
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0161.jpg?t=1187365271

No kidding.  

I might have to consider using a 6" aftermarket barrel.

Too bad those aftermarket slides aren't still available.

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Its a good thing I've got the parental controls on.  Sexual woudn't be able to handle that language.  

You are the second dude to like that M&P over the Glock.  Is it jus the new factor, or is it really better?  What makes it better?    
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/glock.jpg?t=1187365642

YOU...I bet YOU are one of those sick people who would kick my Glock before you kicked that dog!  Jay-dub of the Bee-dub.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You are the second dude to like that M&P over the Glock.  Is it jus the new factor, or is it really better?  What makes it better?    

Personally I find it is really better.

I've owned and carried Glocks in the past, but I always had problems with them.

1. They shred my hands something fierce. I get a nasty case of slide bite from the Glocks when I take an appropriate business-like grip on them. I get nice big train-track style gouges dug into the web of my hand. After a couple of hundred rounds it gets to the point where I almost need stitches. The wounds take about a month to heal.

Still, I'd be willing to live with that if it wasn't for:

2. I've had the opportunity to train with a few different models of handgun side by side, and invariably whenever I used a Glock I would turn in a performance that was below what I could obtain with other weapons. While I can shoot a Glock accurately enough to get the job done, it's a lot more work for me than other designs. I think this is mainly the result of the Glock having a trigger break like a friggin' staple gun.

The M&P has an improved grip design that keeps my delicate flesh from being ground to hamburger by the slide and a trigger that breaks better making it easier to shoot. After the Burwell trigger job the trigger isn't even in the same league with the Glock any more.

I can shoot the pictured M&P as quickly and accurately as I can my 1911...and that only after a couple of thousand rounds compared to the custom 1911 I have taken through multiple training courses.

This is 5 magazines through the M&P as fast as I could get a sight picture (and in the case of the flyers, faster than I could get a decent sight picture) at about 12 yards:

There's a 7.62x39 round to give you an idea of the size.

With a Glock it would look more like a load of birdshot from 25 yards using a cylinder bore.

I've found lots of other folks who have been Glock fans for years that are trading in for the M&Ps because they are easier to shoot.

Personally I'm out for performance...I want a weapon that will let me put a bullet where I want one as quickly and fuss-free as possible. In my hands, the Glock has never stacked up to other service quality handguns. That's just my personal experience, but there are a number of other guys who have come to more or less the same conclusion who are much better and more experienced than little 'ol me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top