Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 9:40:50 PM EDT
I got to watch one of these aircraft flying around the area today on what I assumed was a pot spotting mission:

OH-58 Kiowa

The Kiowas I'm sure are nice little choppers. But I miss the Hueys that the Kentucky National Guard use to fly when hunting weed in the 80's and 90's. I remember I use to ride around from area to area and watch them as they went about their task. I just loved the sound that chopper made. It was as if it had character about it. It wasn't just a hunk of metal with a spinning blade on top like most helicopters.

But I haven't seen any Hueys in use now for a number of years, just the little Kiowas. I'm sure they are cheaper to operate and require less maintenance than the old Huey was, but they just don't have the same effect on me. As such, marijuana season just isn't what it use to be, when I'd often be treated to a free low flying airshow by my favorite all-time whirly bird, the Huey. Now all I get is this military version of the Bell 206. Ughhhh.

Any other Huey lovers here?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
IBWM97
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What a waste of gas.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What a waste of gas.

And taxpayer money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta love the Huey...  I focking hate those Bells.  Something about them just doesn't appeal to me...

Flying you say?  Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission  they're so ugly the Earth repels them.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gotta love the Huey...  I focking hate those Bells.  Something about them just doesn't appeal to me...

Perhaps it's because the 206's don't look like this?

Now that's what a manly helicopter is suppose to look like!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
i have to agree.  huey > kiowa

but i'd say the blackhawk is just a little bit cooler (looking) than both
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
They still use them in the missile fields up in these parts. Nothing like hanging out at the shooting range, and seeing a huey pop up over the horizon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Your sentence doesn't make sense, as Bell makes the Huey.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Since the Army trained me to fly Kiowas, I'll always have a spot in my heart for them.

Oh, mother Rucker, how I loved ye!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gotta love the Huey...  I focking hate those new Bells.  Something about them just doesn't appeal to me...

Your sentence doesn't make sense, as Bell makes the Huey.

The Huey(or anything like it)isn't still in production is it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Why, yes, yes it is. And I am glad, as it is my favorite helicopter.

Check out the retro fits here.

And the Marine upgrades here.

Not really new, but at least they will be around for a long time to come.

Here is the new Huey you can still purchase, the Model 412

ETA:  Here is the still available as new UH-1H which I guess is the model 210 now, always remember it as the 205 for some reason, maybe that was the 'D' model.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a nice Huey video I found on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfiB_qQtBM

Glad to see that some of them are still in use.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I got your Hueys... right here.
Assume Attack Formation...

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Best Helo Ever!

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a Huey fly over my office today. It is the first I've seen in quite a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top