Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 4:55:07 PM EDT
In Rutherford County, NC is $5

.....and a 2 page "request form" (most of it is lifted directly from a BATFE form 4187... i.e. "Have you ever renounced citizenship...")

You see, North Carolina has an unConstitutional Jim Crow-era law that requires anyone purchasing a handgun (from a gunstore, gunshow, neighbor, et al) to get a "Handgun Permit."

Just what makes this "permit" to be able to exercise a Constitutional Right so special?

It can be denied for any reason or no reason.    It's basically a background check and a "Yeah, I like you." from the Sheriff.

They check you for felonies and domestic violence charges and then the Sheriff personally determines if you're "Of good moral standing" in the community.

And if you're lucky enough to be so accepted and loved, you get to pay the Sheriff $5.

This never really was an issue until now.   We have a new Sheriff that I'm not used to.   The old one.... I would stroll in, fill out the paperwork, and come back the next day for 7 permits for free.   (It helped to show up in uniform or to chat with friends on the Department while filling out the paperwork)

Not anymore.   I have to fill out a form twice as long (that doesnt mean shit, since they're doing a background check on me anyways) and then pay $5 for a single "permit" ..... and..... I HAVE TO WAIT A WEEK

That's right, folks.   NC now has a 7 day waiting period on handguns.

Thank god for freedom.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, all this trouble is because I want a Ruger Mk II or Mk III.....

.... ammo is expensive, so I want a .22  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top