Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 1:51:38 PM EDT
One of my friends father died two weeks ago. I sent my friend a sympathy card.  Well I got a card from him thanking me for my sympathy.

I am touched at his acknowledgment of my sympathy, but I hardly sent him a card expecting for him to take time while grieving to send me a card thanking me.

When my grandfather died, I received some sympathy cards.  I thanked a few people in person when I saw them. But I did not send a card.

The card companies are pissing me off with how many different things you are supposed to send cards for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
A good idea. Let's someone know you appreciated them taking the time from their day to acknowledge your families death.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It's OK as long as you thank the person for thanking you for your sympathy. Of course, you should be thanked back for thanking the person for thanking you for your sympathy.

As long as Hallmark is making $5 for each piece of paper who cares?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think so.

They can call up and say thanks, no need for another card.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's OK as long as you thank the person for thanking you for your sympathy. Of course, you should be thanked back for thanking the person for thanking you for your sympathy.

As long as Hallmark is making $5 for each piece of paper who cares?

Yeah really.  I am foreseeing 10 years from now having to send a thank you for your thank you for my thank you for your thank you for my thank your for your birthday card.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't send a Thank-You card for receiving a card.

You only send a Thank-You card if you receive a gift, or if the person
helps in person.  But not for a card, unless it contained $$$.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It should not be seen as improper.  Keep in mind that the thank you card can be considered part of their mourning process.  They are thanking you for acknowledging their loss and pain.  Your thoughtfulness is a gift greater than anything you can purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top