Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 12:07:10 PM EDT
kdka.com/national/topstories_story_228004502.html

Aug 15, 2007 9:39 pm US/Eastern

Kevlar-Lined School Uniforms Coming To U.S.
(CBS) LONDON Pencils, notebooks and … stab-proof vests?

It doesn't sound like your usual back to school list, but some British families are shelling out hundreds of dollars for the protective uniforms, all due to a danger that has parents concerned.

The mean streets of Britain can be deadly. Surveillance cameras captured one attack that left a young man stabbed to death.

Teenage killings here have skyrocketed.

As kids go back to school, petrified parents are taking an extraordinary step, outfitting their children with stab-proof school uniforms, lined with Kevlar, the same kind of material found in flak jackets worn by U.S. troops.

They'll stop anybody bent on slashing the wearer.

Casual clothes are getting the treatment too. And Internet orders have been flooding in, including hundreds from the U.S.

"I was actually quite shocked myself," said Adrian Davis, manufacturer of a model of protective vest. "This wasn't even a direction I was looking to move in, but we have to do something."

Eighteen young people were murdered this year in London alone, and a recent study revealed that 1 in 3 children have carried a knife in the past year.

Three boys at Heather Guiste's school have been stabbed to death.

"It will protect the children," Guiste said. "I do think it's a brilliant idea because you know, you never know because the parents ain't gonna be there all the time."

The government insists violent crime is falling, despite the surge in teen stabbings.

"Around 1 percent of crimes either have a knife used or intimated, so it is a tiny proportion of total crime," said Deputy Asst. Commissioner Al Hitchcock.

But for some parents, even that minimal risk is too great when it comes to protecting their most valued treasure of all.

The company producing the stab-proof clothing is called "Bladerunner."

In addition to hundreds of United Kingdom sales, they say they've had orders from New York, Los Angeles, Dallas and Florida, but these orders were not for school uniforms.

The Bladerunner  Kevlar Lined Hoodie is stylish and designed for the urban youth.

Video (in Italian)

www.brhoodie.com/

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]

The Bladerunner Kevlar Lined Hoodie is stylish and designed for the urban youth.

......designed for urban utes.........

IF Kevlar uniforms are needed, M-16's are also probably needed.

5sub
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't we been saying all along that if you ban guns, people will use knives?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The Bladerunner Kevlar Lined Hoodie is stylish and designed for the urban youth.

......designed for urban utes.........

IF Kevlar uniforms are needed, M-16's are also probably needed.

5sub
Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I am not an expert but kevlar isn't the best for defeating bullets right? I thought stab vests are made of something else. This is primarily an anti stab product correct? This only stops slashing attacks? USELESS! All cons know a good shanking is about stabing not slashing.

I wouldn't buy anything to protect myself that doesn't have some sort of lab rating certifying it's ability to defeat a specific threat.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Worthless against a Gray Nicolls Lazer Titanium Cricket bat to the noggin......

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty cheap when you consider how small a market it is and how expensive just a regular trndy hoody can be.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Article says slashing, not stabbing.

It also says "we have to do something". How about CCP's for qualified people? Bet that would "cut" down on knife crime.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty neat...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...it's pretty neat...

+1

I was just thinking how cool is that.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Article says slashing, not stabbing.

It also says "we have to do something". How about CCP's for qualified people? Bet that would "cut" down on knife crime.

A concealed carry permit would imply that Britons could own pistols.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
A shiv could easily defeat the kevlar weave. Kevlar is very slash resistant but can't handle stabbing well because a fine point will separate the fibers.

If I were really bent on killing someone with some sort of hand held implement and I knew of this stuff, I'd go for unprotected body parts like the neck, eyes, groin, and brachial arteries. Or blunt trauma.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Worthless against a Gray Nicolls Lazer Titanium Cricket bat to the noggin......

www.desisport.com/images/products/Cricket/gnlazerbat.jpg

Yep.....in Scotland one of the most commonly used weapons in Homicides is a golf club.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pretty cheap when you consider how small a market it is and how expensive just a regular trndy hoody can be.

We're talking 65 pounds sterling.

64.99 GBP = 128.872 USD
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A shiv could easily defeat the kevlar weave. Kevlar is very slash resistant but can't handle stabbing well because a fine point will separate the fibers.

If I were really bent on killing someone with some sort of hand held implement and I knew of this stuff, I'd go for unprotected body parts like the neck, eyes, groin, and brachial arteries. Or blunt trauma.
Its been my experience that ignorant street punks seem to go for the gut.

Thats what the embedded chain mail is for.

Serious take: Permanently remove the violent punks from the schools and there is no need for body armor.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're talking 65 pounds sterling.

64.99 GBP = 128.872 USD

They have non-kevlar versions on their site as well and they are 39.99GBP IIRC, so like I said, in the grand scheme, its really not that expensive for "designer" clothing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Pfft. If I decide to wear kevlar, it's gonna be a real vest and not some pansy-ass coat. And those 'stab proof' kevlar vests are merely cut resistant; most will NOT stop a knife from stabbing through, or at least the low-profile ones won't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck that. Go to school decked out in some proper armor, with the space marine shoulderpads and everything. Throw in a PASGT helmet and one of those level IIIA masks for good measure. Ain't nobody gonna mess wit ya then!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Gimmick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top