Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 10:49:14 AM EDT
Hey guys, I got a new laptop yesterday, and its all well and good, but the problem is I can't get it to connect to the internet.

I have DSL, and it recognizes that their is a modem there, but it just can't connect.

I'm thinking I either set it up wrong (probably) or that the software doesn't support Vista?

This is what I did to set it up: (I have a Zoom X5 modem btw)

Installed the software for the modem.

Went to "Connect to a network"

clicked: "Set up a connection or a network"

"connect to the Internet"

clicked "Broadband PPoE"

This is where I think I may have messed up:

It says to type in the name your ISP gave you, What should I type in here? I tried my email (I have sbcglobal.net)

And that is it, do any of you guys have ideas? My modem is old, should I get a new one with software for Vista?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I hooked up a friend with a new computer and a new modem about 10 days ago. I called tec support at att. It took them 2 hours to get him regestered. We had to finally go into safe mode to get it done. I suspect the free trial McAfee software may have been the trouble.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You need to set it up for a lAN  and pick auto detect setting
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You need to set it up for a lAN  and pick auto detect setting

I'm computer stupid, how do I go about that? Also, it is not a LAN, it is a broadband connection. I only have one modem, so I have to switch between this computer and the laptop.

Also, is that a way to Turn off Mcafee? Its fucking annoying to have to always say "yes, I do want to run this program, no its not a virus"
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, I already have a broadband connection on this computer, so I don't think I need to register with att again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
start
control panel
network connections
internet options
---connections tab
-------auto detect
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I think I found it.

"Auto Detect settings" right?

Should I also check the box under it that says "Use automatic config script"? If so, what do I put in the box underneath that that says: Address?

After that, what? should I restart it with the modem plugged in?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
bump..............
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
start
control panel
network connections
internet options
---connections tab
-------auto detect

This is where I got to on the connection tab:

from there I went to "settings" and clicked what I told you in the above post.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
bump again...have I stumped you guys?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, I think I am making progress.

When I click the icon that appeared after I installed the modem software, a webpage comes up, but there is a little window that says I need to log into the server 'Viking' at 10.0.0.2? What is this?

This is so frustrating
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
click lan settings
and set it to auto detect
should connect within a few seconds-----------from the screenshot you took

note: more than likely you didnt need the software you installed

also, are you using a linksys router or any other type of router?? or just the modem strait to your computer
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
click lan settings
and set it to auto detect
should connect within a few seconds-----------from the screenshot you took

note: more than likely you didnt need the software you installed

also, are you using a linksys router or any other type of router?? or just the modem strait to your computer

just a modem.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
then from the screenshot above click on the lan settings and auto detect and it should connect for you

however on the modem i have at home thru bellsouth, you have to actually log into the modem and put your username that your service provider gave you as well as the password and it should connect you right up

when all else fails call customer support, so many ppl have your same problem its a normal thing they should be able to get you running in 5 minutes if you can figure it out

but like i said
lan settings, then auto detect and it should work
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried it and it didn't work.

I'll have to call att then and ask them what to do.

Thanks for your help though.

ETA: How can I find out what the username my ISP gave me is? Do I have to call them, or can I get it from this connection?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
are you hard wired to the modem? or what type of  wireless router are you using?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
helpme.att.net/article.php?item=2020

Are all of those tasks completed?   Your username is your member ID.   Make sure the DSL modem is plugged in, and the phone line cable is plugged in.  I had to setup DSL
from AT&T for a neighbor awhile back.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I had trouble with my Vista machine accessing the internet wirelessly until I assigned it a static IP address.  I don't know why.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
helpme.att.net/article.php?item=2020

Are all of those tasks completed?   Your username is your member ID.   Make sure the DSL modem is plugged in, and the phone line cable is plugged in.  I had to setup DSL
from AT&T for a neighbor awhile back.

That might be my problem. The CDs I had thought I was running an old version of NT and said they didn't support it. I went to att's website and downloaded the latest version on this comptuer then put that on a cd and transfered it to mine. Maybe I need a new cd :(

ETA: maybe I downloaded the wrong one? the file was 1.5 mb and the name was 'dslreg'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top