Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 11:22:02 PM EDT
What are the laws about traveling with pointy objects? I know flying to Greece with my Glock is out of the question, but can I take a folder in my checked luggage? Who knows the answer to this?

Edited for stupidity. I meant to say checked luggage.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't think a knife in your carry on bag will go over well...a few years ago some really bad shit happened because of some crazies with box cutters!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a sabre into checked baggage flying to Heathrow two years ago, nobody seemed to complain. (I put it in a cardboard tube, but did check in with Customs anyway)

NTM
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Every country has slightly different laws on edged weapons.  Check the laws.

Of course nothing in carry ons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Every country has slightly different laws on edged weapons.  Check the laws.

Of course nothing in carry ons.

That is accurate.

If you are caught carrying a weapon over there, your ass will be in a sling.  If you are going to carry one, carry something that won't make you cry if you have to stuff in in a trash can or toss it off a bridge (hypothetically speaking, CoC and all ).  FWIW, I've never had problems flying into European Airports with a 4" Spyderco in my checked luggage*.  While I was stationed in Germany, I traveled everywhere (incl. other countries) with the knife clipped into my waistband, behind my belt, underneath an untucked shirt.  

*Completely anecdotal, YMMV.  I have also never flown into or out of England.  Ireland, yes.  England, no.  

ETA: If you are uncomfortable with the thought of offending someone's sensibilities should you be discovered carrying a knife, perhaps you should consider buying a nice, all metal pen for your trip.  After all, nearly everyone can appreciate a fine writing instrument.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
In the UK you are allowed to carry a blade of up to 3" that does NOT lock open.

However if the police find you carrying one, they WILL make life difficult for you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In the UK you are allowed to carry a blade of up to 3" that does NOT lock open.

However if the police find you carrying one, they WILL make life difficult for you.

In Finland you're not allowed to carry any kind of knife/mace/firearm...etc. in public.
You definitely get arrested if police/customs/guards etc.  finds you carrying knife in here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:58:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
actually this knife is available on thier website.  They refer to it as a "UK penknife" as it has no locking mechanism.  I can't recall the model it's based off but it might be the dragonfly... i remember it was small and fairly conventional looking, so probably the dragonfly or delica models.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top