Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2007 8:34:46 PM EDT
I got bored of it.

I spent an entire year sending it back and forth to kimber to fix the 10 different things that was wrong with it(they were so full of themselves they would never read my 2 pages of notes of what was exactly wrong so it had to go back each time at aaround $90 in shipping both ways) and when it finally works my mind decided I don't want it anymore.

I think I bought it for around $800 and got $600 cash for it.

I don't know what it is but my SP101 and my glock 19 just seem so much more functional as handguns.

It was a TRE/RL II Pro stainless steel with internal extractor(started out as an external extractor btw).

Brass still would hit me right in the forehead every now and then or just barely eject out of the slide.

Thing was a piece of shit and it was a replacement pistol of an even shitter gun, the external extractor.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Were the malfunctions ejection related?

My Team Match II has the external extractor and I have had zero extraction issues in over 50,000 rounds in a single year. This gun sees nearly 1,000 rounds a week and keeps on going (cleaned one or two times a week).

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My Team Match II has the external extractor and I have had zero extraction issues in over 50,000 rounds in a single year. This gun sees nearly 1,000 rounds a week and keeps on going (cleaned one or two times a week).

Mainly.

But even the replacement pistol had an incorrectly machined frame so the slide wouldn't go all the way back all the way.

So even the replacement pistol had flaws.

It probably took over $500 in freight charges to finally get a correct pistol.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
So who converted it from external to internal extractor?

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much why I don't carry a 1911 anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So who converted it from external to internal extractor?

Kimber, they repalced the entire slide on the replacement pistol.

They even put a new external extractor slide on the original FYI and that didn't fix anything but of course they still sent it back to me.

So it took a new gun, then that new gun needed a new frame cause it wasn't machined right where the guide rod rests in the frame.

They even DROPPED the original on the ground and sent it back with huge gashes in it.

I probably have the craziest 1911 story.

Now I just need to find out how to sell 450 rounds of LC .308 and 7 M1A mags and my hands will be washed of gun stuff that's just sitting around and I don't use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pretty much why I don't carry a 1911 anymore. [://

What kind of 1911 did you have that you weren't satisified with and what kind of ammo were you running? What pound main spring?

There are reasons not to (limited capacity, weight); but the 1911 is a great pistol. Read my above post, over 50K rounds in less than a year with very, very few malfunctions. Most of my malfunctions were either when the gun was just filthy dirty or caused by my reloads.

I personally wouldn't carry a 1911 because of the limit on capacity. .45ACP is a not a space efficient caliber.

On the plus side, it is thin (concealment), has a manual safety (big plus in my book--if you get snatched it'll save your life), and fires a potent caliber.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of 1911 did you have that you weren't satisified with and what kind of ammo were you running? What pound main spring?

There are reasons not to (limited capacity, weight); but the 1911 is a great pistol. Read my above post, over 50K rounds in less than a year with very, very few malfunctions. Most of my malfunctions were either when the gun was just filthy dirty or caused by my reloads.

I personally wouldn't carry a 1911 because of the limit on capacity. .45ACP is a not a space efficient caliber.

On the plus side, it is thin (concealment), has a manual safety (big plus in my book--if you get snatched it'll save your life), and fires a potent caliber.

Sounds like for what you do your 1911 fits the bill.
If I competed in something with handguns I'd use a 1911 also.

I'm more of "handgun gets me to my rifle" guy so my glock 19 and sp101 works perfectly for their given purposes.

I WILL own another 1911 someday when I have $1000+ to spend on a handgun and it will FOR SURE be a 5" model.

I'm not convinced the 1911 was ever designed to be anything smaller.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to hijack, but I'll answer your questions:

Types of guns (what I remember off the top of my head) -
Colt Combat Commander
Springfield Armory Loaded
Norinco
S&W 1911PD
Imbel

Ammo -
you name it, pretty much everything from UMC to Winchester Ranger T

Recoil Springs (misread your question at first - these are the recoil spring weights, all mainsprings were stock as far as I know) -
16 and 18.5 (Gov't), 18 (Commander) IIRC

Magazines -
Wilson Combat, Colt, Mec-Gar, factory

I still have the 1911PD and Norinco, both are good guns, but don't exhibit the kind reliability I'd like to stake my life on when when more reliable choices are to be had. I like 1911s and will most likely buy more, but I highly doubt I'll ever carry one routinely again. Of all the 1911s I've owned and shot, I only recall one that went over 200 rounds without a problem - a late 90s production Springfield Loaded that belongs to a friend of mine. I don't doubt for a minute that there are plenty of rock solid 1911s out there (I know several guys that have good luck with 'em), but my personal experience has turned me away from them for serious social purposes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Are all team match EE?  I thought that was one of the few models that never went to EE.... Maybe I'm confused?

Either way, thats a vast round count, I wish I could come close to that.

Everyone that I know that has had an EE Kimber has had problems with them.  Hell you see tons of people on the board with Kimber, et al, with problems that never seem to get fixed.

I must have lucked out with my Kimber, hasn't had one hickup except a F2F with some junk reloads I bought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The fact that mainspring and ammo types even needs to be brought up is enough for me.

I went down that road more then a few times with mine during that year of various troubleshooting.

On a side note the glock 19 I purchased had an issue but $20 and 20 minutes of my time I had it fixed.

Needless to say my sp101 holds a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
if you are happy, then
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]
They still make them if you ever want another one. The 1911 was a great pistol in 1911 with ball ammo. Now a lot of guys who are not John Browning have messed them up. My old Remington Rand GI gun ran like a top. Life is too short to worry about your pistol. You have the G19 so you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never had any trouble with my Kimber that wasn't ammo related.  WWB, of course.  Great function, great accuracy, and of course supreme beauty.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:31:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Which is why the Glock 21 is the best .45acp platform.  I have never seen one type of handgun so finicky as a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Which is why the Glock 21 is the best .45acp platform.  I have never seen one type of handgun so finicky as a 1911.

I am not big on Glocks, but your 21 was a very nice shooter.

1911's are nice for range work, but when its a carry piece that I need I will stick to my Tubberware and Wheelguns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1911's are nice for range work, but when its a carry piece that I need I will stick to my Tubberware and Wheelguns.
Pretty much.  Kind of like owning a 57 Chevy.  Nice to have fun to drive every now and then.  But when you actually do traveling it is best to drive the Toyota.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much.  Kind of like owning a 57 Chevy.  Nice to have fun to drive every now and then.  But when you actually do traveling it is best to drive the Toyota.

Very well said.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very well said.
I have to admit I am just repeating something that either StyerAug or Aimeless posted a few years back. (but it is still t he truth).
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So you bought an off brand that didn't work right and well, I guess that happens.  Colt, its the real thing.

The original piece of shit.  I'll never own another 1911.  I've had maybe 8, and the two colts (both new) were the worst.  My Kimber CDP was the best, and it only jammed every other range session.  My BHP clone (my first pistol) has been great for over 15 years, and my Glocks never jam.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#22]
well I recently bought a glock 9mm and had the same shit happen to me with that piece of crap.

Kept getting hit on the forehead with brass as it ejected. Sorry, wasn't as diligent as you but I decided to sell it to a dealer at a fun show for more than the price I bought it used for. Couldn't beat that and I kept several magazines to sell later (that it came with). I will stick with 1911 type guns...that was the second or third 9mm glock I have ever owned and glad I got rid of them.

ymmv of course
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I must be the only motherfucker in the free world that hasn't had problems with 1911s, even though I've been told for years that that's physically impossible.  

In fact, the only 1911 I ever had problems with was an RIA, which even ran fine as the gun beat itself to death.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I must be the only motherfucker in the free world that hasn't had problems with 1911s, even though I've been told for years that that's physically impossible.  

Second motherfucker right here.

These kids have been convinced brainwashed that Glocks are better than 1911's, and Toyotas are better than Chevys. And if you dont think so just ask them. Then ask them why we dont have a manufacturing base anymore.

I must be the only motherfucker that still likes American stuff.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#26]
If Glocks were made by 100's of different vendors I wonder what kind of reputation for reliability they would have?

Almost 30 years of carrying a quality 1911 almost every day. Some of that time was spent being shot at.  I never feel undergunned or worried about my carry choice.

Your mileage will vary; it's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These kids have been convinced brainwashed that Glocks are better than 1911's, and Toyotas are better than Chevys. And if you dont think so just ask them. Then ask them why we dont have a manufacturing base anymore.

Chey's are made in Mexico and Canada, Springfield Armory's 1911's are made in Brazil, my Toyota was made in California and my SIG was made in New Hampshire.  As it stands my next handgun will be a M&P.

ETA the reason I have a Glock 21 is because it has a rail, 13+1 capacity, fits my hand well  is a natural pointer and has a consistent trigger pull and no safety and is 100% reliable (with the exception of one stove pipe on the 5th round after I bought it).  4,000 rounds now without a hickup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In fact, the only 1911 I ever had problems with was an RIA, which even ran fine as the gun beat itself to death.

Honestly, my 1911 hasn't given me much headache at all. The only main difference in reliability between my 1911 and my XDs is that after 500 rounds in a single session, the 1911 will start failing. But with that being said, those first 500 run just fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So you bought an off brand that didn't work right and well, I guess that happens.  Colt, its the real thing.

The original piece of shit.  I'll never own another 1911.  I've had maybe 8, and the two colts (both new) were the worst.  My Kimber CDP was the best, and it only jammed every other range session.  My BHP clone (my first pistol) has been great for over 15 years, and my Glocks never jam.

Someone's been drinking the black cool-aid....
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had mixed feelings about the 1911 platform.  I've had those who performed flawlessly, and I've had those that could not be fixed.  Currently I no longer own any 1911s.  I'm a Glock, Sig, HK type of guy.  But by the years end, i'm going to build a custom 1911 for the collection.  It's hit or miss I guess.

-MEI
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I can say I have had pretty good luck with my 1911's.........a Kimber Custom II and a S&W 1911 PD................both solid and accurate. I still like my Glock and HK USP, although the HK may go in favor of a SIG 220
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Same here. I don't doubt for a second when folks describe the problems they've had with their 1911's, but I just don't share those experiences. Ove the years I've carried and owned Colts, Para's, Springfields, and my all time favorite, a Wilson. Some of those were Commanders sized and Officers, but most were full sized 5".

I'm now at the point where I'm either carrying a 1911 or a Hi Power. All my carry rigs and magazines are set up for that, so it makes no difference if I acquire a new one of either. I'm itching to get a Glock after a range session with one a few weeks ago, but it will most likely be more of a "house gun" that will be shared with my wife.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#34]
wow

I think I will keep mine

only one that has given me problems is the CD 1911.  Not a 1911 design problem but a CD quality problem.

My SA gi and my Kimber Warrior remain 2 of my favorite handguns.

Just felt I needed to give a little love to kimber in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I own a Glock 17, and it is a fabulous pistol that is cheap to shoot but 1911's have a special place in my heart. The one that runs the best is my World War One Colt.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I enjoy both Glocks and 1911s.  You probably still have your originally issued number of hands, so why not have both?

Glocks are great with factory ammunition.

I have shot a boatload of cast 200gr H&G68 SWC bullets in my 1911s over the years.  My 1911s feed the mildly recoiling loads and the bullets don't lead the bores.  When I am up to reloading, my 1911s get the workout.  When I am not, well, out come the Glocks.

My Colts have been fine.  Finding 1911 magazines that hold up, though, has been more difficult.

Why does it have to be a 1911 OR a Glock?  This isn't marriage, fellas.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#37]
My first 1911 was a Springfield Armory GI model and I had multiple feed and ejection issues within the first 500 rounds.  I still have it but never shoot it.

2nd 1911 is a Rock Island Armory I acquired in a trade.  I have had no feed or ejection issues with 6000+ (need to check my log book) rounds down range.

3rd 1911...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My only 45's:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=54004

...and I am considering selling off the Dan Wesson 1911, nothing wrong with it, I just personally feel the XD-45 is superior.

That is because it is superior.  My first .45 was my XD, same model as yours, 5" BiTone.  I have a Kimber Pro TLE II, and I hope it turns out well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I think alot of this 1911 bashing is made up for internet consumption, by people trying to push tupperware.

The same could be said about people bashing polymer guns.  Me?  I've got both and they both work fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I enjoy both Glocks and 1911s.  You probably still have your originally issued number of hands, so why not have both?

Glocks are great with factory ammunition.

I have shot a boatload of cast 200gr H&G68 SWC bullets in my 1911s over the years.  My 1911s feed the mildly recoiling loads and the bullets don't lead the bores.  When I am up to reloading, my 1911s get the workout.  When I am not, well, out come the Glocks.

My Colts have been fine.  Finding 1911 magazines that hold up, though, has been more difficult.

Why does it have to be a 1911 OR a Glock?  This isn't marriage, fellas.

Please report for reeducation.  You MUST choose one or the other on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Years ago, my dad gave me a Charles Daly compact 1911. I really liked it and have had NO issues if I do my part and not limp-wrist it while shooting it. Then I bought the full-size Daly 1911 and have had ZERO issues with that gun. Both stock and both have had thousands of rounds through them now.

Last Fall I bought a Taurus PT 1911 and have put several hundred rounds through that gun. Totally flawless. LOVE the gun. Nicer than the Daly's by far. Custom gun features. All three of these 1911's that I currently own cost $500 or less. And they are all keepers in my book. So I have to laugh when people say 1911's aren't reliable box stock, cause my "cheap-o" 1911's sure have been. And I have to laugh at the 1911-snobs who scoff at Daly and Taurus 1911's, because evidently mine run better than some of theirs. Funny thing is, there are other 1911 snobs who look down on their Springfields and Kimbers and S&W's. If you don't own a Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, or Brown you own junk and should not depend on your cheapie 1911 in those elite snobs' eyes.

The brand name means NOTHING. The gun type means NOTHING. If it goes bang every time you pull the trigger, if it hits where you aim it, and if you like it, then it's a good gun. Period. I hate Glocks. But many Glock owners have Glocks that satisfy these three things, so they are great guns. Same with every other brand and type.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Oh, sorry Ladadelphia.

I understand.  Tough choices must be made.

G19 for carry.

G20 for general ass kicking.

1911s are tools of deviancy.  The use of 1911s may cause blurred vision and incontinence.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Bwhahahaha.

1911s are great.  You can attach many superlatives to a well constructed 1911 that will NEVER be attached to a Glock.

Unfortunately, reality comes knocking.  I carry my G20 in the woods.  A piece of barbed wire gouged a nasty scratch in the exposed side of my plastic framed G20.

I would have cried like a little girl if that had happened to ANY of my 1911s.  Or heaven forbid my Python.  I was tempted to put a matching scratch on the opposite side of the G20.  

I am entertained by the "must take sides" aspect of all of this.

Oh, and I prefer Marlin lever actions to Winchester 94s.

Will my blasphemy NEVER end?

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#46]
1. To start a fight, denigrate those things to which people have developed an irrational attachment: horses, cats, pit bulls and 1911s.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I just have a SA Goverment model, and it's a fun gun but I've had a few too many jams and miss feeds to consider it for primary carry.

I'll still answer the door with it b/c I know it will at least get  through that first magazine.

You made a good choice MillerSHO
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
1. To start a fight, denigrate those things to which people have developed an irrational attachment: horses, cats, pit bulls and 1911s.

Thanks for your oh-so-wise input.

And add ugly, plastic guns to that list as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone's been drinking the black cool-aid....

I'm thinking he's been drinking the cool-aid that makes his right wrist go limp while shooting. Because limp-wristing is the ONLY thing that's ever caused a problem with any of my 1911's and since realizing that, I've never had another issue in subsequent years.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAme here. My two 1911's run like tops. The only malf was when my G/F limp-wristed the SA. Other than that,perfect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top