Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2007 7:30:34 PM EDT

Sergeant Ron Harrison was shot and killed while sitting in his patrol car.

He had just finished a DWI checkpoint and was sitting in his patrol car near the intersection of Lumsden Road and Kings Avenue in the town of Brandon, when a suspect approached his vehicle and fired into the car through the open passenger side window, striking Sergeant Harrison multiple times.

Sergeant Harrison activated his lights and siren and tried to drive off but lost control of his patrol car, struck another vehicle and then crashed into a tree.

The sergeant was taken to Brandon Community Hospital, where he died from his wounds.

A short time later, a woman called 911 saying her boyfriend may have been involved in the shooting of a deputy and was at a home. A SWAT team then converged on that home and negotiations began with the suspect who was barricaded inside. The suspect fired multiple shots at the SWAT team, who returned fire, killing him.

Sergeant Harrison had served with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office for 20 years and is survived by his four children.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
yah there were reward posters every where for this guy... I think the highest I saw was 106,000
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That seems to be SOP for dealing with cop killers in FL.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yah there were reward posters every where for this guy... I think the highest I saw was 106,000

Must be another one this all happened pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job for the Hillsborough Co. SWAT Team.

Rest In Peace, Sergeant.

I'll see you in the last roll call.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe, I am in broward at the moment... Summer with my boat
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The perp was reportedly some kind of white supremacist... may have killed the officer because he was black.

My condolences to the officer's family... and kudos to Hillsborough ERT for taking care of business.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Least they did not say "self inflicted".
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Sentence carried out.  

Case closed.

RIP Lawman you have done your time in hell.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...condolences to the officer's family... and kudos to Hillsborough ERT for taking care of business.

+1

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It is a shame that the Officer was murdered. He was a 20 year veteran and should have been able to enjoy a semi-retired life with his family and friends.

I'm glad the asshat criminal is dead. I hope he burns in hell.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Maybe, I am in broward at the moment... Summer with my boat

Another sergent was killed Friday. [And I'm jelous of the boat]

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Friday, August 10, 2007
Weapon Used: Handgun
Suspect Info: At large

Sergeant Christopher Reyka was shot and killed while checking on two suspicious vehicles in a convenience store parking lot at approximately 1:20 am.

He had parked next to the two vehicles and was checking their license plates.

As he exited his patrol car, an occupant of one of the vehicles also exited the car and opened fire, striking Sergeant Reyka several times. Customers of the store immediately called 911 to report the shooting.

Sergeant Reyka was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds a short time later.

The suspect fled the scene and remains at large.

Sergeant Reyka had served with the Broward County Sheriff's Office for 18 years. He is survived by his wife and four children.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As it should be everywhere..
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I wish harm against no one (rosie o'donnel aside), but after reading that he was working a checkpoint my sympathy meter is at zero.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wish harm against no one (rosie o'donnel aside), but after reading that he was working a checkpoint my sympathy meter is at zero.

Why am I not surprised.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Why don't you come out and say it?  You think he was a JBT infringing on your freedoms and you're glad he got his comeuppance.

Don't dance around it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it shouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Prayers for the officers family.

One more POS not breathing =
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Another sergent was killed Friday.

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Friday, August 10, 2007
Weapon Used: Handgun
Suspect Info: At large

Sergeant Christopher Reyka was shot and killed while checking on two suspicious vehicles in a convenience store parking lot at approximately 1:20 am.

He had parked next to the two vehicles and was checking their license plates.

As he exited his patrol car, an occupant of one of the vehicles also exited the car and opened fire, striking Sergeant Reyka several times. Customers of the store immediately called 911 to report the shooting.

Sergeant Reyka was transported to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds a short time later.

The suspect fled the scene and remains at large.

Sergeant Reyka had served with the Broward County Sheriff's Office for 18 years. He is survived by his wife and four children.

He had one heck of a funeral procession yesterday... RIP

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.

Naturally. The chance to crap in an officer death threat is essentially irresistable. Cheer up, someone else has the same lack of self control too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.

Naturally. The chance to crap in an officer death threat is essentially irresistable. Cheer up, someone else has the same lack of self control too.

Any other crimes you want to make it SOP to exercise street justice?

The death of this officer is tragic.  The death of this perp is a result of his actions.  But to say that everyone thought to be a cop killer deserves to be killed rather than being brought before a jury to answer for his actions is absurd.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.

Pack it in, Johninaustin.  Nobody is reveling in a LEO's senseless death.  The point is that, in addition, no one should be saying that SWAT teams should go around "taking out the trash" w/o due process.  If a BG shoots it out with the cops, then justice might be served . . . or not.  A jury trial is still (last time I checked) the standard of justice in the USA.

Furthermore, I am a bit put off by the amount of taxpayer dollars represented in the funeral display above that could be better spent on further law enforcement to prevent further cop killings.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.

Pack it in, Johninaustin.  Nobody is reveling in a LEO's senseless death.  The point is that, in addition, no one should be saying that SWAT teams should go around "taking out the trash" w/o due process.  If a BG shoots it out with the cops, then justice might be served . . . or not.  A jury trial is still (last time I checked) the standard of justice in the USA.

Furthermore, I am a bit put off by the amount of taxpayer dollars represented in the funeral display above that could be better spent on further law enforcement to prevent further cop killings.

You do realize that time spent at officer funerals in on your OWN time? No one is getting paid for it.

If it REALLY chaps your ass IM me your address and I'll mail you a nickel.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Why don't you come out and say it?  You think he was a JBT infringing on your freedoms and you're glad he got his comeuppance.

Don't dance around it.

not glad really, I just honestly don't give a fuck.

He was running a checkpoint, its not like he was valiantly protecting his community.

Dear god man, if a McDonalds burger flipper gets shot in the face while making up some fries, will a memorial thread be started for him too?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Once folks start killing cops it isn't unusual for them to continue their hostile actions.

Some bastards simply won't be taken alive....and if you are a cop who is trying to arrest a man you know has already killed another cop, you react to any aggressive action with lethal force instantly.

So in other words, it's more SOP for the criminal douchebags than for the cops.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well if some racist nitwit decides to execute you just because he can, don't expect anyone else to care much about it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I don't think that's inflation adjusted!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.

You do realize that time spent at officer funerals in on your OWN time? No one is getting paid for it.

Those were personal choppers flying in formation?  Did the firemen bring their personal firetrucks to hoist those flags we see in the pics?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if some racist nitwit decides to execute you just because he can, don't expect anyone else to care much about it.

I'll send flowers.  Honest.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't expect anyone to give a fuck except for a few friends and family members.  

Much like me, it sounds like the officer wasn't doing much for the community so why the big show?

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I strongly disagree.

Is it a lack of self control to believe that anyone accused of a crime should face a judge and jury rather than a bunch of cops?  

If I had a lack of self control, I would be typing out exactly what I and many others think of your shitty attitude towards non-officers...but I won't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Is it a lack of self control to believe that anyone accused of a crime should face a judge and jury rather than a bunch of cops?  

It's a lack of critical thinking on anyone's part to believe that the police on scene decided on the outcome of this particular event.

If I had a lack of self control, I would be typing out exactly what I and many others think of your shitty attitude towards non-officers...but I won't.

His attitude towards non-officers is just fine. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him get on the case of somebody who wasn't doing something stupid in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Much like me, it sounds like the officer wasn't doing much for the community so why the big show?

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ohh yes, the argument.

your power of debate is uncanny
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#38]

We are about to reach a critical mass where it just doesn't pay to do it all. Where it just doesn't pay to comply. Where it's easier not to comply. Where even those who WANT to comply, because they think they are being good citizens by doing it, will not be allowed to fully comply.

Then it will begin to happen. These people who shoot you and orphan your children will not be patriots. They won't be political activists and extremists for the most part. They won't be someone like me, for instance. No, it will be Joe Sixpack who takes you out.

You say it won't happen.

It happens all the time, even now. The most celebrated case of just this phenomenon was the shooting of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner by Mumia Abu Jamal. Faulkner by all reports was a good cop. And Mumia, by all reports, was basically a thug. However, Faulkner's coworkers, the Philadelphia Police, developed a reputation of acting like thugs, and Mumia had been on the front lines of the receipt of this thuggery. So on one fateful night, that nobody planned, an innocent Faulkner had innocently pulled over two  men who had not planned on killing anyone that night.

It will happen like that, just that easily. Over and over and over again.

Or what about the case of Stuart Alexander, the San Leandro sausage factory owner who was so thoroughly harassed by USDA agents over a period of time, that one day, he just snapped, and shot three of them dead.

Yes, it will happen, just like that, over and over and over again.

The excuse of Timothy McVeigh, rightly or wrongly, was that his act was a punishment of the federal government for the murder of 88 people, including some 20 children, by federal agents at Waco.

If what I think is going to happen becomes a reality, the number of Daniel Faulkners, Mumia Abu Jamals, Tim McVeighs, and Stuart Alexanders are going to increase exponentially.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Prayers sent for Sgt. Harrison and his family.

Congrats to the SWAT team on a successful conclusion to this incident.
As to the some of the usual bashers, have some self respect, edit out your comments and start a new thread thread to bash in. This man served his community and was murdered in cold blood for nothing more than being an LEO. Some of you guys have ZERO class.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ohh yes, the argument.

your power of debate is uncanny

Some statements are so damnably silly as to be unworthy of debate.

Good day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#42]

RIP to Sergeant Harrison.
  +1 to the SWAT team for nailing the BG

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a lack of critical thinking on anyone's part to believe that the police on scene decided on the outcome of this particular event.

His attitude towards non-officers is just fine. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him get on the case of somebody who wasn't doing something stupid in the first place.

Good, JIA's personal licker is responding to his posts again.

The "Death by cop now" arguement doesn't relate to this exact issue.  A poster said it should be SOP for ALL times that a cop is shot.  I said I disagree and JIA got snippy.

He "got on me" because I said someone accused of a crime should have their day in court.  If you think I was doing something stupid in the first place then you have proven my point that street cops should not have the authority to hand out punishment.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Glad the a-hole was perforated, but I'd like to see all murderers treated this way.... not just cop killers....
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#45]

I wouldn't expect anyone to give a fuck except for a few friends and family members.

And here we have the "each man is an island" concept taken to its logical extreme.

This officer served the community for many years, and it wasn't all at DUI checkpoints (and since when does that make somebody a JBT deserving of death?).  He was shot in cold blood by a white supremacist after a lifetime of service to his community.

But I don't expect you to either understand, nor acknowledge that.

Incidently... if you don't give a f*ck, then why are you here commenting?  I never understood what drives people to showcase the utter emptiness of their own souls by spitting on a dead man's grave, just because he was a cop.    

Just another junior-high-school troll, venting adolescent angst by being a crass, misanthropic a**hole.

School's starting soon... I'll bet you can't wait!  Must be exciting!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Good, JIA's personal licker is responding to his posts again.

Again, utterly unable to carry on even the simplest of conversations without crass juvenile behavior.

Again, it amazes me that you get offended when someone responds to a post you made on a public forum.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Prayers sent for Sgt. Harrison and his family.

Agreed.

Congrats to the SWAT team on a successful conclusion to this incident.

In this case, yes.

As to the some of the usual bashers, have some self respect, edit out your comments and start a new thread thread to bash in. This man served his community and was murdered in cold blood for nothing more than being an LEO. Some of you guys have ZERO class.

There was one basher, his comments were out of line.

Your fellow Brothers of the Shield are jumping on people that disagree with executing a suspect on the spot because of the crime he committed

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Personal attacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top