Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 1:55:39 PM EDT
The short of it is that my next door neighbor brings home the biggest fifth wheel trailer that I have ever seen and parks it in the driveway. He has all three slide outs open and power run to it.  I'm sure that its not going to be there forever but I and the other neighbors don't want to look at this thing. There is no HOA here but there is a covenant about parking trailers and boats on your property. My question is who enforces this? The city said it's not their gig. It's my wifes boss so talking to him is out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to sue to enforce a restrictive covenant.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You need to sue to enforce a restrictive covenant.

He is right
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
So there's no easy out....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Deal with it, dont be that asshole neighbor that writes letters about every lil thing in the world.

CC&Rs are the flare of the Nazis, remember that.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I'm glad you're not my neighbor. If it were in horrible condition or something I could possibly understand your distress.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the code enforcement officer if you did not ask for them specifically.  They are in charge of enforcement of code and most cities have something about parking recreational vehicles in the front.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not an ass...I'm trying to sell my house and don't need the beverly hillbillys bringing my property value down. Sorry ....but I'll be That guy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have nothing constructive to add to this thread

I am glad I live out in the country and if I want to park a 1968 airstream with a mural painted on the side of Fay Wray getting boinked by King Kong while Larry Flint looks on, there ain't shit nobody can say about it (except my wife and I can throw her to the ape to if I want)  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My neighborhood has a lot of older people in it, and therefore, lots of Big 5th wheel RV's.  It doesn't bother me, they're all kept in the driveway, in good condition.  I don't have a problem with it.  I do have a problem with the white trash people that like to park in their yard, or even their neighbor's yards though.

I hate the code enforcement people.  I once got a letter cause I had too many newspapers in my driveway.  I had 3 papers there.  Ya know what?  Every Wednesday, I get 3 newspapers thrown in my driveway.  I got the letter a couple days later.  So, I asked the code enforcement person if I could file a complaint against the people that keep littering in my yard every Wednesday.  They didn't quite understand what I was getting at.  (And yes, I've called the 3 newspaper companies and told them I don't want the papers, and they said, it's free and takes too much work to skip houses.)
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
How long has it been there?

Maybe hes just loading up for the weekend?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Three weeks
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm not an ass...I'm trying to sell my house and don't need the beverly hillbillys bringing my property value down. Sorry ....but I'll be That guy.

Sounds a bit self righteous to me. "Biggest 5th wheel trailer you've ever seen" = "Beverly Hillbillys"???

Glad I do not live around you. Let that man do what he wants on his own property.

If my neighbor called me in for working on my project car. I'd mortar his yard with ice cubes of grass killer. Wonder if he thinks like me?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds a bit self righteous to me. "Biggest 5th wheel trailer you've ever seen" = "Beverly Hillbillys"???

Glad I do not live around you. Let that man do what he wants on his own property.

If my neighbor called me in for working on my project car. I'd mortar his yard with ice cubes of grass killer. Wonder if he thinks like me?

People who have to park boats and large trailers on the curb should know better than to buy a house in a subdivision with small lots.  Caveat emptor, he signed the agreement not to do it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People who have to park boats and large trailers on the curb should know better than to buy a house in a subdivision with small lots.  Caveat emptor, he signed the agreement not to do it.

OP said it's in the driveway.  I had mentioned I have a neighbor that parks his trailer on the street...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clever.

I'll definitely have to try that one myself.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#16]
The obvious solution is to have a free lawyer file a lawsuit without having you as a plaintiff or a witness.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have nothing constructive to add to this thread

I am glad I live out in the country and if I want to park a 1968 airstream with a mural painted on the side of Fay Wray getting boinked by King Kong while Larry Flint looks on, there ain't shit nobody can say about it (except my wife and I can throw her to the ape to if I want)  

What he said.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#18]
You need to do some research on this. I can see both sides of the situation here. I had a neighbor pull on old mobile home shell into his driveway planning to "renovate" it for a family member. Neighbor 2 houses down was trying to sell his house and went ballistic. Restrictions say no mobile homes.
Suggest you go to the Clerk of Court in your area and do some research. Most of the time you have one year to take legal action then he is grandfathered.
Why don't you go over and talk to him about it first? Might simplify things.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

i used to believe this way.  i loathed the very thought of HOAs.  changed my mind this summer.

our summer home is in a valley just east of the pioneer mountains in montana.  at the time, there were only 2 other houses within eyeshot.  well, the area has grown somewhat--when i went back to work on the house this summer, the neighborhood had exploded.  the average lot size is 10 acres, and all the neighbors had a gentlemen's agreement to build as far from each other as possible, in order to maintain the wide open appearance of the valley.  

this summer, our neighbor to the north announced that, despite the agreement, he was going to build 4 spec houses on 5.5 acres immediately fronting the country road.  it seems that he had found a loophole, and wasn't bound by any covenants.  and the funny part is that, despite the evidence that the watershed can't accomodate this kind of density, we can't object on the basis of water rights until after the damage has been done.  all of the landowners are still fighting, but against long odds.

imagine that you found the perfect plot of land.  say it's on a pretty little lake nestled in the mountains.  now imagine that a strip mining company buys up all the surrounding land and destroys it.

trust me, you'll gain a new appreciation of land use rights.

to the OP, you need to have a legal entity to enforce the covenants.  this would be an HOA.  we're putting together rural zoning for our valley, and an HOA to enforce it.  in montana, you need 60% of the landowners within the tract to create a zoning ordinance.  best thing to do is talk to your neighbors first, then go to a lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Deal with it, dont be that asshole neighbor that writes letters about every lil thing in the world.

+1000000
You live in AMERICA son, man up.  Hell get your own camper and a real truck to pull it you may actually enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#21]
covenants and HOAs exist because of some of the attitudes expressed in this thread.

10+ pages is assured
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ever heard of Private property.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Its his private property. You probably do things that annoy him, he does have the right to have a camper on his property whether it is the law or not. I'm glad the city won't enforce it, it is bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want to enforce a code of conduct on a plot of land, buy the land.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The short of it is that my next door neighbor brings home the biggest fifth wheel trailer that I have ever seen and parks it in the driveway. He has all three slide outs open and power run to it.  I'm sure that its not going to be there forever but I and the other neighbors don't want to look at this thing. There is no HOA here but there is a covenant about parking trailers and boats on your property. My question is who enforces this? The city said it's not their gig. It's my wifes boss so talking to him is out.

I would expect this in California, but Ohio???
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Are you selling your house yourself or are you going through an agent? If you are with an agent ask your agent what to do.

You should talk to the offender and strike up a deal everytime there is an open house.
You may get your agent to do this too.

Cival court is the only way to solve the matter, but by the time this gets going you may have sold your house and your wifes job is at stake.

Maybe your neighbors are willing to contact him and you can step back because of your situation. Talk to your agent first then talk to your neighbor and work out a plan.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Then I hope you get your asking price...cause you'll need it to offset the lose of your wifes income. He will find out who told.

Really, dont be "that guy". Give him a couple of weeks.

My .02
Oh, HOA's are the debil
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One more thing, your property value is already established. It won't really "go down" because of the trailer.

If your neighbors are so offended, let them take it to court, you have too much to lose.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I owned some property in ohio and before buying asked about the covenants on the property.

What I was told is that it does have to be enforced by the court, this was in the country so there were no code enforcing folks to think about calling.

I was also told the best way to do it is to have all the neighbors around the problem neighbor in on the suit because one neighbor going after another neighbor has a lower chance of winning.

For your specific situation I would talk to the boss of your wife and tell him you are trying to sell your house and a prospectice buyer asked about the guy's trailer and the covenants on the property.

Don't get pushy or anything since putting this into the court system will take a long time and be a waste of money and time in my opinion.

Get the guy to say it is a one time thing and put a deadline on when it will be gone or something.

As far as everyone talking about private property, the guy signed his name to a contract.

What is your word worth if you give it?

I have no idea on if I would care about a neighbor doing this or not, the above is my opinion and I know I thought very carefully before buying 9.5 acres with some restrictions on the deed of the property.

Once all my neighbors started building around me I sold my place for a profit and moved.

My neighbors were well within their rights and I was not about to try and keep the surrounding views from changing since I did not own them and I had considered that possability when I bought my small place.

If you expect the view to never change, either own it or make sure it is protected land of some sort.

Trying to control others for your benefit is wrong.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you want to enforce a code of conduct on a plot of land, buy the land.

Best answer yet, so more polite than:
Don't be a ____________________________
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Hard for me to comment since that trailer probably costs more than the house I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clever.

I'll definitely have to try that one myself.

I thought exactly the same thing.  I will have to keep this in mind.

To the OP:

Seriously?

You come here asking for advice on how to try and exert control over another man and what he is doing ON HIS OWN PROPERTY?

It's not like he's burning PCB's or shooting dogs over there, right?

Wow...  

My opinion says leave him alone.  If you provoke him then he may *actively* try and screw with you selling your house.  I know I probably would, just to be an ass.

Hell, I'd probably take the muffler off of my lawn mower and go out and 'tune it up' in a wife-beater with a cold beer every time I saw any sales type activity going on at your house.  I'll bet things like that wouldn't sit well with potential buyers.

Besides, not every one associates having a camper with redneck "beverly hillbillies" like you apparently do.

Good luck.

-Out
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Give me a fucking break.  It is his property, let him park what ever he wants to park in his own damn drive way.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't like restrictive covenants any more than the rest of you, but some of you are real fuckers.

Roundup?  That's a crime.

Purposefully trying to keep the house from selling?  Them's fightin' words.

The fact is, you all should have checked for restrictive covenants BEFORE you bought.  It is your right not to purchase the property if you do not agree with the rules.

So much for personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So there's no easy out....

Great you want someone ELSE to piss your neihbor off becuase he want to use HIS property geese what a great human being you are
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1000000
You live in AMERICA son, man up.  Hell get your own camper and a real truck to pull it you may actually enjoy it!

What does living in America have to do with one's obligation to honor an agreement?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#37]
You don't want to look at it? Then don't look at it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A 5th wheel with three pull outs is not beverly hillbilly.
You just don't like it for whatever reason.

whine (hwīn, wīn)

v., whined, whin·ing, whines.

v.intr.
To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i used to believe this way.  i loathed the very thought of HOAs.  changed my mind this summer.

our summer home is in a valley just east of the pioneer mountains in montana.  at the time, there were only 2 other houses within eyeshot.  well, the area has grown somewhat--when i went back to work on the house this summer, the neighborhood had exploded.  the average lot size is 10 acres, and all the neighbors had a gentlemen's agreement to build as far from each other as possible, in order to maintain the wide open appearance of the valley.  

this summer, our neighbor to the north announced that, despite the agreement, he was going to build 4 spec houses on 5.5 acres immediately fronting the country road.  it seems that he had found a loophole, and wasn't bound by any covenants.  and the funny part is that, despite the evidence that the watershed can't accomodate this kind of density, we can't object on the basis of water rights until after the damage has been done.  all of the landowners are still fighting, but against long odds.

imagine that you found the perfect plot of land.  say it's on a pretty little lake nestled in the mountains.  now imagine that a strip mining company buys up all the surrounding land and destroys it.

trust me, you'll gain a new appreciation of land use rights.

to the OP, you need to have a legal entity to enforce the covenants.  this would be an HOA.  we're putting together rural zoning for our valley, and an HOA to enforce it.  in montana, you need 60% of the landowners within the tract to create a zoning ordinance.  best thing to do is talk to your neighbors first, then go to a lawyer.

respectfully I disagree about how I will feel

I have 71 acres, the guy who owns an adjacent 185 decided to cut his timber, I don't care, it is his.  cut it more power to him

I won't try and tell somebody else what to do with their property
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#40]
HOA's are about control.  Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top