Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2007 12:42:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
MEXICO CITY - Authorities are sounding the alarm about an influx of assault rifles, armor-piercing pistols and fragmentation grenades from the United States, weapons that they say are increasingly being used to kill police and soldiers fighting drug cartels.

ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. and Mexican law enforcement officials report a sharp increase in both the flow and firepower of U.S. weapons across the border. Particularly worrisome are assault rifles and "cop-killer" pistols.

Mexico has strict firearms laws, few gun stores and a mere 4,300 private licensed gun holders among its 105 million people. The United States, with nearly as many guns as people, has more than 100,000 licensed gun sellers, an industry that makes about 2.8 million small arms a year, and gun laws so loose that arms traffickers easily pick up any weapons they need.

Despite Mexico's gun control laws, criminals have long smuggled guns in from the United States.

"The problem is getting bigger because the illegal possession of arms, and their clandestine introduction to our country, combines with narcotics trafficking," said a government report to Mexico's Senate in June.

It said 99.4 percent of the weapons in the hands of Mexican criminals are suspected of coming from the United States.

At least 11,752 U.S.-sold guns have been found in Mexico since January 2003 — a tiny fraction of what remains on the streets, according to the report.

It did not give figures for previous years. But one indicator of a new gun glut is the fact that hit men drop their guns at crime scenes rather than be caught with them afterward, knowing they are easily replaced, a senior U.S. law enforcement official in Mexico said on condition of anonymity for security reasons.

Particularly worrisome are U.S. sales of Belgian-made FN-57 pistols. These fire bullets that "will defeat most body armor in military service around the world today," according to the Remtek weapons site on the Internet. They sell for $800-$1,000 each at dozens of gun stores within a day's drive of the border.

The weapons were unheard of in Mexico until they were used to kill at least a half dozen police officers this year. Among them were Mexico City policemen Felix Perez and Jose Rodriguez, slain in May when a car full of suspected mobsters fired FN-57s whose bullets sliced right through the officers' body armor.

In all, about 100 Mexican officers have been slain since President Felipe Calderon launched an ambitious nationwide crackdown on the drug trade this year.

"U.S. laws allow citizens to have guns that are authentically warlike," Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora complained at a recent news conference. "We have to find a more effective way of stopping these arms from flowing into the country and giving these gangs such significant firepower."

The U.S. Congress has so far resisted these calls. It's particularly easy to buy weapons at the thousands of U.S. gun shows held each year, where the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives stopped checking addresses of gun buyers after the National Rifle Association complained that sales plummeted.

Mexico also wants lawmakers in Washington to loosen restrictions on who can see gun-purchasing data, but that's unlikely given the strong opposition from the NRA.

The U.S. government is now restricted in many cases from sharing such information with local police departments, let alone the Mexican government, making it difficult to trace illegal guns or arrest weapons traffickers.

Mexican officials also complain that U.S. judges give firearms traffickers lighter sentences than drug dealers.

Mexican arms traffickers pay U.S. residents a profit of $20 to $200 per weapon to make purchases, the U.S. official said. The guns are then hidden in car compartments, truckloads of consumer goods and even small planes, crossing into Mexico in the same vehicles that carry cocaine, marijuana and heroin north, the official said.

The ATF says it is fighting the problem by sending more agents to the border and giving Mexico a pack of gun-sniffing Labrador retrievers this year.

U.S. officials also put blame on Mexico, saying officials rarely search southbound traffic along the border. But Mexican customs agents who do are often given a grim choice: "plata o plomo" — the silver of a bribe, or the lead of a bullet.

In February, Mexican customs agent Jorge Santillan seized a truck crossing from Brownsville, Texas, to Matamoros, Mexico, carrying a grenade launcher and 17 grenades along with 18 rifles and 17 pistols. The shipment allegedly belonged to the Zetas, a feared group of former soldiers-turned-hitmen.

Days later, the agent was shot to death with a Kalashnikov assault rifle.

Once inside Mexico, weapons are sold in black-market shops for double the U.S. price.

Mexico City gun enthusiast Daniel Aguilera described illegally buying a submachine gun from vendors in the capital's Tepito barrio who let him test the merchandise on a stack of cans in a tenement building.

"Buying a gun in Mexico is a piece of cake," Aguilera said. "You can get your hands on one in a couple of hours, if you know the right
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just supplying the guns Mexicans are unwilling to sell
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]

"U.S. laws allow citizens to have guns that are authentically warlike," Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora complained at a recent news conference. "We have to find a more effective way of stopping these arms from flowing into the country and giving these gangs such significant firepower."

Then stop fucking opposing our border fence/security proposals you fucking worthless hunk of living tissue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering the videos i've seen online of mexican fights...Last time i checked, we didn't see over the counter sales of RPGs and the like.

Sence when are hand grenades sold at any gun store? What the heck?

Most likely was written by a democrat in California.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Those FN pistols are expensive.  An old CZ-52 works just fine.

Or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Then stop fucking opposing our border fence/security proposals you fucking worthless hunk of living tissue.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
This border story kind of makes me happy.  Not so much that drug runners have the killer Five-seveN, but that Mexico is complaining about the border security.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Considering the videos i've seen online of mexican fights...Last time i checked, we didn't see over the counter sales of RPGs and the like.

Sence when are hand grenades sold at any gun store? What the heck?

Most likely was written by a democrat in California. Paul Helmke.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Payback is a bitch.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
sounds like an attempt to divert attention from Mexico's drug cartel war...

fuck 'em...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]

So the liberals made a deal with Mexico to keep taking the illegals if Mexico would help them ban guns?  That's what it looks like anyway.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Trade ya!

Stop sending mexicans, and we will stop sending guns.

This is idea everyone can get behind.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
This is probably the start of some scheme by the libs to use some "our lax gun laws are affecting other countries" bullshit to try to justify trying to take our guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, it's a fair trade.  They send over dope, we send back guns.

Don't like it? Stop your people and your dope dealers at the border and we'll do the same with our "cop killers".
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Mehico can kizz my azz!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Fragmentation grenades are plentiful enough in the US that they are causing an influx of them into Mexico?  That is news to me.

If they can't access trace data, how can they blame this on the US?  What proof do they have the guns actually came from here?  11,000 verified guns in Mexico since 2003 have come from the US so they are using that as the basis for blaming the US for 99% of them.  Besides, it is not like there are alot of other countries nearby that have had revolutions or rebel groups in them in recent history that could sell guns in Mexico.  Also, the Mexican government had better not ever get the gun purchaser data they are wanting from the US.  Knowing those assholes, they would end up with the information being distributed among the masses and every criminal that comes into our country will have a nice shopping list.

I will start caring about MEXICAN criminals using guns to commit crimes in MEXICO when they start caring about the crimes that their illegal citizens commit in the United States and stop encouraging their people to come here.

Quoted:
U.S. officials also put blame on Mexico, saying officials rarely search southbound traffic along the border. But Mexican customs agents who do are often given a grim choice: "plata o plomo" — the silver of a bribe, or the lead of a bullet.  

Is it our problem that their police are so corrupt?  It extends beyond their customs agents.  If they really wanted to do something, they would actually work on rooting out the corruption in law enforcement and make law enforcement viable for them again.  Then maybe that way customs agents will not get killed for doing their jobs if the criminals do not know that they can bribe their way out of the murder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck Mexico. We should start deporting the illegals here and hand them a single shot rifle and a banoleer of ammo an tell them to sort their own shithole country out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]
All fucking bullshit. There's no fucking way that a pistol as expensive as a Five-seveN is going to be in Mexico in any appreciable numbers. CZ-52 is way more likely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I love listening to the corrupt bitch....

I mean we are talking about armed criminals among serfs; aren't we???
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#21]
buyback deal?

2fer1?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
should have a rebuttal article

U.S. Worried About Cop Killers From Mexico

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
STOP BITCHING AND HELP BUILD THE FUCKING WALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just an attempt to fuel the disarm Americans so they can walk in and take over !
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Hahaha, "cop killers."

Last I checked a hit from any decent rifle round will defeat most police body armor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, if they didn't sell their own gun's then they'd be okay.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Mexico also wants lawmakers in Washington to loosen restrictions on who can see gun-purchasing data, but that's unlikely given the strong opposition from the NRA.

The U.S. government is now restricted in many cases from sharing such information with local police departments, let alone the Mexican government, making it difficult to trace illegal guns or arrest weapons traffickers.

Darn 'em.  I would really like the Mexican police to be able to steal to order.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Stop sending your criminals here and we'll stop sending guns there...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Yet another reason to secure the border.

good for everybody who respects the law.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
OK pres, I'll trade you 18 illegals for 1 Five-seveN!

ICE arrests alleged illegals

The El Cazador Mexican food restaurants in Manhattan and Junction City remain closed after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) personnel Thursday arrested 18 of the restaurants' employees for being in the U.S. illegally.

It's the second time illegal aliens have been arrested at El Cazador. In August 2004, 14 employees were taken into customdy and eventually deported to Mexico. The restaurants' owner also was arrested on misdemeanor charges of employing an illegal immigrant.

On Thursday, the same restaurant owner, Santiago Paolino-Hernandez, was served an arrest warrant. He was indicted Aug. 12 for hiring illegal aliens and using them for private financial gain; officials would not say where he is being held, or whether a bond has been set. According to Carl Rusnok, an ICE spokesman at the Central Region office in Dallas, Santiago is a permanent resident in the U.S.

Immigration officials were prepared to issue a second arrest warrant for Santiago's brother, Luis Palomino-Hernandez, but he is believed to be in Mexico, according to Rusnok.

The specific status of the 18 restaurant employees — 17 men and one woman — is still being investigated, which means names and ages aren't yet available. Rusnok said the illegals could be returned to Mexico "within days" or not be deported for several months.

The workers were arrested after ICE officials interviewed them as they entered the two restaurants Thursday. Rusnok wouldn't discuss the particulars of the interviews, only that it was determined that the employees were not legally authorized to work in the U.S.

What really sucks is that El Caz is our best Mexican place in town, the food is awesome and fast and the staff is very friendly.

Oh well, fuck em'.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#31]

fragmentation grenades from the United States

Thats way over the top
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#32]
They should build a fence. A BIG fence.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
OK pres, I'll trade you 18 illegals for 1 Five-seveN!

Seriously, man. If INS starts giving out FiveseveNs for each 18 illegal Mexicans fingered, I'm gonna be FN's new poster boy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
MEXICO CITY - Authorities are sounding the alarm about an influx of assault rifles, armor-piercing pistols and fragmentation grenades from the United States, weapons that they say are increasingly being used to kill police and soldiers fighting drug cartels.

...meanwhile US police officers and citizens are being killed by ILLEGAL MEXICANS that the mexican government is HELPING into our country...all while corrupt Mexican government officials are in league with gangbangers and drug dealers assisting in the undermining of our society.

...and they have the nerve to complain about "assault rifles" from the US? Maybe the bad guys down there are getting all their f*cking weapons from the same place they get all their drugs and all the underage prostitutes they ship into the US.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...meanwhile US police officers and citizens are being killed by ILLEGAL MEXICANS that the mexican government is HELPING into our country...all while corrupt Mexican government officials are in league with gangbangers and drug dealers assisting in the undermining of our society.

...and they have the nerve to complain about "assault rifles" from the US? Maybe the bad guys down there are getting all their f*cking weapons from the same place they get all their drugs and all the underage prostitutes they ship into the US.

Just a thought.

And on that note, since when do US citizens have jack shit of an effect on the supply of frag grenades? Is it legal to purchase them now or something? Because there's a crate of M67s somewhere with my name on it if so.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#37]
You guys are missing the big picture. (get your tin foil in place)

Both Mexico and Canada are pushing the US to tighten up their gun laws.
The reason is that they want the whole of north america to be one country. (El Norte)
This is mearly another move in the larger chess game of the New World Order. I hate it, you hate it, but what will we do about it?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Funny part is impling they are "cop killers" is not a bad thing in Mexico as the police depts are usually as dirty as the carties themselves.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck Mexico. Tell them to build a wall. Oh , and they can have all their criminals back too.

I'm sure the membership of Arfcom can find a good use for all those homeless guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm quite sure they could prove the guns were made here in the US but proving that the weapons were smuggled in from the US is baloney.

The good thing to know is there is at least 1 firearm for every American and that number continues to grow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I find their numbers pretty amusing.  I remember driving through CD Victoria in 99 - saw tons of  m16 rifles (tons of security on the rooftops).  I guess those did not count, as the private security was probably just off duty corrupt cops.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy shit, how are the Mexicans affording ammo if we barely can?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#43]
HAHA....WOW, that was good for a laugh. I'm glad I wasn't drinking milk.

Hell, the Mexican police down there sell "illegal" firearms. Mexico has super strict firearms laws on the books (no enforcement), but the criminals are armed to the teeth with full auto military and police weapons that fall off the back of trucks and end up  for sale on the black market. I've been to Mexico many, many times and I know for a fact that in the back of certain shops they sell pretty much anything you want including RPGs.

A shit load of firearms came up from Central America as well after the whole serious of wars down there in the 80s.  So, hearing that they "fear" American firearms is pretty funny.  Hell, I'd rather have what they have down there any day of the week than what we are allowed legally to have up here.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought.

And on that note, since when do US citizens have jack shit of an effect on the supply of frag grenades? Is it legal to purchase them now or something? Because there's a crate of M67s somewhere with my name on it if so.

Where in the hell do I get an armor piercing pistol?  If I throw my Kimber hard enough, it might penetrate one layer of sheet rock.

Oh, and Fuck Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well around here the girl scouts sell them with thin mints, so I assume that's what the mexican government nitwits are complaining about.

Because with the strict law enforcement and general law and order society that exists in Mexico, we all know the bad guys HAVE to be smuggling highly controlled weapons in from the US rather than from any number of South and Central American states containing elements of international criminal gangs like MS-13 and various paramilitary guerilla forces.

Clearly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
hey maybe if they did not get all pissy about the border being secured these guns would not be getting over there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#47]
They ain't building no wall. That's not their plan. They might throw up a few miles, or more likely a few feet, but there is nver gonna be a wall. Not ever!

Once the illegals get legal, and they will, we are going to see a Johnstown Flood al la Mexican.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh, the irony.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...meanwhile US police officers and citizens are being killed by ILLEGAL MEXICANS that the mexican government and the U.S. government are both HELPING into our country...all while corrupt Mexican and U.S. government officials are in league with gangbangers and drug dealers assisting in the undermining of our society.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Tell them we'll make a deal, they stop the cop killing illegal immigrants and we will stop the Mexican cop killing guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top