Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2007 9:44:57 AM EDT
I'm convinced the better strategy is to hold the dog, keep it quiet, until the intruder tries to make entry.  What are your thoughts?  I'll try to come up with a poll.

1. if you let the dog out and he bites, kills someone that as it turns out had good intentions, or thought he had some right to be there (meter reader, wrong house, etc.) then you just got sued, criminally prosecuted, all for nothing.

2. if you wait until the intruder makes entry, you have a reasonable fear for your safety that may justify use of deadly force (the dog, and a firearm) plus you may live in a state that has a castle doctrine.

3. let the dog out, and the BG will use him for target practice.  Hold him and the dog will have superior terrain in close quarters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
that would mean that as long as the person didnt come in your home...he was free to be on your land ..

no go .  

edit/....   IBTP
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you have a dog in your house in the first place?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
that would mean that as long as the person didnt come in your home...he was free to be on your land ..

no go .  

edit/....   IBTP

you folks in Texas enjoy liberal laws dealing with defense of property - in most states, you can' t use deadly force in defense of property.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got two protection trained GSDs for my home. I was told by the trainers to keep them close and never send them far because bad guy had time to respond if he had a gun or knife
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no go .  

edit/....   IBTP

you folks in Texas enjoy liberal laws dealing with defense of property - in most states, you can' t use deadly force in defense of property.

Even in Texas, you can't use deadly force for trespassing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Single intruder, let the dog have fun.  Bonus points if you video the experience and post it for ARFCOM.  Criminals/trespassers + dogs = fun.  

My favorite car chases in SoCal were always the ones that ended with the K9 units and the screams/tears "call it off! call it off! aaaaaahhh!".
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no go .  

edit/....   IBTP

Correct..  

FordGuy..

you still dont let the guy on your land with out being confronted.. use of deadly force is not required to tell the guy to get lost ..

i dont understand your post.. wait till he comes in ..

ok..  i reread your edited post..   worried about being sued..  sadly   thats a valid point..  

trespassers will be confronted :  99.99 will leave... .0000001 will not ..  

deal with that when it happens.. cant let them just climb the fence cause your afriad to get sued..  < not you..   people in general >

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be worried about accidently killing my dog in case I needed to fire to defend myself. I'd rather not have the dog involved if at all possible.

Anyone remember this video?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Oh you sure can.  Remember the homeowner who shot and killed the bum that kept going through his garbage?  He shot the bum from his second story window.  He did not go to prison.  I've tried looking for the story on the internet for several years without success.  It happened in Dallas or an adjacent town to Dallas.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no go .  

edit/....   IBTP

Roger.  Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd be worried about accidently killing my dog in case I needed to fire to defend myself. I'd rather not have the dog involved if at all possible.

HOLY SH*T  Never saw that one!  That is F'ed up big time!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh you sure can.  Remember the homeowner who shot and killed the bum that kept going through his garbage?  He shot the bum from his second story window.  He did not go to prison.  I've tried looking for the story on the internet for several years without success.  It happened in Dallas or an adjacent town to Dallas.

I don't know the details or the circumstances of the case you're talking about, but I can guarantee that trespassing wasn't the excuse the homeowner used.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, to make matters worse, that dipshit had a sandal in his hand.

A police dog was killed because some moron decided to try and hold the police at bay... with a sandal. Cops didn't know that, though. Couldn't have known it.

Had he survived, he shouldn't been charged with whatever he did along with causing the death of the dog.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
i live in a rural area so it may not apply to your question but here i know all the neighbors dogs ... if they turned them on me they'd lick me to death ...

one neighbor is elderly and has three giant shnauzers ...
big 90 lb babies if you know them but holy hell on strangers ...

i own a particularly bitchy american bulldog that has never barked at any of my friends or any kids but has never let a stranger out of their car ....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't fault him under those particular facts and circumstances (scruffy looking guy climbing unannounced over a back fence).  If the dog had bitten him, I would have tried to get photos of the scruffy looking guy to document (1) the extent of any injuries and (2) his appearance . . .
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd hold the dog in.  I'm being sued right now because some asshat reached in MY yard through MY fence and got himself bit.

Remember, you dont have to be right to sue, you can sue and lose, but still cost the other party a  mint in legal fees.  Plus, there is the risk that your dog might get taken and put down as vicious.  I love my dog, and I know he will protect me, but I am not putting him in a situation I can avoid.

Now if the dog is already outside, well, have at it.  I know my dog provides ample warning he is there before you enter the property.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
if my dog will just bark and make noise,  I let him out. If I'm SURE he'll go for the throat,  I hold him.  

It might be a goblin but chances are it's some dumbass cutting across your lawn.  I don't want a lawsuit for getting some crackhead chewed up.

If it's multiples, and I can TELL they are up to no good,  I unleash the hounds.

As sad as it is,  I'd rather they be shooting at my dog instead of me,  while I try to whittle them down.

A dog running around and even getting shot,  will add to the fog of war, hopefully giving me time to reduce their numbers a lot.

I've been against having a dog cause we live in town but with the increase in home invasion robberys  I'm thinking now might be the time.

My wife will never stand a chance in an attack without either my boys home,  or a dog.  And the boys are gone frequently.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, to make matters worse, that dipshit had a sandal in his hand.

A police dog was killed because some moron decided to try and hold the police at bay... with a sandal. Cops didn't know that, though. Couldn't have known it.

Had he survived, he shouldn't been charged with whatever he did along with causing the death of the dog.

I agree, they have a difficult job.  

Definitely a moron, asking for it.  Although the F/A fire was too much, unless it was several officers firing, hard to know from the video.  You pull out what they think is a gun and claim it is it might as well be!  Unfortunate about the pup, hope they give him honors, he does what he's told when he is told.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top