Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 6:46:43 AM EDT
...or is this anthrax thing seemingly a whole lot of effort with little result?  I'm in no way belittling the experiences of those infected or the man in Florida who died, but Anthrax was placed in the same categories as plague and smallpox; its virulence would sweep the population.  It doesn't seem to be happening, thank God.

My only guesses are that we are looking for it, or that the strains thus far released aren't as virulent.  Anybody?

shooter
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It seems to me that we don't really know how hard they are trying.  They obviously aren't using the stuff on a massive scale... yet...
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#2]

it could be just a nice diversion for something else. as it seems to be horribly ineffective so far. considering what happened with the wtc, the anthrax envelopes almost seem silly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
It seems more to me that they are carefully choosing their targets.  If they really wanted to get an area why put some one a keyboard.  Not a very good way for a mass infection.  But then again I could be a raving lunatic too [%|]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like they're going after specific targets as well... I just saw on MEET THE PRESS yesterday morning that an anthrax containing envelope was sent to TOM BrokeJaw!

Seems if THEY were really trying to instill "Terror" by use of Anthrax... the average citizen would be getting it.

The message I'm getting is that if you dont work for a high profile company or if youre not a high profile person yourself... you dont need to worry too much.

I'm not wishing this to happen upon anyone... I'm just saying when it appears that randomly anyone anywhere could be exposed to it... I'll start worry a whole lot more... right now, my pucker factor regarding Anthrax is about a 2.

M.

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

it could be just a nice diversion for something else. as it seems to be horribly ineffective so far. considering what happened with the wtc, the anthrax envelopes almost seem silly.
View Quote

One wonders why they didn't try a bulk mailing.  I also think it's either testing the waters, or a diversion for something else.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
My only guesses are that we are looking for it, or that the strains thus far released aren't as virulent. Anybody?
View Quote

Anthrax isn't a contagious disease like influenza or tuberculosis.  E.g., if I inhale a bunch of anthrax spores at 09:00 Monday and then cough in your face at 17:00 Tuesday, you won't get anthrax.  So the only way to spread the disease is to increase the number of people inhaling the spores or having them infect broken skin.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell you the truth, I believe that this is just some poor individual(s) using the current state of heighted emotions to basically increase his own feelings of importance and is not related to the terrorist attacks of late.

Hopefully, if I am correct, the law-enforcement agencies will find these individuals and demonstrate to them the folly of their ways (perhaps send the BATF to their homes).
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tell you the truth, I believe that this is just some poor individual(s) using the current state of heighted emotions to basically increase his own feelings of importance and is not related to the terrorist attacks of late.

Hopefully, if I am correct, the law-enforcement agencies will find these individuals and demonstrate to them the folly of their ways (perhaps send the BATF to their homes).
View Quote
I agree.  I cannot imagine that the terrorists would attack their staunch allies, the media.  They NEED the media to spread the terror.  

But wouldn't it be nice if the actually GOT Dan Rather?

However, I do think it's some domestic Ted Kaczynski clone using Anthrax rather than dynamite, and he's got a boner for the media rather than industrialists.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

That seems a distinct possibility.  My question is [i]where[/i] are "they" getting the anthrax from?  Powdered anthrax is difficult and very, very expensive to produce.  

Of course, if some domestic terrorist were operating with limited resources and sending out, well, 'second-rate' anthrax spores, this might account for the apparently low virulence and low incidence rates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top