Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 11:26:44 AM EDT
Here's a tip for dog owners in case one of your dogs ever gets lost...

(of course your dog should always be wearing a collar with some information on it that can lead someone back to you, but that isn't a sure thing since most folks won't approach a stray dog to look at it's collar.)

1. Take a digital pic of all your dogs
2. Printout the pic with a note about the dog being lost and your contact information (print a few copies)
3. MOST IMPORTANT STEP - give the pic to a MAILMAN

One of my dogs, an Australian Shephard got off his tie line a few days ago and I took the next day off work to look for him and I was (thank God) able to find him again. I found a good pic of him and used Word to add a note with my phone number and printed a few copies. I gave copies to several people out walking and such, but the key was giving a copy to the mail-man. Or in my case, a mail-LADY. I gave her a copy and 20 minutes later I had my dog back. He was 2 miles away on a street I'd probably never have thought to drive down to look for him.

You know how they become like family, and having one lost can be a very depressing ordeal. Hope this tip helps someone.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
By mistake I locked my dog outside one day. When I noticed he was gone I opened the door and called him. He was laying in the driveway soaking up sun. Good dogs don't bail on you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
we have an electronic chip in our dog.

I went to the dog pound with her and asked them to tell me who she belongs to.

They gave me the information and then asked me for ID before I could go any where with her.

Any dog pound that picks dogs up scans them right there and then brings them back to owner.

Florida, no Collar or chip that juice them on the spot.

Chip your dog. Its cheap and very well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

HUH? What do you mean "juice them on the spot?"
With what, a cattle prod?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HUH? What do you mean "juice them on the spot?"
With what, a cattle prod?

With carbon monoxide.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
To clarify... take several digital pics of your dog from both sides, head-on, of unique markings, etc.  Make sure your dog looks like your dog, and not a blur that could be just about any dog, and a few cats as well!  I constantly see lost dog posters that have terrible pictures.  And that's because "it's all they had".

Chips - Lots of people think, "Why should I get a chip?  My Fluffy is an indoor dog/cat"  Answer: Katrina.

Having a tag with at least the dog's name and a phone number is another cheap bit of insurance.  Sure, the collar might come off, but it might not, too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Good idea. Never thought about it but mail"people" do get around a bit.
<------<<  He's got a tag, and a chip, and a shock collar to keep him in the enclosed yard.  Of course I've got photos.   Thanks.

Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top