Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 10:30:36 AM EDT
Dang, those crocs must have been hungry.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6945918.stm

An Australian rancher has described how he spent seven days up a tree in remote bushland to escape crocodiles.
David George, 53, said he was forced to take such drastic action after he accidentally strayed into a crocodile-infested area of Queensland.

He only had two meat sandwiches to keep him going, as crocodiles moved beneath his tree each night until his rescue.

Mr George said he decided it was safer to hold out for a rescue team than try to make a run for it.

His problems began after he fell off his horse while out in the northern Australia outback.

If I hadn't seen the crocs circling me... I would have made a push for it. But I knew the safest thing was for me to sit tight and wait
David George
Dazed and bleeding, he climbed back on his horse and hoped it would lead him home. It was only when he regained his senses he realised he had been taken deep into a crocodile-infested swamp.

"I had to get off the horse and fall on the long 8ft (2.4m) high swamp grass to clear a path, when I fell straight into a crocodile nest," he told Brisbane's Courier Newspaper.

"That spooked me. There were some monstrous tracks and the big ones are never far from the nest.

"I couldn't go back, it was too far and too dangerous, so I headed to the nearest high ground and stayed there, hoping someone would come and find me before the crocs did."

'Red eyes'

Mr George, manager of the Silver Plains cattle station near Coen in Queensland's far north, said he was stalked each night by two crocodiles that would sit at the bottom of the tree staring at him.

"All I could see was two sets of red eyes below me and all night I had to listen to a big bull croc bellowing a bit further out," he said.

Although Mr George's two sandwiches ran out after three days, he was able to get running water during the day and knew rescuers were looking for him as he could see helicopters in the air above his tree.

"If I hadn't seen the crocs circling me, and if I hadn't fallen into the croc nest, I would have made a push for it. But I knew the safest thing was for me to sit tight and wait," he said.

A chocolate bar, given to him by rescuers after being winched to safety, "was like a gourmet meal," he told the newspaper.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
dupe and Bear would have drunk his own urine to survive
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Not one word about the horse I notice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not one word about the horse I notice.

Yeah, I was wondering about Mr. Ed too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have made a game out of pissing on the crocs.

Oh yeah? You like that huh? Fucker! Heres some for your buddy.  Ahhhhhhh!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Ace Ventura would have jumped in the swamp and whupped 'em bare handed.

*GLUB-GLUB-GLUB!!!!*
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Another victim of gun control.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]
crikey
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

seriously, in the "out-back" - croc country ... without a long gun...

stupid...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

stupid...

Guns are banned in Australia.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if, while in that tree,  Mr George pondered how silly it was to stand in line for hours to turn his guns in along with all of his fellow castrated Aussies.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Although Mr George's two sandwiches ran out after three days, he was able to get running water during the day a

How'd he get running water during the day?  Did the tree have a faucet?

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess suing the AUS.gov for reckless endangerment is out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

stupid...

Guns are banned in Australia.

They are not.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

stupid...

A gun didn't help ol' Edgar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top