Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 5:30:15 AM EDT

The house of c-rock got flooded this weekend. Got about 1 inch of water in the basement.  Ruined the carpet, thats about it.  It came quick!  

The leaves from the honeysuckle trees is what did it. I raked last week, but the rains took the rest off the trees! They clogged my gutters, which over flowed the water. My basement has a walk-out, and the drain there got clogged too.  Then the water just pushed agaist the door, and came thru underneath it thru the crack.  Also the sump pumps could not keep up either. The street was flooded also, drain was clogged, and the ground was soaked.   I think some of the leaves got into the sump pump area, and clogged it too.  I grabbed a hose, disconnected one of them, and ran it to the slop sink.  Water level went down in the pit.  

Well, after 12 hours of cleaning, moving, etc. Also $500 deductable to pay the cleaning crew, I am back at work, time to rest up, before going back home to rake, and clean more stuff.  

So, who else survived the mini-flood of 2001?   After the bombings, anthrax scares, and this, I need a vacation!  Time to head to the pit, and do some blasting!  

One more thing, and this is kinda interesting. The Guys that came to do the clean-up, one guy was polish. Started talking to the guy, cause he seemed different.  Came in wearing a Cammie Field Jacket. Watch was attached to the shoulder of the jacket.   American flag on one side, a patch on the other. It had two swords crossed in it, with something pointing up thru the middle.  
Anyways, get to talking to the guy, politics and such. Come to find out he was in the polish army, and was special forces.  Was in Kosovo, and that area one time.  Thing that really interest me,

WAS HIS UN ID CARD!!
Showed it to me.  He also worked in the US ARMY too.  Got out a while ago. Said our government gave him a call to come back in, but he turned them down. Gots a wife and kid.

I shit you not.
c-rock

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry to hear about the flood, but glad you didnt have too much damage. from what i hear, flooding is some of the worst possible damage to clean and repair.

btw, what is a UN id card? i'm not sure i've heard of them. is it for military personnel only?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]

btw, what is a UN id card? i'm not sure i've heard of them. is it for military personnel only?
View Quote

UNITED NATIONS Identification Card.

c-rock
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#4]

i knew it was a united nations card. i just wondered what it was for, and who they are issued to.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a basement walk-out too.  My house was empty for about 3 years before I bought it.  The leaves had covered over the drain, and water ran under the door just like you described.  Unfortunately, the high water mark was about 23" above the carpet which was glued on to the concrete.  Talk about moldy! Even after removing the carpet, and the panelling and the insulation, I've still had a dehumidifier running almost 2 years straight.  What a mess.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i knew it was a united nations card. i just wondered what it was for, and who they are issued to.
View Quote

From what I heard, when you are involved in a UN peacekeeping mission, you get one issued.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey - I'm ready for a trip to the pit.  I think I need to brush up on my accuracy though - slow fire at the 100 yd.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey - I'm ready for a trip to the pit.  I think I need to brush up on my accuracy though - slow fire at the 100 yd.

Steve
View Quote

How about we meet up at Bristol?  Closer, little cheaper, and they have a 200 yrd range also.
I need to play with my romainan .22, and my Ak
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
.  "If thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, if thy eye offend thee, pluck it out, if thy tree shall flood thy basement, cut the MF'r down and burn it in thine fireplace."  (Paraphrase from the Bible.)
View Quote

Gee - that SOUNDS familiar, but I can't palce it. Must be onena them new fangled translations. [:D]

C-rock -

Glad to hear damage was minimal - if you can call a couple K in carpet "minimal."

One of the many reasons that I...will never again....have a house ....with a  basement.

(pause for dramatic effect)

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
C-rock -

Glad to hear damage was minimal - if you can call a couple K in carpet "minimal."

One of the many reasons that I...will never again....have a house ....with a  basement.

(pause for dramatic effect)

View Quote

Thanks,
Carpet is carpet, I was more worried about the guns and ammo! [;)]
Basements are nice to have, especially when the weather is in the 90's around here, can go down there and keep cool.   Besides, that is my bunker, if SHTF. [;)]
c-rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top