Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2007 5:34:20 AM EDT
I see regular folks now walking around the grocery store, the mall, just about everywhere with a damn ipod in their ear.  Recently I met with a landowner who wanted to show me his timber.  It involved a 10 minute hike along an old woods road.  He simply couldn't make the hike without his ipod.  I mean good grief.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not unlike the Sony Walkman Era.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

Or - think about it - the late 70s and all of the 80s. Think boomboxes.

At least you can't hear the iPods!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Ipods suck.  Regular MP3 players that take AAA batteries are preferable.

I just bought a few,  "COBY"  1 Gig for $25.00 each.  They rock.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#4]
What you got against people listening to music??  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The good things about the ipod is that you can use your radio to play it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Same thing with cell phones.

People are deathly afraid of being by themselves with their own thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone noticed the amount of people who can't live a minute without an ipod cell phone in their ear?  

Sorry about the hijack.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a continuing trend towards life without any break from stimuli.

There always has to be some sort of noise somewhere.

Go to a quiet place and turn off everything and listen to the silence.  It feels strange to have no noise at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Has anyone noticed the amount of people who can't live a minute without an ipod cell phone in their ear?  

Sorry about the hijack.

Ha, I call that "Dork Jewelry"
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

...and it sounds like shit.

Get a stereo with an AUX input.

Quoted:

No shit. I listen to SO much more music now that I have an iPod. I consider it to be a positive.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is a continuing trend towards life without any break from stimuli.

There always has to be some sort of noise somewhere.
I guess that is why so many people get married.........
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Or - think about it - the late 70s and all of the 80s. Think boomboxes.

At least you can't hear the iPods!

You can on half the tards who wal around here.  They are deaf, or a going to be.  Who would want to disconnect themselves from going on around them?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I see it all the time around campus and at work.  Its slightly annoying when trying to speak to someone that has plugs in their ears blasting music.  

I have nothing against those that listen to music, but  do you really have to have it playing every waking minute?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I see it all the time around campus and at work.  Its slightly annoying when trying to speak to someone that has plugs in their ears blasting music.  

I have nothing against those that listen to music, but  do you really have to have it playing every waking minute?

I love the people with a earbud in one ear, and a cellphone stuck to the other.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't understand the people that drive while listening to them.  It used to be if you were wearing headphones and driving, you'd get your ass pulled over in a matter of minutes.  Not any more.  I guess the police are too busy deporting illegals.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a stereo dashboard with an AUX input.

Quoted:

No shit. I listen to SO much more music now that I have an iPod. I consider it to be a positive.

Fix'd.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]

I see a Condition White potential victim.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ipods suck.  Regular MP3 players that take AAA batteries are preferable.

I just bought a few,  "COBY"  1 Gig for $25.00 each.  They rock.

Nothing like an OPINION to shit on a good thread........
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I listen to my iPod alot.  I am usually listening to audio books though.  I've "read" more books since I got my iPod than I ever would have without it.

Cleaning guns?  Audio book.

Yard work?  Audio book.

Hike in the woods?  No way.  Enjoy the woods.

Riding light rail to work?  Audio book.

Mark.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yep. Completely oblivious. Plus they will be deaf when they get older.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I have two Ipods.  A older shuffle, and a newer 80 gig video.  They both sit in my desk at work.  I think the last time I listened to them was a couple weeks ago.  They're nice to have when I feel like it, but other than work and home, I've never taken them anywhere but the gym and on planes.  I guess I'm doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
The only time I really use my iPod (outside of hooking it into my car's audio system) is at work.
MWF I spend 4-5 hours hand watering fairways.
No shade, no company/people to talk to.
I need something to entertain myself or I'll go nuts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#23]
anytime im in front of the computer,  i have music going

1. radio
2. mp3
3. music videos
4. youtube

anytime im in the car,  

1.cds
2. radio
3.  me singing.  ok im kidding on that one

outdoor activites
mt biking, hiking, volleyball, whatever

no music,  im too competitive
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a stereo with an AUX input.

Do they even make an adapter that works worth a crap?  My wife just got an ipod, which is suprisingly cool to use.  I got a FM modulator thing for it and it sounded like shit.  My next car will have the input for it, but for now, I'd like something that works well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#25]
A buddy of mine says he has a hard time meeting girls at the gym because of the MP3 player being stuck in all their ears.

I use mine at the gym...other than that, I could care less who and how many people use them.

If you are listening to music, its a good cheance that means I wont have to hear you speak.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#26]
A man who looks forward would seriously consider going to school and becoming an audiologist or an Otolaryngologist(ear, nose, throat doctor.)  With all those loud ass cell phones and iPods, business is bound to pick up.  They've always got an article in the news about how kids are going deaf from all that crap because their hearing tests are coming back worse than a generation or two ago.  If you're stupid enough to live with that crap glued to you 24/7, fuck you, you deserve what you get.  

I PWN PAGE TWO!!!!1111!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
He simply couldn't make the hike without his ipod.  I mean good grief.
If you're talking to someone and that person has the ipod in his ear, I see what you're saying. That's rude.

I have a phone with "V Cast" from Verizon(music player) and I always shut down the player when I'm talking to someone, and take the earbuds out of my ear.  

I wouldn't mind having a Zune-bigger capacity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#28]
There are IPods that don't sound like shit.

RedWine modded IPod.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a walkman I wear when working out.

Will never own an ipod unless they are $39.95
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't noticed this at all. Of course, I'm almost never in a city, so...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, and I've seen a couple step out into traffic.

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Beat me to it. I have no idea how these dumbasses let themselves walk around completely oblivious to their surroundings.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Hearing is the second part to your personal radar system, and sight being the first. I don't like not know what is possibly behind me when I'm walking around.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Funny how every left-wing retard, global-warming dunce has one.  Could be how the virus is spread.  Really, you could probably kill 3/4 of the people in the typical Portland crowd and nobody would notice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Worse than the ipod is the goddamn bluetooth earpieces for cell phones.  You look like a fr00t talking to no one, and I don't really have much interest in you and Lil' Pookie's conversation about your plans to hit da club later, yo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You should see the peeps in Boston, MA.  It's almost like you have to have an iPod to get on the Subway.

When I went up a couple months ago, I think i was the only person without one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#37]
When I see someone walking around wearing a bluetooth headset, I really want to slap them silly. Why don't they just get the implant?

Colonel Hurtz
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it. I have no idea how these dumbasses let themselves walk around completely oblivious to their surroundings.

+1 wake up sheeple the Matrix has you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Funny how every left-wing retard, global-warming dunce has one.  Could be how the virus is spread.  Really, you could probably kill 3/4 of the people in the typical Portland crowd and nobody would notice.

And I'll help ya.  But I'll have my iPod on listening to The Dark Tower while I'm doin' it!

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
OMG!  Technology!

FWIW, I own:

an iPod
a PDA cellphone
a bluetooth headset for the cell phone
bluetooth headphones for the iPod

Know why?  Because I can.  I enjoy using them (handsfree cell phone use in the car, when I'm working on the computer, etc is very convenient).  

Now what I don't understand is the amount of people that own AR15s or other guns.  Man, what are they thinking?!  They can't do anything without CCWing a pistol, or having a rifle with them (or at home)?

Tell me more!

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I went through a 1GB flash Sandisk player, then a 30gb Creative, before getting my iPod.  It's the standard for a reason.  Plus Itunes works fine (I rip with EAC), it's great having 20 days' worth of music to choose from at work.  I have an AUX input in my car, I wouldn't even buy an mp3 player until I got that deck.

I also have every episode of Family Guy and Futurama on it.

jeff
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
A man who looks forward would seriously consider going to school and becoming an audiologist or an Otolaryngologist(ear, nose, throat doctor.)  With all those loud ass cell phones and iPods, business is bound to pick up.  They've always got an article in the news about how kids are going deaf from all that crap because their hearing tests are coming back worse than a generation or two ago.  If you're stupid enough to live with that crap glued to you 24/7, fuck you, you deserve what you get.  

I PWN PAGE TWO!!!!1111!!!!

No doubt.  I love seeing those earbuds in noisy places--trains, planes, cars, etc.  I wear earplugs at every opportunity, while they're cracking the volume to get above the background.  For crying out loud, at least drop a couple $$$ and get some ANR action.

In a way, I'm looking forward to conversations with more shouting.

Ty
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have a walkman I wear when working out.

Will never own an ipod unless they are $39.95

Generic MP3 players with 512Mb of storage are in that price range.
I'll wear one occasionally when doing chores by myself,but generally I'll only use it to listen to the radio,and only when others aren't around. It's lighter than the walkman,and uses a cheap rechargeable AAA.

I think a lot of people use them because they don't really want to talk to those whom they would otherwise have to interact with when shopping,working,etc.
That seems to be the case here at my workplace. Folks tune in,so they can tune others out. Whatever...more silence for me.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
There are IPods that don't sound like shit.

RedWine modded IPod.

...just get an Iaudio 96db SNR baby!!! Love mine.

Also have a Zune which actually sounds worse than the Ipod, which sounds like dog shit, though I do like the Zune UI...too bad it sounds listening to your neighbors stereo though the drywall. Im a discerning listener.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Frankly, I could careless. If people want to listen to music, so be it. If they're not hurting anyone while they are walking around in a mall, walking down the street, doing whatever, as long as it's not endangering anyone else, who gives a shit if they are listening to music?

Bluetooth headsets on the other hand, they are silly.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Bluetooth headsets are very useful for people who drive alot.  Talking on the phone with both  hands on the wheel is like kinda sorta safer and stuff......  

Bluetooth headsets while sitting at the table eating lunch with your friends??  Fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I see regular folks now walking around the grocery store, the mall, just about everywhere with a damn ipod in their ear.  Recently I met with a landowner who wanted to show me his timber.  It involved a 10 minute hike along an old woods road.  He simply couldn't make the hike without his ipod.  I mean good grief.

I wouldn't want to talk to you either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#50]
i see them all the time and I want to stick a ice pick in their ear
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top