Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2007 12:14:40 PM EDT
officials at this time have ruled out a carjacking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated: 1:46 PM
Man hanging onto car dies in crash
By Jason Meisner and Dan P. Blake | Tribune staff reporters
1:46 PM CDT, August 13, 2007
Article Tools
E-mail Print Single page view Reprints text size:  A man was killed early today in a traffic crash on Chicago's Northwest Side that, police said, unfolded when he tried to get into a vehicle and the frightened driver sped off and hit a tree.

The crash occurred about 3:20 a.m. in the 5600 block of West Barry Avenue, Officer Marcel Bright said. The man was trying to get into a car with a female driver, and she became scared and tried to speed away, Bright said.

"He was preventing her from closing the door," Bright said. "She was scared and hit the accelerator."

The car went out of control, veered around a corner and slammed into a tree, Bright said. The man, who was still hanging onto the car, was thrown off at impact and died there.

The victim, who appeared to be in his 30s, was unidentified as of this afternoon, according to a Cook County medical examiner's office spokesman.

The woman was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in an undisclosed condition, Bright said. He said authorities were still trying to determine whether she knew the man but added that it did not appear he was trying to carjack or rob her.

"At this time there's no indication there was a robbery attempt involved," Bright said.

Grand Central Area detectives were investigating.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF over.

They don't know if she knew him or not, but they don't think there's any indication of a carjacking?  

Because, what, people ALWAYS hang on to each others' moving cars there?

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
$10 on DV
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll take "tried to stop the drunk girl friend for 500 Alex"
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
She should have just reported someone trying to get into her car and waited for the police to come take care of it. But now we have people killing people with cars instead of guns. Better take all the cars away!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
She should have just reported someone trying to get into her car and waited for the police to come take care of it. But now we have people women killing people with cars instead of guns. Better take all the cars women away!

fixed
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She should have just reported someone trying to get into her car and waited for the police to come take care of it. But now we have people women killing people with cars instead of guns. Better take all the cars women away!

fixed

Apparently -- you guys are gonna be a dying breed if this keeps up!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
When involved in an accident you should check that everyone is OK then isolate yourself and shut the fuck up.  Never engage the other people otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed

I know teh wimmenz are plotting this. You cannot be trusted. Thus, I treat women poorly. You see, it is all your fault.
jk
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fixed

I know teh wimmenz are plotting this. You cannot be trusted. Thus, I treat women poorly. You see, it is all your fault.

jk

That is fine with me -- as long as I get to be on top!! How's the gun shop treating you?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That is fine with me -- as long as I get to be on top!! How's the gun shop treating you?

Good. I even talk to the cashier I had problems with on a regular basis now.

No attractive women come to the gun counter sans fathers, husbands, or boyfriends though. Maybe they all read ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good. I even talk to the cashier I had problems with on a regular basis now.

No attractive women come to the gun counter sans fathers, husbands, or boyfriends though. Maybe they all read ARFCOM.

No, that's not it . . . there is a secret society of women who work at gun shops. I have warned them all about you and they have told their friends to be on the lookout! J/K!! I have to say I am continually impressed with the number of guys who will hit on an old, middle-aged, mouthy redhead just because she has a gun on her hip and works at a gun shop. You guys aren't too particular, are you? OK, this hijack is officially over. The hubby wants me to help him wax the car, so out into the Oklahoma summer heat I go . . .
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
  At the shop were one of my friends from high school works,
he once heard the bell on the door and saw a gorgeous big
chested woman with no ring on her finger, who wanted
a trigger job on a Glock, only to find she batted for the girls team.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
He's the victim?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He's the victim?

That's what crossed my mind as I read it.  Actually, I stumbled over that part and had to re-read it.  You start a sentence with "The victim..." and I expect it to be about the driver, not the deceased.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He's the victim?

Thats what I was thinking
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He's the victim?
He WAS the victim , after he tried to get in her car. I have done the same thing downtown during a riot after a white cop was found not guilty for killing a young AA male. There were AA males all over the road trying to pull a LA riot. I said hell no and drove thru the riot. Nobody try to stop me, thank God for that. I guess we will found out the truth later.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The hubby wants me to help him wax the car, so out into the Oklahoma summer heat I go . . .
OK, well, I guess I'll go watch part of Cool Hand Luke now...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I love happy endings.  Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
She should have just reported someone trying to get into her car and waited for the police to come take care of it. But now we have people killing people with cars instead of guns. Better take all the cars away!

Don't give Dumbo Daley any more ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top